Cache can Artwork

quote:
I am trying to figure out the best way to label the outside with the geocaching.com identifier.

For the artistic challenged (me), you can print weather proof labels from Avery on a laser printer. http://www.avery.com/products/select_prod_style.jsp?prod_type_code=1000066&catalog_code=WEB01&slted=Weatherproof+Labels&pname=Labels&purl=select_category.jsp%3Fcatalog_code%3DWEB01%26cat_code%3D4&pname=Address+%26+Shipping+Labels&purl=select_prod_type.jsp%3Fitemcat_code%3D4102%26catalog_code%3DWEB01

I did some on my first (micro) cache and did a www.geocaching.com bumper sticker. (My truck windows are too dark for the window cling I purchased.)

The best things in life are not things...

Now Open... http://www.geoindiana.com <-Click It! You know you want to!

quote:
Originally posted by littlefrog:

quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:

Tell me what you think, any pics of containers you have painted.

Cool! What did you use to put the design on? I am trying to figure out the best way to label the outside with the geocaching.com identifier.

When I had these made...

12709_400.JPG

I had them cut 8, 6"x6" geocaching logos with "GEOCACHING.COM" in Arial caps under them out of black vinyl. I painted the can primer gray then put the decal on and made the stripes with regular masking tape. Sprayed flat black over the whole thing, let it dry for awhile then pulled off the tape and decals. I still had the lettering from the logo cut out and put that along one of the stripes. Some of the paint on the logo came off with the decal so I touched it up with a sharpie. I also use a sharpie or a marks-a-lot to mark the container, never seen it come off before.

Here's one I've been playing with. I painted the Ammo can brown (this is for a desert setting) and while the paint was still wet I poured clean sand on it and let it dry. Then I spray painted the black stripes on each side and poured sand on that also. Gives it a cool ruff texture. The left side of the picture is a close up of the top.

I haven't put any of the Geocaching logos on yet. Still thinking about those.

Ponyboygeoammo4.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Monz:

Nice one... I never thought of single colour background... doh!

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/8428_500.jpg http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/8428_600.jpg

Took me ages too icon_biggrin.gif

Is that thing lined in velvet?

In the GPS model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line...through creeks, thorn bushes, horse piles, whatever....

quote:
Originally posted by Monz:

Nice one... I never thought of single colour background... doh!

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/8428_500.jpg http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/8428_600.jpg

Took me ages too icon_biggrin.gif

Is that thing lined in velvet?

In the GPS model of the universe, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line...through creeks, thorn bushes, horse piles, whatever....

This is a softer version of the cammo colors.I wanted to go for the shadows and fall colors.

ammocan2.jpgammocan1.jpg

KernBob

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. -- Shunryu Suzuki

Drive Fast, Take Chances. --(amongst others) Jon Bedford

Oh Yes, I did recut the stenciland repaint the can to read "geocaching.com"

Kb

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. -- Shunryu Suzuki

Drive Fast, Take Chances. --(amongst others) Jon Bedford

Whoa velvet linning.....so what kinda prizes did you put in there?

Mine's not nearly as artistic.....But our Hobbit - Bag End cache box has shinny gold lettering then I spatter painted it with shinny gold....It came out looking "up scale cammof. ish"

I'm going to a cache event in a couple of weeks and I was thinking of linning an ammo box (we found one of ours that had been stolen) with tin foil and a zip lock bag and filling it with chocolate chip cookies.......

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

quote:
Originally posted by DxChallenged:

Whoa velvet linning.....so what kinda prizes did you put in there?

The contents are part of the surprise of the cache...

The lining seems to be holding up OK... I secured the lining using a hotmelt glue gun in the hope it resisted the moisture better

quote:
Originally posted by ponyboy93:

Hope this works! See above for explanation.

http://webpages.charter.net/ponyboy93/geoAmmo4.jpg

ponyboy

[This message was edited by ponyboy93 on May 17, 2002 at 09:59 PM.]

Nice, if the gravel in the background is like the place it's going to be hidden, you might have tried painting on a pattern that resembled more closely the small stones. The pattern you used stands out.

I have played with the idea of going to the site where I plan to hide a cache, and taking a picture, and then custom painting a box to match the spot, whether it be grass, or branches, or rocks, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Hinge Thunder:

I have played with the idea of going to the site where I plan to hide a cache, and taking a picture, and then custom painting a box to match the spot, whether it be grass, or branches, or rocks, etc.

I thought of that also. I saw some water proof ink jet paper. Print out your picture and glue it on to the Ammo Can. Maybe spray some kind of sealer over it.

icon_biggrin.gif

ponyboy

quote:
Originally posted by Hinge Thunder:

I thought of that also. I saw some water proof ink jet paper. Print out your picture and glue it on to the Ammo Can. Maybe spray some kind of sealer over it.

icon_biggrin.gif

ponyboy

I just love "artsy-fartsy" caches icon_smile.gif Some of you might have seen these pics in previous threads but I couldn't resist contributing again. I'm currently working on a phony-rock cache.

My old stand-by scheme:

postcamo.jpg

Here's my cola cache:

postcola.jpg

postcola2.jpg

And finally my phony log cache:

postlog1.jpg

postlog2.jpg

A bandwidth hog?! Who me?!?!?! nawwwww Never!

-----------------------------------------------------------

sig.jpg

"Whad'ya mean you didn't save the location of the truck?..EEEK!!!..."

I just love "artsy-fartsy" caches icon_smile.gif Some of you might have seen these pics in previous threads but I couldn't resist contributing again. I'm currently working on a phony-rock cache.

My old stand-by scheme:

postcamo.jpg

Here's my cola cache:

postcola.jpg

postcola2.jpg

And finally my phony log cache:

postlog1.jpg

postlog2.jpg

A bandwidth hog?! Who me?!?!?! nawwwww Never!

sig.jpg

Geez, do I feel like a slacker or what. I pulled the ammo can out of its shipping box scrawled "geocaching.com" on it with a magic marker and ran out and hid it in the woods. Now that I've seen what real cachers do, I promise to come up with something a little more imaginative for the next one.

O.T.B.

No Matter Where You Go... There You Are...

quote:

Of course then I'd try to figure out how to make my own.... icon_smile.gif

The log is actually very easy to make ponyboy. It just a PVC tube covered in expanding foam insulation. I can't take credit for the idea as someone (ugggh I forget who..) originally posted the idea for a phony tree stump. I DO find that grinding down the surface flat as well as dusting with some chalk pastels aids in bringing out an added realism.

Cheers, cliffy icon_smile.gif

sig.jpg

quote:

Of course then I'd try to figure out how to make my own.... icon_smile.gif

The log is actually very easy to make ponyboy. It just a PVC tube covered in expanding foam insulation. I can't take credit for the idea as someone (ugggh I forget who..) originally posted the idea for a phony tree stump. I DO find that grinding down the surface flat as well as dusting with some chalk pastels aids in bringing out an added realism.

Cheers, cliffy icon_smile.gif

sig.jpg