PayPal, What a Joke....

umc

Ok so I tried signing up for a charter membership for the year tonight and the paypal account thing is telling me that I have to wait until my statement comes in before I can activate my account. What kind of crap is this? Is there a way around this? I think its kind of silly that I will have to wait a month (that I paid for) before I can enjoy the benefits of being a 'premium member'.

Can anyone offer some suggestions to get my account rolling today? Opposed to next month.

Thanks

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I need a subscription ID for this site in order to activate it and I'm assuming that I get that once I activate my paypal account because nothing has come in my email with the title Subscription ID on it.

Silly, this is just plain silly. icon_smile.gif

thanks for your help.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I need a subscription ID for this site in order to activate it and I'm assuming that I get that once I activate my paypal account because nothing has come in my email with the title Subscription ID on it.

Silly, this is just plain silly. icon_smile.gif

thanks for your help.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Thanks again but I guess I will just wait for the email to come through or the credit card statement to arrive.

Going to bed now. It was a long B-day and I'm tired as heck.

Thanks for the help and hopefully I will be a charter member at some point.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I had the same problem. I had to wait for the statement to get the code. I spoke to my bank to see if they could give me the code but they said that Paypal could fine them for giving out the code over the phone as it was a security breach. icon_mad.gif

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and take a look around once in a while....you might miss it"

I had the same problem. I had to wait for the statement to get the code. I spoke to my bank to see if they could give me the code but they said that Paypal could fine them for giving out the code over the phone as it was a security breach. icon_mad.gif

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and take a look around once in a while....you might miss it"

PayPal sucks but is the best choice we have right now for that type of service. I have been with them since they began and x.com before them.

Your problem is that you are setting up a verified account. If you had simply transferred money from a credit card without verifying you would be able to access it right away. Once you begin the verify process you just have to wait.

They used to post a few cents to your account and you had to get that amount and enter it in to be verified. If they are still doing it that way and you have online access to your ccard account you can possible speed up the process.

Rusty...

--------------------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends cache locationless!

--------------------------------------------------

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Had no problems signing up at all, but then I've been a member of PayPal for sometime, so I didn't have to wait for a new account to process (and) wait that email. I called my bank for the two random deposits and was able to confirmed quickly.

Quick and painless! icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

Had no problems signing up at all, but then I've been a member of PayPal for sometime, so I didn't have to wait for a new account to process (and) wait that email. I called my bank for the two random deposits and was able to confirmed quickly.

Quick and painless! icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

They gave me $10 in my account when I signed up with them a few years ago, and I've used the service for several purchases from Groundspeak and Ebay. I've never had a problem, and their security seems to be very effective. I've used the service for credit card purchases and electronic funds transfers from my checking account.

The "delay" you are complaining about is part of the security process to protect you and your account against theft. If you're really in a hurry, you may be able to expedite the process by registering your checking account with them. They will make one or two small deposits into your checking account. You can then call or visit your bank a day or two later to determine the amounts and then complete the verification process online.

Perhaps I should also mention I am not employed by PayPal; I'm just a very satisfied user.

Worldtraveler

Also, why the difference?

I also ordered some things from the online store like a set of travel bugs a couple log books and a few other things and I didn't have to use paypal for that so why do you think they use the two different services? Is there something different about the membership vs. merchandise?

Just wondering.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

When I signed up I seem to remember getting the charter membership very quickly. I think within hours. I remember some sort of authorization number I had to enter. I just received my credit card statement with a number beside the Pay Pal entry. I'm not sure if it's useful since I seem to be a full fledged member(?) of Pay Pal, judging by the advertising I'm getting.

I have been a paypal member for a while. I had a 'premium' account so that people could pay me directly with paypal - however I later put in a request (which they responded to relatively promptly) to be downgraded again.

I did this because it is free to receive money via personal accounts and they take a lot of your income when you do it the other way.

It's a scosh more inconvinient for the sender, but I'm cheap icon_wink.gif

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I have been a paypal member for a while. I had a 'premium' account so that people could pay me directly with paypal - however I later put in a request (which they responded to relatively promptly) to be downgraded again.

I did this because it is free to receive money via personal accounts and they take a lot of your income when you do it the other way.

It's a scosh more inconvinient for the sender, but I'm cheap icon_wink.gif

--------

trippy1976

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

I've had a personal account with PayPal since before the x.com merger, when you could beam money with a Palm Pilot.

