Negative log?

I'm not sure what to do in this situation......maybe ya'll can help. We found a cache relatively close to our home. We left an american flag pin and took a dollar. We then posted our log on the cache page. this morning, there was alog from the cache owner. This is what it said:

"Once again visited my own cache, with the intent of getting the American Flag Pin, allegedly left just yesterday. I looked all over the cache but could not find the pin. Are you guys sure you left it? Anyway, I took the hockey puck instead and left a pocket dictionary."

We did leave the American flag pin.....what happened to it I don't know. We're not crazy about the negative post however as we feel it tarnishes our integrity.....

In reading the previous logs from visitors it indicates that this cache owner is a 15 year old. And we believe that my son goes to school with him. We noticed that he had a cache hidden but had not logged any finds. We were thinking about calling him and seeing if he wanted to go with us once in a while so he could get some finds under his belt. Now I don't know..........

Anyway, what would you folks do? Would you make another log that the flag pin was left and you don't know what happened to it? Would you go back to the cache, leave something else (perhaps also finding the pin) only this time take a picture of it and post it on your next log? Would you just let it go as a bitter cache'r and move on with your finding festivities?

I hate to leave any negative logs, making this an unappealing cache to visit. However, one feels like they need to defend themselves........

Oppinions would be appreciated.

Geo-Johnson's

The kid probably didn't think anything of it - so don't you either.

Take him out caching with you... show him that the sport can be about finding other caches, as well as what other "goodies" might have been left in his cache.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

I wouldn't worry about it. I reacted a couple of times with defensive posts when the next person to find a cache I had found made comments about the cache was in the open or not well hid, when I was sure I had made a good job of it. As already stated, people find caches and don't log on the site, so it's not that easy to be sure - probably someone else came along and took the pin.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

Correction: he has two finds. Oh, wait, they're both on his own cache!

My question is, why is he looking to take items from his own cache? And logging it as multiple finds, no less? Maybe you need to explain the game to him.

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

[sARCASM]

Well, come on! you know how hard it is the refind your own cache, especially when its hidden in your own yard!

And what good is it anyway, going thru all that trouble to hide gladware in your front yard, if you don't get first dibs on the bootynuggets?!?

[/sARCASM]

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Hmmm, I had an owner respond to a log I made, where I mentioned the hike I made. The owner suggested that I couldn't have made the hike in the conditions. I did... so I emailed the owner to make sure I understood what he said. When he verified that I had made the hike, but didn't remove or edit his log, I responded publicly. It's all here

I don't think there is a reason to be negative, but there's no reason not to defend yourself. Or... you could forget about it. It's not really a big deal either way.

Jamie

I would simply write a polite note to his e-mail, not a log on the cache page with what worldtraveler said. May even mention that if he wants to log on his page to do so as a posted note, not a find since this is not how it is done. And surely, if he goes to school with your son, it would be a neighborly thing to do to ask him to join you on a cache hunt. He can always say no if he doesn't want to. And you can always not invite him a second time if turns out to be no fun.

Cache you later,

Planet

As one who deals with 15 year olds every day I think it's safe to say they don't always think before they speak (or write). It's a very self centered period of their lives and you should probablly just ignore the comments and take the kid caching. This is your oportunity to teach the kid something about geocaching, how comments effect others, and life in general.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

i wouldnt bother replying, but if you really think ppl will see you as a "bad" cacher because someone couldnt find what you left, then post a polite note saying something like,"im sure we left it and i dont know what could have happened to it"

id still offer to team up with this person for a couple "hunts". if they are just in it for the bootie and easy finds on cache checkups, they may not WANT to go on a few real cache hunts.

if you do tell this person that ppl dont usally claim finds on their own caches, i would try to "go easy". He may not know what he's doing is *wrong*, or may have unexplained reasons, that you dont know icon_rolleyes.gif

also try not to be bitter about this cache or person, you did have fun looking for the cache right? icon_confused.gif or at least you were distracted for 10 minutes icon_wink.gif?

whack.gif

[This message was edited by welch on October 18, 2002 at 07:58 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Geo-Johnson's:

This is what it said:

"Once again visited my own cache, with the intent of getting the American Flag Pin, allegedly left just yesterday. I looked all over the cache but could not find the pin. Are you guys sure you left it? Anyway, I took the hockey puck instead and left a pocket dictionary."

Yeah, putting that little "allegedly" remark in there was uncalled for, if you ask me. And, why is this guy trading stuff in his own cache? Seems kinda strange to me - unless he really needed a hockey puck for something. icon_rolleyes.gif

As for what you can or should do about it... well, you can e-mail him and tell him you would like him to edit his comment, because you feel like you've been somewhat accused - but, you run the risk of upsetting him, and if he is a weenie he can just delete your log completely and take your credit for the find. I'd still e-mail and tell ask him if he would mind rewording it.

I wouldn't add another note to the cache as he's likely to get cheezed off and delete every log you've made, or maybe even get more lippy with you. Like others have said, it really isn't a big deal - just keep caching and your reputation will be established eventually for what it really is. icon_smile.gif

Oh, and all that other stuff you mentioned as possible reactions would really be overdoing it, imho.

banana.gifToe's Photo Archives

It doesn't seem bad to me. Keep in mind that very often words in a message do not necessarily covey the writer's feelings at the time. Hence, all the graemlin icons to add intonation to the words. It doesn't sound like a knock or accusation and certainly nobody takes it as a negative reflection on you. I'd contact the guy and take him along on that hunt.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I don't think the way he handled it was right at all, but was there ANY chance the pin might not have made it into the cache?

The only reason I wonder this is the first finder logged my cache saying he left something. I happened to be at the stop a few days later and took a peek and it was not in the cache (what they said they took was gone so they did make the visit). I have seen other items left by this cacher in other caches so I don't think lieing about what was left is a normal practice.

I saw it as an issue not to make a big deal about, so I made no note or contact concerning it. I just assumed they dropped it without knowing or it met some other ill fate.

I think this kid definitely could benefit from caching with someone to better understand what it's all about.

We all have mental problems, it's just that some of us choose to show them.

I appreciate everyones help on this one. After listening to all of your ideas and giving it some more thought, we've decided to just let it go. I can think of a million conversations with MY 14 year old where I missinterpreted his attitude. icon_rolleyes.gif And lets face it, at that age.........it IS all about the goodies.

I emailed the cache owner and extended an invite to go with us. Havn't heard back from him, but my son talked to him at school yesterday, so he knows who we are now too.

We'll see what happens.........

Thanks again for all your help!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

[And, why is this guy trading stuff in his own cache? Seems kinda strange to me - unless he really needed a hockey puck for something.

I guess in doing that it keeps anything he would deem "junk" out of the cache. Maybe we should all do that. Hide caches for ourselves and only trade-in trade-up with ourselves. Then we only have ourselves to blame when the McToys invade our caches. icon_rolleyes.gif