Ideas for Big Brother geocache

I have no access in the Survey group, so I'll ask here. I am about to place a cache behind the CBS lot with a great view of the set of Big Brother. They are not currently filming, but when they are, you can see the place where they live for the duration of the show. The set is pretty big and is still set up, so I am assuming that they will go for a third season.

I am wondering what type of items would go in a cache with the Big Brother theme. A copy of the novel by George Orwell? Spy equipment/camera? Any other ideas?

How about posting the coordinates themselves. Should I just post them? Since this is an easy hike (when you find the best way into the river path) maybe there should be some puzzle relating to the theme to get the coordinates? Help me brainstorm this one out, because I don't want to make another simple urban cache like so many others. Here in Hollywood, you are limited with the wilderness areas available, but with an urban cache, I'd like there to be something unique about any cache I place. Thanks for the input.

Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com

It is public access along the river. People jog and walk dogs there all the time. It is across the river from the studio's property. In Los Angeles, when you say river you are describing a big cement trough with a trickle of water in the center, if you are lucky. There is a dirt path outside the fence that people walk down. You can access this area with a little trail off the street without jumping or opening or otherwise crossing any private property fences.

Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian.

Did I get rated a one star for this thread because you don't like the idea for my cache? Or because talking about new caches is boring? Should I just place the cache with the coordinates and not try to spice it up with a theme?

I'd be an interesting spot to visit. I watched the first season but never really watched the second, my wife would like that kind of cache hunt since she's into the reality shows. I only watch the the great race anymore.

As for items in the cache..

you have good ideas already, How about some 1984 era coins, whatever you put in there won't stay long and will get traded down to trinkets anyway.

george

quote:
Originally posted by The Heavenly Host:

Did I get rated a one star for this thread because you don't like the idea for my cache? Or because talking about new caches is boring? Should I just place the cache with the coordinates and not try to spice it up with a theme?

I just wanted to state for the record (Specifically the B-side) that I didn't assign stars to this thread. I tend to go with one or five stars when I vote, and this would have been a four star. (Since it's topical but not necessarily fascinating to read)

The path on the other side of a cement river sounds like a dandy place to stargaze. Go forth and cache place says I.

I wouldn't have noticed had you not pointed it out! icon_wink.gif

As far as themed caches, I love the idea and all of the ones I place will probably be themed. For your Big Brother cache, you have to include a camera. A hidden surveillance camera would obviously be better suited to the theme but I think any camera would be appropriate even if it's one people use to take picture of themselves.

A satellite photo of the cache location would be nice too. Maybe print up a few and laminate them for people to take as mementos.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

I wouldn't have noticed had you not pointed it out! icon_wink.gif

As far as themed caches, I love the idea and all of the ones I place will probably be themed. For your Big Brother cache, you have to include a camera. A hidden surveillance camera would obviously be better suited to the theme but I think any camera would be appropriate even if it's one people use to take picture of themselves.

A satellite photo of the cache location would be nice too. Maybe print up a few and laminate them for people to take as mementos.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

As a huge Big Brother fan, I am happy to say that they ARE doing a third season this summer and it should start in late June. You can visit the CBS web page for more info.

Wish we lived close enough to hunt your cache when you get it placed. Would be awesome to see the the set, even if it is from afar.

icon_smile.gif

As a huge Big Brother fan, I am happy to say that they ARE doing a third season this summer and it should start in late June. You can visit the CBS web page for more info.

Wish we lived close enough to hunt your cache when you get it placed. Would be awesome to see the the set, even if it is from afar.

icon_smile.gif

Camera, of course. You could take a pic of your group with the set in the background.

Also, anyone know how to get a satellite photo for the cache? The ones on MapQuest are a little old. I can make out my house, but not the set. Is there a way to get a more current pic?

Also, when the show starts, there is a temptation for people to find the area and yell with a bullhorn to the cast, or try to lob a tennis ball over the fence with a note on it etc. Should I discourage this type of behaviour to cachers? Is there a more benevolent activity that would fit with the theme?

Also, there are houses very nearby and any unseemly activity in the area would draw undue attention to the cache, so I will make a strict warning about being discreet. Especially when the show gets under weigh, they have people on the lookout for crazy fans trying to get on TV. It makes for a fun experience. Since I live a couple of blocks away, I would ride my bike past there a lot and see what new and exciting activity was going on.