What do you think of this???

The following questions apply to my cache GC5F16

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=24342

I hiked out to one of my caches today to check it over and replenish the water I keep in it. (we live in a desert). In reading the log book, I found that the cache had 2 other visitors (and possibly family-friends along) They did not mis-treat the cache, and they did write in the log book. The thing is, I keep some interesting documents in the cache on historic and interesting places in the area. Some were missing. I do not mind, they are there for the taking. But had it been logged on the internet, I would have brought replacements.

Am I being too picky here? I feel that other cachers might miss out on the documents if they are not there. OTOH, one 6 mile hike a week is it for me, so I will not replace them till next trip.

Also, your opinion... how do you, (or should you) log cache maintenance? I think it would be nice for anyone looking at the page to know it was checked out and OK on the date the maintenance was done.

Opinions and suggestions welcome.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, Tx.

Why not place several copies of the info in the cache? And maybe ask others to report when the number of copies are low (may need to make a list of what there were so others know if something is gone).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:

Also, your opinion... how do you, (or should you) log cache maintenance? I think it would be nice for anyone looking at the page to know it was checked out and OK on the date the maintenance was done.

I agree, it's good to let visitors to your cache page know that the cache is being taken care of. You should log your maintenace visits as "notes" (not "finds").

About the missing pages... I like phantom4099's suggestion of putting multiple copies. Also, do you have a "master copy" that stays in the cache that no one is allowed to take? (So that everyone can at least read the documents, even if there may not be a copy they can take home.)

And maybe you should put a big note on your cache page (as well as in the physical logbook?) asking people to report which pages they took so that those pages can be replaced. Good luck!

Colleen

Dralasites: biological, not geological.

Whenever I visit one of my caches, I post a note. That lets future searchers know that someone has been there recently. It also lets them know that the cache owner (me) is paying attention to the cache.

'''I wonder what Latitude or Longitude I've got to?' (Alice had no idea what Latitude was, or Longitude either, but thought they were nice grand words to say.)'' -- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Could be 'cachers on vacation without ready access to the internet. This happened to me a few weeks ago on a "first find" no less. I was away from a computer and felt bad that I couldn't log the find on the same day, but I didn't know what else to do. Finally logged the visit two days later when I got home.

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

I hiked out to one of my caches today to check it over and replenish the water I keep in it. (we live in a desert). ... The thing is, I keep some interesting documents in the cache on historic and interesting places in the area. Some were missing. I do not mind, they are there for the taking. But had it been logged on the internet, I would have brought replacements.

Am I being too picky here?

Well, yes, I think so, but only because you stated that you specifically went to "check it over and replenish the water." Since the documents were, like the water, "consumables," I would have brought extras with me just-in-case.

all I need to do is to learn how to post a "NOTE" on the cache instead of a "FIND". This could take all night. The cache is pretty full, not a lot of room for extra documents when each is 5 to 12 pages, and there are 6 documents. There is a copy of the history of the tin mines (where the cache is hidden) that is supposed to stay with the cache. The others are all historical information about various places around El Paso. Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, TX.

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

... The cache is pretty full, not a lot of room for extra documents when each is 5 to 12 pages, and there are 6 documents. ...

Have you considered using a program like FinePrint2000, that will enable you to print 4 (reduced in size) pages on one 8.5 x 11 sheet?

Posting a "NOTE" was easy. This is the ticket.

quote:
Have you considered using a program like FinePrint2000, that will enable you to print 4 (reduced in size) pages on one 8.5 x 11 sheet?

I could do this, but somebody has to read it, and making the print 25% of the size might make that difficult. It is already printed in "10" font.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, TX. icon_biggrin.gif

Posting a "NOTE" was easy. This is the ticket.

quote:

I could do this, but somebody has to read it, and making the print 25% of the size might make that difficult. It is already printed in "10" font.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, TX. icon_biggrin.gif

Regarding posting on you cache page about when you do maintence: I think it's a great idea. Post it as a "note" and log about it's condition, and verify that everything that should be in it is there. I try to do this as often as possible with my cache (soon to be caches). It really makes it alot nicer when the geocachers know that the owner of it knows that it's all okay.