Sucking the fun out of geocaching

FLeghorn

I've found a unique way to ensure that no matter what anyone might say, "I" know that the cache was at least challenging to get to, even if they "found" it easily...hehehehe. If you check where my traditional caches are you will find that they have to be driven to over some questionable ground, and preferably in a four wheel drive vehicle. Once you get to the area, they are no more difficult to find than any other I suppose, they are hidden as carefully as the terrain allows. I've got log entries that state that the trip was the thing even more than finding the cache itself, and I like it that way. On top of that I try to load them up with great items ( in my humble opinion) and make them worth the trip. It's working so far at least, they seem to be appreciated.

Sargent 4 X 4

Matagorda 4 X 4

BB-35 4 X 4

Port O'Connor 4 X 4

All in the great state of Texas!!! icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Here are a couple other reasons why someone with a high find count might be more believable on a no-find log.

- I have been at this long enough that I at least know the reputation of almost anyone with a high count that would log a cache in my area. Including many from out of the area. I know if they have made their living off 1/1's and locationless. (don't go there)

- I have met almost every high find cacher in the state which also lets me judge their logs from a personal standpoint. BTW I have not met anyone yet that I would not believe immediately.

- I also know the local hiders, some are routinely easy and others are always a challenge.

I have a few finds myself but I am extremely careful about saying a cache is missing if I can't find it. I say I didn't find it, give some info on how I looked and let the hider make a judgement. Only if I notice more no-finds on it without response will I take any action. I think a lot of newbies are more apt to take a look around not find it and holler archive.

Back to the topic, if it's easy there is no harm in saying so, that doesn't mean it was a bad cache just that it was an easy find. I have occasionally been sarcastic in a log but it would be with a hider I know personally and is totally tounge-in-cheek, sort of an inside joke. I don't think I've logged anything that should offend someone not privy to our banter.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

originally posted by Breaktrack:

quote:
I've found a unique way to ensure that no matter what anyone might say, "I" know that the cache was at least challenging to get to, even if they "found" it easily...hehehehe. If you check where my traditional caches are you will find that they have to be driven to over some questionable ground, and preferably in a four wheel drive vehicle. Once you get to the area, they are no more difficult to find than any other I suppose, they are hidden as carefully as the terrain allows. I've got log entries that state that the trip was the thing even more than finding the cache itself, and I like it that way. On top of that I try to load them up with great items ( in my humble opinion) and make them worth the trip. It's working so far at least, they seem to be appreciated.

Sargent 4 X 4

Matagorda 4 X 4

BB-35 4 X 4

Port O'Connor 4 X 4

All in the great state of Texas!!!

Found all of these within 15 minutes! icon_razz.gif HAHA

I suppose our liking for 4wheelin has me a little biased. These were some of our favorite caches to find!!!

originally posted by Breaktrack:

quote:

Sargent 4 X 4

Matagorda 4 X 4

BB-35 4 X 4

Port O'Connor 4 X 4

All in the great state of Texas!!!

Found all of these within 15 minutes! icon_razz.gif HAHA

I suppose our liking for 4wheelin has me a little biased. These were some of our favorite caches to find!!!

I saw this last night before there were any replies and figured it would get some attenion, but not this much.

As for caches, I've looked at the descriptions for all of them. They're all too easy to even bother going outside. Don't believe me?...look at my totals. I guess the only way I can top it, is if I get a minus just for posting this nonsense.

Hey, it's not as bad as the two Texans on a bridge bragging about the wetness or depth of the river below.

I guess I did not explain myself well.

My reason for not logging finds online is due to the fact that I did not have a computer until a few months ago. I had not seen this web site until mid July of this year but I had been geocaching for about a year. Before technology entered our soggy condo a friend would print the pages for the local pages as well as those in areas of my business trips. Now that I am able to enter my logs online I am reluctant to do so as I will appear to have a very low number of cache finds and entering finds for the all caches I have been to over the past year would be tedious work. There is also a problem in that I have not retained a record of geocaches I have visited and my thoughts on the area. It is unfortunate I have not maintained a personal log.

As for mentioning an easy find in a log, this only becomes a problem for me when it is reiterated in each and every entry. I find a comment such as "SP7 technique, no GPS used, 0 seconds to find" to be rude to the hider of the geocache. The SP7 relates to a cacher who is locally famous for incorrect coordinates. I did not feel it was proper to point fingers by naming names.

Geoprincess had located the cache I refered to regarding changing the coordinates without first consulting the hider.

I do not know what trolling refers to but I gather this is not a good thing to do. I have had this nickname since my teens as I sprouted much earlier than my friends. I am still rather large but thats another topic.

Thank you all for your comments.

Pay attention to me, boy! I'm not just talking to hear my head roar! - Foghorn Leghorn