Contact Info on Cache

jonboy

I'm just curious, what do most people put as their contact info when placing a cache. I am reluctant to put my real name and e-mail address, and would prefer to be contacted through www.geocaching.com. Is that acceptable to most people and how would you word that so that it is concise and easily understood by a non-geocacher who objects to the cache placement?

I also just say "Placed by The Leprechauns from www.geocaching.com" I don't want to write down a phone number or e-mail address, both on privacy grounds and because this information changes from time to time. But there are other hiders in my area who do give contact info., for example, a hotmail account. Those who give phone numbers, well, they're more trusting than I am.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

I always put my e-mail address on a cache. I figure it's all over the place anyways. I doubt spammers will pull it off my cache container. I also put my full name and home town on most and I've put my telephone # on some.

If you are reluctant to do any of that, you can put: If you have questions or concerns regarding this cache,contact me through WWW.Geocaching.com. Reference cache # GCxxx or username Jonboy.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on January 28, 2003 at 12:16 PM.]

I put my real name, email and phone number on all my caches. I want to know right away if there is a problem with any of them. Of course I also get permission ahead of time so there shouldn't be any suprises.

I figure the worst case scenerio is that it's found by someone who alerts the authorities, who don't bother to check with the parks department, who probably forgot they gave me permission in the first place. In that case, I am hopeful they will contact me before doing something drastic, like detonating the cache under the assumption it's a bomb.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I have a yahoo account set up just for that. The account is set up with autoresponders. If someone from geocaching.com or Groundspeak.com emails it, they get an autoresponse that includes my my GC user name, and all sorts of ways to contact me. I figure if TPTB have that email address (its ONLY used on caches I place) and is trying to reach me thru it, it's of vital importance.

Any one else automatically gets a response explaining how to contact me via my geocaching.com user name, and how to contact geocaching.com directly if there is a problem with the cache.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I guess my problem with just listing an email address, anonymous or not, is that I highly doubt anyone would go through the trouble to try and track you down through email.

I think it's much more likely that if an authority finds it they are not going to sit around and wait for a response... picking up the phone is so much easier.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A