Premium MemberShip Question

ultimav

I have been considering paying the money for premium membership, but I have questions to what that would do for me.

For instance. As an unpaid member, for me to download caches to my gps to keep up to date. Every couple of months I have to:

1. Select and download each set of caches from each page to a *.loc file

2. Open the file with EasyGPS, and change all the "Waypoints" to "GeoCache".

3. Save it.

4. Take all the files I saved/changed the type, and combine them via copy/paste in easyGPS.

So that gets to be a pain with ~24 files to convert, not be mention I have to then go back and set the caches I have found to type 'Geocache Found" of course.

So.. If I was I premium member, would the custom query search and such, allow me to download a file off say containing all the caches in my state, with the correct type set for caches or caches found, and be able to upload that file straight to my gps?

I am also interested in the PocketQueries for my pda, however the mobipocket app does not play well with handspring Visor Deluxe. The scrolling crashes OS. So is my alternative for that to use the gpxToHtml, and plucker?

Basically I am trying to keep my gps up to date, so that I can go grab a cache on a whim without finding out later, that the one I was looking for is either archived or removed, etc. Also keeping description and such on the pda would be very helpful.

/dana

Yes, you are correct with all your assumptions. Give it a try...it's only $3 a month and you can cancel it if you don't like it (but I bet you will like it). You'll really like what gpx2html (or Spinner) coupled with Plucker can do.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

I would highly recommend premium membership, even if you are only an occasional cacher. It is relatively inexpensive, and the custom queries are great! I can't get out to cache every week, but when I want to the file is right there in my email waiting to be uploaded. As for the pda files, I would stay away from Mobipocket. Just use Spinner and a document viewer (I prefer iSilo to Plucker, but that's just me) and you are ready to go.

I agree about the membership and the PQ's. I have a pocket pc and only use one program for it, GPXview. No need of converting or using additional programs. Also if it's in a large metro area, like Boston, I can use pcoket streets and import the GPX files to it from gpxview and the caches will show up on the map of pocket streets. Pretty cool.

I've done a couple different searches on the PQ's. I've done the closest 400 or 500 and the furthest away was 37 miles. I looked up caches within 100 miles and around 1500 showed up!

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump