Percentage of loggers......

Does anyone know the percentage of cachers who don't log their finds on Geocache.com? We ran into 2 groups of cachers last weekend at 2 different caches,.....so far, neither one has logged thier visit. I would do a survey, but don't have a clue how........ I'm just wondering what would be higher, the number of cachers logging or the number that are searching incognito? Are these caches getting WAY more traffic than one would think by looking on the online log? Once a cache is closed, are there more logs in the log book than online?

I had never run into geocachers that did not log visits until Sunday. They were at Higher Education on the Oakland Univ. Campus. That was their third find and were going on one more. It was their first day. They still have not logged. Not sure why.

It surprised me. I have no idea about how many don't log. And why would one not log?

about the only way you can do the survey is to go out and compare the log books to the online logs. Hitting caches that have been around long enough to give a good sample.

Also, ask for volunteers to do the same in their area of the country. You may just live in a section of the country where people don't bother to log online. Who knows?

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

That, unreal as it may sound, some people still don't own a computer and only get the cache pages off the internet at the library and so don't bother to log in? This wouldn't explain them not logging the book, but I cache with people who would rather not log. They are just in it for the hike and numbers don't count, neither does the game. It's all about being outdoors for them. I've only had a computer for 2 years. I fought it off as long as I could, but needed it for work, so I could work out of the house and not have to run to the office for every little thing. I'm glad now that I have it but I didn't want one. That might be the mentality of non loggers.

Cache you later,

Planet

I saw the thread title and thought you meant Lumberjack type loggers icon_biggrin.gif

I have had folks log their visit days or weeks later because they cache on vacation and don't carry a laptop or PDA like I do (can you say geek). Just wait and see. I like to compare my log books with the web logs just to see.

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

I compared the one log book I brought home to the logs on the web. There's was only one post at the cache not reported on the web. It was the forest ranger who stumbled across the cache. Although he didn't log it here, he was nice enough to leave a few updated trail maps of the park in the container which I scanned and added to my cache page.

Kinda neat icon_smile.gif

Alan

I've only seen it a few times. In most cases it was a non Geocacher who stumbled on the cache.

I wish all Geocachers would log their caches here. It's not about numbers. Its a simple courtesy to the owner. It lets them know that their cache is still there, what kind of shape its in and most important, that the trouble they went through to place the cache wasn't a wasted effort.

"Men don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

i started geocaching in march of this year and found 60 caches in two months but a few geocacher they did not like what i put in (money, change,dollars,ect) and i never took anything out. i was even told not to do this at there cache. i stoped loging that day in the log book in the caches or on geocaching.com and now have found over 400. just about all the treads i read on here are people complaing about other geocachers this is not what geocaching is to me but i do read some because there is good stuff here to and this is a good site

My kids love the money! icon_eek.gif I tend to like the different little gadgets and goodies, but to my kids, a dollar or a quarter or whatever is the true treasure. A quarter gets them something at their school store........and a dollar that gets them an extra item or two with their school lunches...... or a candy bar at the gas station on the way home from the cache........

Despite arguments from cachers that find counts aren't that important too many of them, I believe these are a major motivator in getting finds posted to the web site. Without them people would be just too busy, or forget, wouldn't care, or whatever. Probably half the finds or more wouldn't be posted.

Alan

quote:
...found 60 caches in two months but a few geocacher they did not like what i put in (money, change,dollars,ect) and i never took anything out....i stoped loging that day in the log book in the caches or on geocaching.com

Its a shame that you'd let a few rude cache owners keep you from logging your caches. It's a simple courtesy to let cache owner know that you found his/her cache, you enjoyed the hunt and you appreciated their placing it.

If everybody acted as you do, there probably would be a lot fewer caches out there. I know I'd be hesitant to go through the time and expense of placing a cache if I didn't think anybody would be finding it. And logging it is the only way the owner knows if it's being found.

"Men don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

I've placed 26 caches, & in doing cache maintenance on the caches, I've always found that there are more logs in the log book than on the website. Find counts mean very little to me, but I'll always log my find on the site, just to let the cache owner know the condition of the cache & the surrounding area. I think that's an important part of the game. icon_wink.gif

"Gimpy"

I was amazed at the amount of cachers that write in my log books but don't log the find on the GC dot com pages.

I first learned of this when I wrote down all the names from the log book to match them with the photos from the cache cameras. It made it pretty interesting trying to compare the names and photos.

At one of my caches, about 75% of signatures in the log book do not appear on the GC dot com page. This is mostly due to a local resort sending people on a treasure hunt to find my cache without using a GPSR.

I wonder why people don't log their finds on the cache page? Perhaps these are people without regular internet access, such as those using their computers at work or the library?

>

quote:
Originally posted by GrouseTales:

At one of my caches, about 75% of signatures in the log book do not appear on the GC dot com page. This is mostly due to a local resort sending people on a treasure hunt to find my cache without using a GPSR.

That sounds like a neat story. Any elaboration possible?

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.