Off-topic: Guns, target shooting, software

This has nothing to do with Geocaching, but since I've seen a number of gun related discussions here I figure this is worth a shot :-)

I need some beta testers for a new piece of software. It will be primarily of interest to bullseye target shooters, from novice to intermediate experience levels.

I am developing parallel software products for Windows and Macintosh, and need at least a couple of users from various operating environments:

- Mac OS X 10.2.x (Jaguar)

- Mac OS 8.6-9.2.2 (PPC only please; no 68K fossils, sorry)

- Windows 95

- WIndows 98

- Window ME

- Windows ?? -- whatever the Gnomes of Redmond are pushing this week.

The first beta should be available in about a week. It will pretty rough quality with almost no documentation -- features and docs to be polished based on beta feedback. The finished software will be low-cost shareware, but all beta testers will be entitled to a lifetime free registration.

Email directly to me please, lee rimar at mac dot com. Thanks!

---

LDR.

I shoot frequently, especially to make sure I am tuned up before deer season- and Coastal Rifle Deer season starts Aug 9, so let me have the software right away!

By the way, that's another use I've found for the GPS receiver I bought just for geocaching- setting up exactly 300ft. from a dead snag or log is a 100 yard target shoot.

-Huntnlady

How do they get a deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

I shoot frequently, especially to make sure I am tuned up before deer season... so let me have the software right away!

"Right away" looks to be around the end of next week. Longer if the weather's nice and I spend more time out on my bike than in the house programming (joys of being semi-retired).

If that's soon enough for you, drop me a line in email, not in this forum, because I'll need to ask some things to qualify you as a beta tester. Thanks!

quote:
...another use I've found for the GPS ...setting up exactly 300ft. from a dead snag or log is a 100 yard target shoot...

Even with WAAS and good reception, I think you'd still be looking at a margin of error akin to just pacing off the distance icon_smile.gif

L.

---

LDR.

quote:
Renegade Night: ...curiouse as to what the software does

1911: Whats the software for?

C'mon, that's a secret. Do you want the silent black helicopters hacking into my GPS again and trying to beam thoughts into my head? I'd hate to go back to wearing tinfoil in my hat, which I'd have to do if I explained it all to you here in public icon_smile.gif

Oh, okay, you forced it out of me -- it measures and scores target results. If you want to try it, email me and get on the beta list.

Now, where's that tinfoil?

---

LDR.

I use to shoot some bullseye yrs ago until every one of the gun makers and custom smiths started putting fuzzy sights on their guns. Also some black powder matches. In the military I shot quite a bit in combat rifle and combat pistol matches from local matches up thru international level. Not so much anymore altho I would like to get back into rifle shooting as I'm only a few points away from making Distinguished Rifle. My shooting now is either qual shoots for my job or for fun and games and hunting.

I'll help you out if I can. I use Win98.

Okay, thanks to everyone who replied (here and elsewhere), I now have MORE than enough beta-test vounteers in the Windows world.

Now, finding an few more Mac users to test it would be nice... Hmm, I wonder if there's a Mac Users With Guns group somehere?

---

LDR.

quote:
Originally posted by Lee David Rimar:

I now have MORE than enough beta-test vounteers in the Windows world.

dadgum... I missed out. Guess that is what I get for spending the ENTIRE weekend at the range.

OTOH, I did win the 600 yard slow-fire event yesterday, so it wasn't a total loss!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
I did win the 600 yard slow-fire event yesterday, so it wasn't a total loss!

the big or the little .30? (300WM or 308)

just curious?

300WM almost created a skip in my trigger pull until i matured with it.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

Great Orienteering Site!

PERSONAL PROTECTIVE MEASURES AGAINST INSECTS AND OTHER ARTHROPODS OF MILITARY SIGNIFICANCE

quote:
Originally posted by Theole34:

quote:
I did win the 600 yard slow-fire event yesterday, so it wasn't a total loss!

the big or the little .30? (300WM or 308)

just curious?

Heh heh heh... .223. Sierra 77gr HPBT match bullet (moly-coat) with 24.5 gr of IMR-4895, Winchester shells, CCI-400 primers.

Rifle is a Rock River Arms AR-15 National Match. Two stage NM trigger, 1/4 MOA NM sights.

It shoots WAY BETTER than I do! I ended up 3rd over-all in the match with a score of 710 X 10. Not bad for the first weekend with a new rifle. I need to dope the wind better.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:

quote:
Renegade Night: _...curiouse as to what the software does _

1911: _Whats the software for?_

C'mon, that's a secret. Do you want the silent black helicopters hacking into my GPS again and trying to beam thoughts into my head? I'd hate to go back to wearing tinfoil in my hat, which I'd have to do if I explained it all to you here in public icon_smile.gif

Oh, okay, you forced it out of me -- it measures and scores target results. If you want to try it, email me and get on the beta list.

Now, where's that tinfoil?

---

_LDR._

Thanks. I don't think I'd help you out as a beta. My shooting is can's and the like. This weekend it was the SKS vs. a Microwave someone left at the shooting range. The clips work, the microwave has some nice holes in it and now I have to figure out how to adjust SKS open sights. Odds are I'm not worthy of point calculating software.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight: I don't think I'd help you out as a beta.

Oh, that's okay. Your reply to this thread made it visible again on the first page of "General" postings, so you've helped me a little bit already icon_smile.gif

Actually, at the rate I'm working on this thing I think a version polished enough for a formal beta might take longer than I expected. Weather has been too nice for me to stay inside programming!

I might just release what I have done by the end of this week (even though it's not feature-complete yet) and let people play with it as is.

---

LDR.

quote:

Now, finding an few more Mac users to test it would be nice... Hmm, I wonder if there's a _Mac Users With Guns_ group somehere?

There's a few of us out here. We are few and far between though. Go figure. I'm not really into target shooting. I'm more the IDPA type. I'd be happy to look at the software though.

--

Not Necessarily Interesting News

In case anyone is still interested, the program I mentioned a few weeks ago is available -- sort of.

TargEval measures/scores targets from a handgun or rifle range. It's available for Windows and Mac (Classic and OS X).

It's taking much longer to finish than expected, so I decided against a more formal "beta" test period. I'm releasing it "as-is" in development form, and will polish it up as time permits. Comments and suggestions appreciated from anyone who downloads it.

---

LDR.