I'm very pleased with them and how seriously they seem to take security. I'm getting a tad annoyed with all the "special offers" they are throwing in my face lately (although I did get the credit card...good deal for balance transfers...) but otherwise, I will not do business on eBay with a seller who doesn't take PayPal.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Ok so I tried signing up for a charter membership for the year tonight and the paypal account thing is telling me that I have to wait until my statement comes in before I can activate my account. What kind of crap is this? Is there a way around this? I think its kind of silly that I will have to wait a month (that I paid for) before I can enjoy the benefits of being a 'premium member'.

Can anyone offer some suggestions to get my account rolling today? Opposed to next month.

Thanks

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

I agree with your sentiments.. Pay Pal may be good in transfering cash between individuals, but if I am carrying AE, MC, Visa, and Discover Platinum cards, why should I have to go through this with Groundspeak?

BTW I sent them a personal check and they had me up in a week.

Just an FYI:

eBay is buying Paypal, and dumping the Billpoint.

The difference between being verified and not, is when you start with a basic unverified account, you have a spending limit. Everytime you pay someone via Paypal, that amount is subtracted from your spending limit. Once you hit your limit, you can no longer send money via Paypal till you upgrade to a verified account.

ie I had a $2000 limit when I opened my account 2 years ago. I have paid out about $1500 total over the 2 years in many transactions. I only have just under $500 left on my limit. Once I get down to $0.00 left, I will not be able to send money till I upgrade to a verified account.

I have bad feelings about ebay buying Paypal. ebay is very greedy. It was nice having a 3rd party pay service. Now ebay may change Paypals policies to make it even harder, more confusing, and more expensive to use.

Just my $.02

They are doing a stock-for-stock exchange to avoid taxes. The value of the sale is supposedly close to $1.5 Billion.... icon_eek.gif

Art

Proud member of YankeeToys

www.yankeetoys.org

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

Just an FYI:

The difference between being verified and not, is when you start with a basic unverified account, you have a spending limit. Everytime you pay someone via Paypal, that amount is subtracted from your spending limit. Once you hit your limit, you can no longer send money via Paypal till you upgrade to a verified account.

ie I had a $2000 limit when I opened my account 2 years ago. I have paid out about $1500 total over the 2 years in many transactions. I only have just under $500 left on my limit. Once I get down to $0.00 left, I will not be able to send money till I upgrade to a verified account.

I have bad feelings about ebay buying Paypal. ebay is very greedy. It was nice having a 3rd party pay service. Now ebay may change Paypals policies to make it even harder, more confusing, and more expensive to use.

Just my $.02

They are doing a stock-for-stock exchange to avoid taxes. The value of the sale is supposedly close to $1.5 Billion.... icon_eek.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

Just an FYI:

Just my $.02

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

The main reason I do not intend to become a verified member is that I do not like having Paypal authorized to access my checking account. If something goes wrong somewhere in Paypal, the last thing I need is to have it filching the money intended for my mortgage and utilities. icon_frown.gif

I chose to remain unverified, and when I reach my "spending limit", either Paypal can increase the limit or I'll just stop using them. (Or I'll let hubby register himself and pay for my purchases.) icon_wink.gif

Shannah

The main reason I do not intend to become a verified member is that I do not like having Paypal authorized to access my checking account. If something goes wrong somewhere in Paypal, the last thing I need is to have it filching the money intended for my mortgage and utilities. icon_frown.gif

I chose to remain unverified, and when I reach my "spending limit", either Paypal can increase the limit or I'll just stop using them. (Or I'll let hubby register himself and pay for my purchases.) icon_wink.gif

Shannah

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

I sent a check

People still use checks? icon_confused.gif I haven't written a physical check for about two years... and rarely make any sort of cash transaction either.

Its amazing how far online technology has advanced, and it will only get better. I enjoy taking advantage of that technology.

By the way, I've used Paypal a number of times, and have never had a problem. I had an unverified account for a while (they have a technical name, I think) and then I had it verified. The verification process (posting two small deposits into my checking account) only took about a day.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

I sent a check

People still use checks? icon_confused.gif I haven't written a physical check for about two years... and rarely make any sort of cash transaction either.

Its amazing how far online technology has advanced, and it will only get better. I enjoy taking advantage of that technology.

By the way, I've used Paypal a number of times, and have never had a problem. I had an unverified account for a while (they have a technical name, I think) and then I had it verified. The verification process (posting two small deposits into my checking account) only took about a day.

Jamie