Black Friday = Day of the Jerks

Rubbertoe

I went out to get some deals, like the other 95% of the population today... and boy were there a bunch of idiots to be seen. I dunno - when I go out on the day after Thanksgiving, I understand there will be lines... I understand that stuff that I wanted might be sold out in some of the stores. I understand that there will be lots of traffic.

Evidently these things weren't considered by a lot of the folks I saw today. I saw people trying to ditch in line in front of people, which of course instantly turned the rest of the line into a grumbling frenzy. I saw people yelling at the poor cashiers about the lack of items... I saw people driving in and out of traffic, zipping past a slow car only to jam on their brakes when they come upon another car a few yards ahead. Countless people shaking their fists and yelling at other drivers inside their cars... some of them almost looked like they were having seizures.

Then the best example of holiday spirit... in the parking lot at the mall. I had a nice spot up front, and I sat there as I waited for my wife to get done with her shopping. In less than 15 minutes I saw about a dozen different cars where people were making gestures at other drivers about getting a parking spot, or getting out of a spot, etc... but the best one was when two people were waiting for a car to pull out, and then one girl zipped into the spot - and the other guy proceeded to get out of his car and stand outside that woman's car, yelling at her through her window. She wouldn't even get out of her car - evidently creeped out that this yelling guy was standing there.

Anyway? WTF is wrong with these people? If you are guilty of it, perhaps you can explain. I'd think it is common knowledge that the day after turkey day is going to be insane - and if you can't deal with it, perhaps you need to stay home and take your medication. icon_smile.gif At least it is mildly entertaining to us easy going folks... it was almost like I was watching cavemen or something. *laugh*

flag.gif

View The ToeCam

I was logging caches. icon_biggrin.gif

Took every last back road I could find and set the GPS alarm to go off anywhere near a mall or store (and thats a lot of waypoints) just to avoid those areas.

I still vote for one day a year when it should be legal to shoot stupid people and the day after Thanksgiving should be it. icon_eek.gif

I'm not Lost, my GPS says I'm right here....no here......no here.

quote:
Originally posted by dwmurphy:

I still vote for one day a year when it should be legal to shoot stupid people and the day after Thanksgiving should be it. icon_eek.gif

we can't do that. All the hunters would head for the malls - it'd be like seeding a field to hunt for geese, or dragging cash behind an ambulance to hunt attorneys.

icon_cool.gif

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step . . . and then I get in my truck and drive the rest of the way.

Here is a little secret. In the weeks before Thanksgiving, search the net for "Black Friday Lists". These will tell you what all the sale items are going to be. Go shop the week before Thanksgiving and buy the items you want and then just go in to customer service on the day of the sale and get a price adjustment.

"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

quote:
Originally posted by GoldKey:

Here is a little secret. In the weeks before Thanksgiving, search the net for "Black Friday Lists". These will tell you what all the sale items are going to be. Go shop the week before Thanksgiving and buy the items you want and then just go in to customer service on the day of the sale and get a price adjustment.

Yeah - several of the stores around here got wise to that, and pulled the super deals from their shelves (until today) when they learned that price lists and ads were being leaked to FatWallet and other such sites. Luckily I wasn't going out after any deals in particular - I was just kinda out there to look around and get whatever caught my eye. icon_smile.gif

flag.gif

View The ToeCam

I met with Ttepee today at the Sports Authority to go geocaching. I met up with her while she was in the checkout line. The clerk must have been a newbie. To make it short he did everything he could do to get it wrong, so I picked out a few cache goodie items while she checked out. On the way to meet up with her I followed two cars that literally ran every single stop sign, not even slowing down. I kept up normal pace, stopping and thinking to my self what the H***! are they crazy?!, and even though they ran stop signs, I, at normal pace was right with them the whole way, it did them no good to drive this way, they weren't getting any further ahead. I thought they must have been together but we came to a T in the road and they each went a different way. Idjuts!

So skip all the brohaha at the stores, we went back there later, but we got in three caches in between, and it was snowing! Good thing because we left some obvious tracks in the snow.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

[This message was edited by Planet on November 30, 2002 at 07:57 AM.]

There was no way you were gonna catch me in a mall today or typically any other day if I can help it. icon_smile.gif

I went caching with a buddy and we found two nice caches.

A minute in the woods is better than ANY time in a mall. Well, unless perhaps if one might be buying a new GPSr. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by ArchieDH on November 30, 2002 at 07:52 AM.]

I had to work. icon_frown.gif What can I say, retail.

Personally, I just don't understand what fervor is all about. It's not as if we don't know Christmas is coming months ahead. People know there's going to be problems.

We went caching Thanksgiving. We did downtown Charleston. Sissy is so smart. For those who don't know, Charleston is one of those high-class historical tourist type cities--tons of great restuarants, horse-drawn tours, one-way cobble streets, and tons of people. We tried caching downtown on a saturday on time, a big mistake. We ended up passing up a quite a few caches just because of the crowds.

Thursday, though, hardly a soul out.

Maybe, everyone was home sharpening their elbows and dulling their common sense.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Anticipating the crowd and the sudden change in weather, I used the last nice day of the fall to play with my dogs and solder parts of some Concho belts I am making, thus avoiding the jerks. Almost perfect plan, ended up going to the harware store for a pen torch to get some heavy soldering done, and there ran into some of the jerks, though fortunately nothing like you seemed to find.

Just doing what I can to keep the BP down. Life is too short as it is, saving 5 bucks is not a good deal when to do so, I have to raise my ambient stress level to "spending next Christmas in a nursing home" level.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

Some people get off to seeing and fighting the crowds. icon_rolleyes.gif I talked to a coworker the other day and she told me that she lived for shopping on Thanksgiving Friday even if she didnt buy anything. Too weird for me!

We were out for a drive and found one cache, hid another. Now if only we can get it approved. Seems ours isnt following the suggested guidelines to a tee.. Sheesh, guess we should have gone and fought the crowds afterall,,, icon_razz.gif