Four-eyes

azog

Ok, probably a silly question/comment, but this is something I hadn't dealt with before - my glasses keep fogging up!

I attribute this to the change in the weather. Here in NJ, previous weather was hot, 90 degrees and above. I guess my body temperature was close enough to outside temperature that it never affected my glasses.

Now this morning, it was mid-60s, and I had a difficult time because of this. I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering how other people take care of this? I can take them off, I'm not blind, but it sure helps me to see where I'm going, if I'm climbing up and down embankments. Wiping them down every minute isn't very helpful, because as soon as I put them back on, they'll fog again.

----------

One banana, two banana, three banana, four.

Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Is Rain-X OK for plastic lenses?

Alan

Hehe, turns out I had some in the garage. Label says it's ok to use on:

Eyeglasses and goggles

Helmet shields and faceshields

So I guess it would be ok since I imagine the faceshields are more like a plastic than a glass.

Just don't try putting any DEET on your plastic lenses, some have reported bad reactions with plastic.

I've not had that problem with fogging and I'm wondering if it is because I usually wash them with hand soap. I know it will prevent fogging of the bathroom mirror so it may be a cheap solution rather than the expensive and potentially dangerous Rain-X type products. Also, my lenses are plastic. I know Rain-X is not to be used on motorcycle windshields because of potential damage.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I used to think that contact lenses icon_smile.gif were the answer, but my glasses icon_cool.gif have kept me from getting a poke in the eye on more than one occasion. You know when your buddy is ahead of you and lets the branch slap back? icon_eek.gif I am going to try the soap idea, sounds like a promising and cheap fix. If I can find my old glasses I'll try the Rain-X on them and let you know how it works. I think maybe a fan in my hat that ventilates the eye area would work too but it's one more thing to carry icon_biggrin.gif. Sometimes I just push my glasses further down my nose so air can get behind them icon_wink.gif. Also, maybe sport goggles like they have for swimming. The temperature inside the glasses would remain constant, maybe so no fogging icon_razz.gif? This is an age old problem for the sight impaired. If anyone has a sure cure I'd love to hear it. What about laser surgery!!! It's not a cheap fix, but it would eliminate the need for prescription glasses icon_rolleyes.gif, then you'd only have to worry about your sunglasses icon_cool.gif fogging up and you'd be back to square one again. icon_cool.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

I used to think that contact lenses icon_smile.gif were the answer, but my glasses icon_cool.gif have kept me from getting a poke in the eye on more than one occasion. You know when your buddy is ahead of you and lets the branch slap back? icon_eek.gif I am going to try the soap idea, sounds like a promising and cheap fix. If I can find my old glasses I'll try the Rain-X on them and let you know how it works. I think maybe a fan in my hat that ventilates the eye area would work too but it's one more thing to carry icon_biggrin.gif. Sometimes I just push my glasses further down my nose so air can get behind them icon_wink.gif. Also, maybe sport goggles like they have for swimming. The temperature inside the glasses would remain constant, maybe so no fogging icon_razz.gif? This is an age old problem for the sight impaired. If anyone has a sure cure I'd love to hear it. What about laser surgery!!! It's not a cheap fix, but it would eliminate the need for prescription glasses icon_rolleyes.gif, then you'd only have to worry about your sunglasses icon_cool.gif fogging up and you'd be back to square one again. icon_cool.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

The hand soap thing works great for me. I've got high index polycarbonate lenses (yes, I would have coke bottles if these things were glass) and the folks at my optometrist recommended against things like Rain-X. The concern was more about getting splashed in the face and having some residue get in your eyes than about the effect on the lens.

One other neat thing. Do you hate how your glasses fog up in the winter after you come in from outside? Next time, try walking in backwards. It sounds stupid but it works. I first read about this in Discover or Scientific American or a similar mag and thought to myself "bullsh*t!!". But it works.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

Many years ago I bought something designed specifically for glasses to prevent fogging. It looks like a pink stick of wax about 3 inches long. I've used it on mirrors and on my dive mask and it's still about 3 inches long! They weren't kidding when they said "lifetime supply". For eyeglasses you can either draw an "X" on your lens and polish it out, or draw the "X" on cloth and use that to polish your lens. The cloth will last for years.

I'd be happy to send you a piece of the stick if you email me your address.

It probably doesn't go along with the cheap solutions being offered by others, but there's a product that SCUBA divers use on their masks to keep them from fogging up (it'd be a bit difficult to wipe fog off the inside of a mask when you're 75 feet under water icon_smile.gif.) I don't know what its called, but I'm sure it'd be easy to find at a dive shop or the website for a shop.

It probably doesn't go along with the cheap solutions being offered by others, but there's a product that SCUBA divers use on their masks to keep them from fogging up (it'd be a bit difficult to wipe fog off the inside of a mask when you're 75 feet under water icon_smile.gif.) I don't know what its called, but I'm sure it'd be easy to find at a dive shop or the website for a shop.

Here's a blurb I picked up at this

web page

"Is RainX safe for Eyeglasses?

I posed this question directly to the customer support representative of the RainX manufacturer. Their reply:

Rain-X is a strong Alcohol solution before applied and would be an eye irritant. Once applied, however, the polymer will not harm the eye or be toxic in any way.

Rain-X is safe on all glass lenses and safe on BARE plastic lenses, IF THE PLASTIC LENSES ARE TREATED IN ANY WAY (scratch resistant, tinted, polarized, etc.) DO NOT USE RAIN-X ON THEM"

quote:
Originally posted by Runaround:

One other neat thing. Do you hate how your glasses fog up in the winter after you come in from outside? Next time, try walking in backwards. It sounds stupid but it works. I first read about this in Discover or Scientific American or a similar mag and thought to myself "bullsh*t!!". But it works.

If you have a Vista, or any other GPS with a magnetic compass that requires calibration, do the two turn dance just before you enter the house, in reverse gear.

Could just as well convince people completely. icon_wink.gif

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Runaround:

If you have a Vista, or any other GPS with a magnetic compass that requires calibration, do the two turn dance just before you enter the house, in reverse gear.

Could just as well convince people completely. icon_wink.gif

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by GatoRx:

There are a bunch of Defoggers out there for scuba divers. Defog

A lot of divers also use gel toothpaste and good old fashion spit. On another note - It's really easy to wipe out your mask at 75ft feet.

1. Fill the mask with water

2. Exhale through the nose while tipping your head back

3. Done - takes about 10 seconds

GeoManhattan

GeoManhattan.com

quote:
Originally posted by GatoRx:

There are a bunch of Defoggers out there for scuba divers. Defog

A lot of divers also use gel toothpaste and good old fashion spit. On another note - It's really easy to wipe out your mask at 75ft feet.

1. Fill the mask with water

2. Exhale through the nose while tipping your head back

3. Done - takes about 10 seconds

GeoManhattan

GeoManhattan.com