State Parks and Geocaching

koneko

Hi there - the newly formed GeoCKy (geocachers of central kentucky) are also following this line and we are looking for any and all help with compiling evidence that geocaching is both good and bad (good for our presentation, bad to let us know what we will be presented with), also other parks rules and regulations. (yes i've seen the ' Pro-Geocaching Land Managers - Correspondance' thread - i wanted to single out state parks.) if you have the time to either post here a link to park rules, or park discussions, or experiences you've had, that would be great - what would be even better is if you could email them to me =)

okoneko@hotmail.com

thanks!

jenn

Hi,

I'll keep the discussion here so everybody benefits. icon_wink.gif

You already know all the positive things about geocaching, and the way in which most geocachers are sensitive to the environment (well, at least as sensitive as any hikers I've seen! icon_biggrin.gif

What could the eco-freaks bombard you with? You really need to know? They have problems with people doing yardwork, let alone caching in a state park. icon_wink.gif

They'll hit you with how people venture off trail an "disturb" habitats when placing a cache. They are right. Most people do veer off trail. Your response? Much wildlife ways a lot more than "us" and spend a lot more time trampling about. Placing a cache is a lot less "damaging" to the environment than building a house, and that should be your constant "throwback" to the eco-freaks. icon_biggrin.gif Make sure they live in a tent suspended in air with no ties into trees before they yammer about a light box which is not carelessly abandoned litter.

"Off-trail" is probably a more commonly used argument against people otherwise enjoying the planet. But I'm not gonna argue against the ecofreaks, I'm trying to repeat what I've heard 'em say. icon_wink.gif

Environmental "terrorism." That's right, a box could be endangering Stuart Little's house.

Leaving trash. Hey, they'll make the argument and that's probably the only one I'd see eye-to-eye on them with. But I'd see eye-to-eye with anyone arguing against outdoorsmen/women strewing their garbage about the place. There's only one thing I don't "trash out" and that's the same thing bears don't "trash out." icon_biggrin.gif If I was out 4-wheeling, oddly enough, I'd have no problem with a crapperbag on the rear of my rig (most all responsible wheelers do that now, anyway). Still, the majority of cachers can detain the doot until they get home. But other than that, trash. Soda cans, snack wrappers, water bottles, etc. We've all seen this, and this is really the only thing that can legitimately make us look bad, IMO.

Well, I'll let other share what the pros/cons are. These are just a few. Remind them, however, that visitors to the State Park pay entrance fees to help maintain said State Park. Geocaching brings many more visitors to the parks.

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Try looking for threads relating to Arkansas and Pennsylvania state parks. Good examples of successful conclusions as well as the resistance you may expect intially until ytou can better educate the people who run the parks. Remember saying no is often easier than doing the research. I'd contact the gentleman who lead the drive in the Arkansas State parks and see what he can suggest.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48353

The comments on this cache depict what might happen when Park staff have to follow the rules, but keep in mind, most do have an open mind.

The Park Ranger in the comments is a personal friend of mine, and was partially responsible for that park allowing, supporting, and promoting geocaching.

My time, your time is limited, but time itself is unlimited.

The St Johns Water Management District in Fla seems to have one of the most reasonable set of rules and an easy way to get a permit. You can find them here http://sjrwmd.com/programs/operations/land_mgmt/geo_cache.html .

Also, after a bit of a fight, Arkansas State Parks has put together a reasonable set of rules (check the Arkansas State Parks thread in the General forum).

You might want to avoid using places like NC State Parks & Maryland State Parks as an example. Officials there appear to be pretty ignorant about our sport and have imposed ridiculious restrictions. You don't want to give the officials in your state any stupid ideas.

Also check with Erik from this website. He's putting together a collection of pro geocaching regulations.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

I am the Park Liaison Officer with the Middle Tennessee Geocachers Club and have been working with the state and city parks for over a year now and it gets easier every day. The last two problems to come up were GCB11A today and I expect it to be archived tonight , and this one http://pub64.ezboard.com/fmiddletennesseegeocachersfrm14.showMessage?topicID=1.topic two weeks ago . All the great park folks that I have dealt with are all open minded and will listen to what you have to say but, it is very necessary to start a dialog before something happens , that way you have a base to start from. I am not very good at explaining myself in emails so most of my meeting have been face to face. I do not know how helpful I can be with emails but just email me with your phone number and the best time to call I can explain it much better ……….JOE