Whats the worst trade you've ever seen?

I saw a log in a thread (which I can't remember which one it was) in which someone put a DSL modem in a cache and it was taken out by someone who left candy. or maybe some cheap toy. It was a really weak trade. Got me thinking about some bad trades I've seen. Wondering what you guys have seen.

I also figure this could become a confessional for some people too. Figure I wouldn't ask someone to do something I won't myself, so rather then say the worst trade I've witnessed, I'll confess that in The Jukebox (since trashed) I left a 70's hits CD and took a double Beatles CD. Felt guilt all the way home. Had thought about going back later & dropping off another cd but the cache got trashed first.

I decided to put into a new cache I created to leave as a nice treat.

So what have you seen? (or done) No bashing of anyone who confesses please. icon_wink.gif

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Gwho,

Close. I put a brand new USB Network Card with cable and drivers in a cache. ($40.00usd) value and someone took that and traded 2 mint candies for it. I have several of these cards so it wasn't too big of a deal for me to put it in a cache but the fact that two mints were left in its place was rather 'weak'. Live and learn I guess.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Gwho,

Close. I put a brand new USB Network Card with cable and drivers in a cache. ($40.00usd) value and someone took that and traded 2 mint candies for it. I have several of these cards so it wasn't too big of a deal for me to put it in a cache but the fact that two mints were left in its place was rather 'weak'. Live and learn I guess.

that's the one I was talking about. USB card, DSL modem, close nuff. they're both not found in a dollar store or in a happy meal

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Some rather new cacher started a thread sometime back complaining about the quality of the ''prizes''. Some people believe in help yourself. I think less and less people, as the activity continues to grow, will honor the trade, but trade equally rule. I'd start out a cache that has some higher quality items in it as either an initially for locals cache or a members only cache for a while and then open it to all.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I am all for people leaving good/interesting geoswag. I have spent an appreciable amount of time and money to outfit the caches that I have placed. I also make sure that I bring good stuff to trade when I visit caches. With that said, if you place a valuable object in a cache, it is fair game to anyone who has anything to trade. There is no rule that says you have to trade something of equal value. I am just happy that someone wants to take something that I have left behind.

Get over it.

RM

Sorry Rocket Man, I'm not going to "get over it". I look at it this way: There is also no rule saying that someone can't plunder a cache, but I guarantee you that when I recently had a cache plundered, I was not happy about it. I'd be willing to bet that you also would not be pleased if that happened to you.

In my book good manners dictate that one trade fairly. To not do so shows a lack of respect for other cachers.

I understand that you are saying that you trade fairly, so I'm not pointing fingers at you, but I also understand you to be saying "poor trading is part of the game, accept it." My point is that I can't and won't accept it, and frankly, I think it's wrong to accept it. If more of us looked down on poor trading I think it would be much less common. Peer pressure can be a powerful motivator.

Understand, I'm not so caught up in trinkets that what I find in a cache really even matters. Frankly, I rarely trade.

Bottom line: it's not right to trade down and it's not right to accept bad behavior. Just say no to unfair trading.

- It is necessary only for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

- attributed to Edmund Burke

My opinion only. YMMV.

Thanks,

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Brokenwing:

Sorry Rocket Man, I'm not going to "get over it". I look at it this way: There is also no rule saying that someone can't plunder a cache, but I guarantee you that when I recently had a cache plundered, I was not happy about it. I'd be willing to bet that you also would not be pleased if that happened to you.

In my book good manners dictate that one trade fairly. To not do so shows a lack of respect for other cachers.

I understand that you are saying that you trade fairly, so I'm not pointing fingers at you, but I also understand you to be saying "poor trading is part of the game, accept it." My point is that I can't and won't accept it, and frankly, I think it's wrong to accept it. If more of us looked down on poor trading I think it would be much less common. Peer pressure can be a powerful motivator.

Understand, I'm not so caught up in trinkets that what I find in a cache really even matters. Frankly, I rarely trade.

Bottom line: it's not right to trade down and it's not right to accept bad behavior. Just say no to unfair trading.

_- It is necessary only for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

- attributed to Edmund Burke_

My opinion only. YMMV.

Thanks,

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

I second that sentiment. I rarely trade. What bothers me is the reminder of what so many people are like. icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Gwho,

That was a very nice item to leave. But I don't know that I would ever have something with me that would be close to that value to trade with it. Ok two mints is not even in the same ballpark. But I don't know how many of us would be bringing $10 or $20 items to place in a cache and that would still be way under valued for a nice item like that. I kind of have two classes of items in my mind, cheap stuff (I am not saying junk) and not cheap stuff. I have brought both and traded for both. Sometimes have just left and not taken anything. I guess it also depends on why someone takes an item. Either they want something to remember the cache with or they actually want and will use the item. It also depends on why you leave an item. I feel like once I close the lid on the cache it is out of my hands and fair game. We all have to look at ourselves in the mirror. I just hope that whatever a person takes they enjoy it. This is a vast community of people and it takes all kinds.

i guess it comes down to manners. my understanding of what is going on here is that we have a gentlemans agreement to be fair to each other but some people just dont give a dadgum.

although to the person who put in the usb hub i appreciate you effort to make the game rewarding but as with stolen caches, plundered caches and vandalized caches your effort was probably wasted, but try not to let it get you down!

I had someone leave a broken plastic spoon in a small cache of mine. They had to break it to make it fit. Not sure if they took anything but would of rather have them take something and not leave the broken spoon.

--------------------------

I sometimes seed my caches with 1 or 2 $10 items. While I prefer to have people trade even, I've learned not to expect it. There have even been a few times when I've taken an item and felt like I have come out ahead in trade. More often than not I feel like my trades are even or better.

I am not mad or upset over the trade other than the fact that food shouldn't have been left in the cache. I don't care if the trade would have ever been fair because thats not the point and thats not the reason I put the USB NIC in there. I put it in there because I took a nice Monster Lego set and felt that was a fair trade. I also left the USB NIC to make room in my pack becuase with the manual, drivers, cable and adapter it took up too much room to begin with. I can't say that I won't do it again because I think its a pretty cool item regardless what is traded for it with the exception of penny candy. icon_wink.gif

Thanks St. Richardson for getting things back on topic. I'm sure mine wasn't the worst trade out there so lets here some more.....

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I once saw in a log some really nice new item (sorry, can't remember what it was, but I think it was worth around $35) taken for a yellow range golf ball.

My guilt? I recently took a stopwatch (used, but still nice and working fine) and left a new mini container of playdough. I had much better things to leave, but the cache was a micro and the other items wouldn't fit and I really actually needed a stopwatch. Still, I feel guilty. Should I go put the watch back? Or, should I think of something small and better than playdough and place it there?

I'll add a success story. I recently placed a theme cache where I loaded it (at some expense) with nice new items. So far, the things left have been pretty close to equal and I didn't expect that since the nice items were meant as rewards for first finders who maybe couldn't leave things of equal value. (the cache is Spring Creek Nature Cache). Of course, the cache is still quite new, so time will tell.....

I'll also add this. One person's junk is another's treasure. I once took a tiny, mangled chicken made out of a small (like 1/2 inch) pompom. I thought it was adorable in its mangled state and I also loved where the cache was. I traded something better for it (can't remember what). It now sits in my office and I still adore it because while it is junk, it is just plain cute and I got to rescue it!!!!