Points to Cover When Talking to Media

Gaddiel

We had a reporter from the local paper contact us a few days ago, wanting to discuss geocaching. I realized that my opinion would represent the geocaching community (maybe hundreds of cachers), I found myself floundering for things that I wanted to discuss with her. One of the things I was unsure about was how to describe the game (sport?). Should we call it an adventure sport, scavenger hunt, or what?

Anywho, I thought it would be helpful for us to have a checklist of "talking points" to bring up when talking to the media. Here was my quickly-jotted-down list, but I'm sure you guys have many more:

* CITO program - explain how it works and that it helps keep our parks and lands beautiful. (I also took this opportunity to discuss how responsible and helpful the geocaching community is.)

* Explain that all caches must be approved by geocaching.com and that there are guidelines for placing them (such as no buried caches, getting permission before placing on private property, etc.)

* Why you enjoy geocaching - (gets me off the couch and into some fresh air, takes me places I've never been before, good excuse to go hiking, great exercise, family fun (kids love it!)

Any other ideas for "talking points"? Seems like this would be a good thing to have on the web site somewhere...

Gaddiel

Just a quick google brings back this article and this scary number:

quote:
The budget for repairs in western parks, which already have huge maintenance backlogs, was cut this spring by 28 percent.

It's just a small drop in an ocean of maintenance but I bet most rangers are happy to see us show up for trail clearing and trash collection.

Care the Deception of Imitative Administrator

Well that's a good idea!!

I wonder if the downloadable letter (which I haven't read yet) that geocaching.com has provided (for those who are hiding caches), has anything in it similar to or useful for this idea?

Kanto

templelogo.gif

Temple Kung Fu

"If you know about truth, tell me of it. If not, then I will search with you, together, in order to find it."

-Grandmaster Simon

I always emphasize that caches aren't buried. It seems many articles I read about geocaching allude to buried treasure and it gives muggles and land managers the wrong idea.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I've been involved with interviews or dealt closely with peers who have been interviewed on numberous occasions (working in entertainment, this happens a lot) and my conclusion is that the media will print their preconception before they print the truth. It's scary to think that all news agencies are like that to some extent.

I've read several cachers statements that they talked about CITO and it would be completely ignored in the article they were interviewed for and they ALWAYS have to mention "buried treasure". *sigh*

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I would also ask if you can review the finished article before it is published. I would word it in a way that doesn't sound like, "I don't trust you journalist-type people and what you print..." though. icon_smile.gif

But, like Team Kender mentioned, the media will print what they think will get the most attention, such as "burried treasure", "tromping through the woods", "GeoCaching was invented by Bill Clinton", "GeoCachers bitten by misquitos are spreading the West Nile Virus across the States," etc and leave out the good stuff such as CITO, it's a cheap hobby, it's fun and good for you, etc.

Just my two cents...

Brad

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.

WARNING: TANGENT (I think)

I guess different media obey different laws and regulations when it has to do with how much control they have over the stories they receive...so is there a way to ensure what you say is indeed printed accurately? A contract? But, in the end, if that contract did work, it would be an ALL or NOTHING situation (with certain medias).

I guess most people aren't interested in the truth, or are they? Perhaps certain truths, at certain times, but not all. There is much more than can be said on this (and that is useful), but will leave it at that for now.

...and the blinds were ripped open to reveal another set of blinds...

Kanto

templelogo.gif

Temple Kung Fu

"If you know about truth, tell me of it. If not, then I will search with you, together, in order to find it."

-Grandmaster Simon

Bah, the best we can possibly hope for each time geocaching gets some media attention is that it's not like whenever there is a tornado or a flood somewhere. It seems they always interview the guy with the 4 days worth of scraggly facial hair & wearing a dirty "wife beater" T-shirt, holding a can of beer while hitchin' his pants up over his butt crack. "I seed it a'cummin' an ah yelled et mah wyfe, git da kids an da dogs and ats when da roof blowed plum off'n tha trayler" LOL... I mean, the media seems to seek these people out, you know?

someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.

One important point that I didn't see in the replies above is that this sport/hobby/activity is very "family-friendly". It is something that the kids can enjoy as well as the adults and it gets the little boogers away from the Nintendo ("what's that big orange ball up in the sky???") and gets them some exercise. They might actually pick up a little respect for the land while out there, too!

icon_smile.gif

Being a member of that d*** news media, I would like to say that not all of us are involved in some grand scheme to slant things to a certain point of view. You will find bad/ignorant/stupid people in every profession. Okay, maybe there are more than our fair share of egos in the news media, but hey...I bet you work with one or two also.

Just please don't clump us all together. icon_smile.gif

In dealing with the media in general(speaking of clumping it all together)....Ask the person calling you every question that comes to mind. (it's only fair, since they are asking you a bunch of questions) Trust your instincts about whether they are trustworthy or not. And always remeber that you are under NO obligation to say anything about anything. Just be polite and respectful..even if they aren't. I bet in this situation though...everything will be fine.

-Sushi of the fisherKings