Blue Reflectors In Road???

Team Shuey

In my neighborhood over the last couple of weeks I have noticed a few workers that have a bunch of surveying equipment. Then it seemed that all at once there were little blue reflectors randomly placed on our streets.

I didn't really think too much about it, however the family went to dinner tonight, and I noticed them on almost every street we were on, and not just in our neighborhood. What are they? Are they some type of grid that they are mapping, or are they used for some other type of markings.

The reflectors that I am talking about are exactly like the ones that are white or yellow and they use on the center-line of a highway that are raised about one inch, and are maybe 3" x 3".

I have heard that they use them to mark fire-hydrons, but noticed that some do not have hyrons near them.

If you know what they are please fill me in? This is bothering me much like hearing a tune on the radio, and can't figure out what the name of the song was? icon_rolleyes.gif

--SHUEY

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

I was going to say that down here they use those blue markers to show fire hydrants, they are placed to one side of the center stripe, that side of the road being where the hydrant is. Since you've stated that there arent any hydrants at the ones you have noticed, then im not sure..

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

The blue markers are in the street to mark Fire Hydrants. Just look a little harder and you should find the hydrants.

Rocket Man

That was what I thought, but was not very sure. Well, I think that answers my question, and the one that I looked at, and couldn't find... It must be hidden in the bushes??

Thanks everyone for the response.

--SHUEY icon_smile.gif

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Most people assume that they're there to mark fire hydrants.

The *real* use is to identify the locations of evil-doer activity. Keep a close eye on anyone who lives near these blue markers and be sure and report any suspicious activity to the authorities.

Remember, we all have to do our part to make the world safe for large oil companies! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

Most people assume that they're there to mark fire hydrants.

The *real* use is to identify the locations of evil-doer activity. Keep a close eye on anyone who lives near these blue markers and be sure and report any suspicious activity to the authorities.

Remember, we all have to do our part to make the world safe for large oil companies! icon_smile.gif

Only from you InfoSponge!!!

I think I will now try and place one of these blue reflectors at the site for the "Tampa's FIRST Web Cam Cache"

so when you do decide to log this one... I can then "QUOTE" your above post next to your picture.

icon_biggrin.gif

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

I find it kind of amusing. While I was copying the link to the Tampa's FIRST Web Cam Cache, I noticed that where I want everyone to stand to get their picture taken is a FIRE-HYDRANT directly behind them.

SEE PHOTO:

icon_rolleyes.gif

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

[This message was edited by Team Shuey on October 16, 2002 at 09:19 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Cape Cod Cacher:

Snowplow targets... lets you know you are on the road when you scrape them off the street.

Those little blue and yellow thingies are more formally known as Bott's Dots. You can read about their origin here or here. Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shuey:

In my neighborhood over the last couple of weeks I have noticed a few workers that have a bunch of surveying equipment. Then it seemed that all at once there were little blue reflectors randomly placed on our streets.

--SHUEY

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Man, Riverview sounds like a place out of time. We've had blue dots marking fire hydrants for as long as I can recall (which is like, umm, 20 minutes, if you believe my wife).

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by oldfred:

Obviously these are secret government markers for UFOs. icon_rolleyes.gif

They're government markers identifying the aliens that are disguised as fire hydrants. This form was chosen to blend in (c.f. Ford Prefect, Hitchiker's Guide trilogy) so they can observe humanity in secret. The disguised aliens on the Penn State campus even have antennas sticking out of them to broadcast their findins back to the mothership. icon_smile.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

southbend8.jpg

This little guy way trying to disguise himself, and fit it with the locals!

----------------------------------------

flush3.jpg

This one however became a problem as he tried to out drink the neighbors during our last New Years get together. As you can see he lost! BLAAAAH!

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shuey:

That was what I thought, but was not very sure. Well, I think that answers my question, and the one that I looked at, and couldn't find... It must be hidden in the bushes??

Maybe your car was in front of it?? icon_wink.gif A lot of people around here seem to think everyone left a parking space just for them. icon_rolleyes.gif

GoPherStash

If they were surveyors putting the markers down (the orange vests and a box on top of a tripod that spins is the giveaway) then they may be "locating" something. Maybe they're preplacing the markers and somebody is going to follow up and install fire hydrants.

I know that if you really want to have fun with a suburban or farmer friend you go out in an orange vest and pound stakes in a pattern in their pasture and then leave a note on their door that if they have any questions about the new road/airport/toxic waste dump/take your pick that they give the county a call.

They survey the fire hydrants so they can map them correctly in their GIS databases. That helps both the fire departments to locate the nearest hydrants, as well as provide data for government officials (like city planning).

Other than the obvious high visibility benefit of the reflective marker.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

I noticed in a nearby city recently that they've put red retroreflective tape around each of their fire hydrants.

Lowest bidder. They got them surplus from Elton John's wardrobe.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Perhaps one of the reasons why you don't see the fire hydrant is because it could be in the ground with manhole access. They do that in Japan, and not being all over these great United States, I can't exclude that possibility.

Just a thought.... icon_wink.gif

VF

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I Know Space Shuttle has a laser that can pinpoint a location precisely on the Earths surface, maybeee their doing some sighting while they are up there??? Never Know. I Know they placed some(reflectors) during the Topography mission to sight the laser,I can't find out Info on this yet, but have the mission taped and Commander Kevin Kreigel's statements on this fact.The acurracy of the GPS locked on 4 satellites is.004, 4,one/thousandths of one precent in the center of the bull's eye. this has not yet been released to my knowledge/except when you see the cross hairs they show on current aquired targets ie. the caves of Afghanistan,but I have it on tape from NASA/ Endevor Topography Mission, in which all the current topography of the Earth is Based /Geoid 99 and Defl 99. thas all that i know at the present.

Tetrahedron in a sphere=GEOID=Perfect Pyramid. On all Planets there is a Geometric disturbance at 19.5 degrees!!!