New horizons for Geocaching.....

I was just reading the news and the following caught my attention:

"The unmanned space vehicle, called the TrailBlazer, would orbit the moon for about three months, taking high-resolution pictures of its surface before crashing onto its surface. Private messages, cremated remains and other commercial cargo will be carried in a capsule designed to survive the crash, Laurie said.

The company charges $2,500 for a business card. Messages start at $16.95. Inert materials are $2,500 per gram, according to its Web site.

TransOrbital said the company hopes to fly regular missions to the moon."

OK, perhaps just a wee bit expensive for a regular size cache but.....

You can see that the weather is getting to me - I'm about 5 months caching without being able to interest anyone in my caches and with none nearer than 500 miles for me to look for - just looking for incentive here y'understan' icon_cool.gif

Nice to see someone with the persistance of placing 8 caches in hopes of sparking local intrest. All with nothing to look for yourself. I admire your enthusisam. I hope it works out for you. If I was in a simialr situation I do'nt know if I would have worked that hard to get it started. Good job!!

-------------------------------------------------

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

quote:
Originally posted by Oh! Bandeirante:

the moon

OK, perhaps just a wee bit expensive for a regular size cache but.....

quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer & Dean:

a cache....

I want to make one on Mars

-Jen

Well Geo means earth - and our beloved GPSr's would not work out there. But if you could convince someone to put up a constellation of satellites around the moon and Mars then you have invented LunaCaching which would use LPS (the Luna Positioning System) and MarsCaching which would use MPS (the Mars Positioning System). Now we just have to convince Garmin to reprogram our GPSr's for the new systems and to space harden them too. Will Tupperware withstand the rigours of space? And can you burp a Tupperware container down to a vacuum? How do you keep Tupperware from blowing away in a Mars 300 MPH dust storm?

I do believe that there are enough satellites around Mars to relay radio signals so that a Mars space vehicle is never out of touch with earth. We would only be asking for 5 times as many satellites.

CryptoBlue

quote:

Well Geo means earth - and our beloved GPSr's would not work out there.

CryptoBlue

Would all the satellites around the Earth appear as a single point or could you discriminate between at least 3? If so the GPSarr would work. Wonder where it would say you were? I assume for every point on the earth defined by a constellation , there would be a coresponding node outside the envelope. Is this right or did my wife put loco weed in my salad again?

quote:
Originally posted by Freelens:

quote:

Well Geo means earth - and our beloved GPSr's would not work out there.

CryptoBlue

Would all the satellites around the Earth appear as a single point or could you discriminate between at least 3? If so the GPSarr would work. Wonder where it would say you were? I assume for every point on the earth defined by a constellation , there would be a coresponding node outside the envelope. Is this right or did my wife put loco weed in my salad again?

I think that Mars would be out of the question. The moon might work - you would need a more sensitive antenna/receiver since the signal would be weak and interference from the sun would be unchecked by an atmosphere. The earth is a disk only a couple of degrees in diameter when seen from the moon. The GPS satellites have an orbit diameter of about 53,000 km so the furthest separation as seen from the moon will be 8 degrees. So the GPS satellites would not have very much separation - the error would be high. Of course it would not work at all on the dark side of the moon.

quote:
Originally posted by magellan315:

Great, now we're going to make the moon a dumping site for some companies commercial venture. Can you imagine what its going to take to clean this mess up some day.

Cache in/Trash out!

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"