Unsafe Attachments?

WildcatRegi

I just fixed that issue on my father-in-law's computer yesterday. Seems like the latest update to the program automatically enables that attachment removal feature. Are they getting paranoid?

----------------------------------------------------------

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore,

You will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea.

I say, it's up to the recipient to determine whether they think the attachment is too unsafe. That's what the ratings are for. If I get an attachment and it looks unsafe, I abort mission. No one is forcing anyone to open an attachment. However, you should mention in the attachment description that it is potentially unsafe.

I would welcome more unsafe attachments in my area!

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

I say, it's up to the recipient to determine whether they think the attachment is too unsafe. That's what the ratings are for. If I get an attachment and it looks unsafe, I abort mission. No one is forcing anyone to open an attachment. However, you should mention in the attachment description that it is potentially unsafe.

The problem is that, with Outlook, it's not always necessary to actually open an attachment to have it run. Just having it displayed in the preview pane can be enough to cause certain attachements to be launched. (Thanks, Bill! Good job!)

On the other hand, there's the opinion that anyone who uses Outlook and doesn't have to, deserves what he gets.

Me? I'll stick with Pegasus. It's free, it's powerful, and it's next to impossible to "accidently" get a virus by just reading messages.

3608_2800.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

I use MailWasher to view my mail on my ISP's system BEFORE my email program downloads it.

I can preview/delete any email that I don't want and I can bounce spam back to its sender as "undeliverable". My spam has dropped considerably. Then with one button it starts my email program and downloads the rest of the mail.

Oh, and it's free!

geospotter

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

The problem is that, with Outlook, it's not always necessary to actually open an attachment to have it run. Just having it displayed in the preview pane can be enough to cause certain attachements to be launched. (Thanks, Bill! Good job!)

On the other hand, there's the opinion that anyone who uses Outlook and doesn't have to, deserves what he gets.

Oh, that says "unsafe attachments"! I thought it said "unsafe caches" (I forgot to close my tag).

But yes, Outlook users should make sure Preview Pane is turned off. Also last I checked, you had to do it on each folder individually. Otherwise, you might delete a dangerous message, only to click on your Deleted folder and have it open from there because the Preview is still on.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut