A vacation cache Exception???? Please...???

I visit family in Mammoth Lakes Ca. and near Laughlin & Las Vegas NV. every year and sometimes twice a year. I have and can prove local support in several other areas of the country that I travel to regularly. I.E. Lake Thomas Edison, in Ca.,Pacific Grove Ca., Santa Fe NM., and Santa Maria Ca. Will my caches in these places get approved? What proof do I have to give that I can maintain them?

Does the vacation rule apply to virtual caches as well? (If it does, I would like to know why.)

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

What proof do I have to give that I can maintain them?

• Cash receipts from local restaurants and attractions in the area for the last five years.

Affidavit from family members you actually show up at their house on occasion.

Cash receipts from gas stations along the way.

A security deposit in case your cache is abandoned.

References from three other cachers that you are an upstanding citizen of the caching community.

DNA and fingerprint samples.

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

quote:
Originally posted by Navdog:

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

What proof do I have to give that I can maintain them?

Cash receipts from local restaurants and attractions in the area for the last five years.

Affidavit from family members you actually show up at their house on occasion.

Cash receipts from gas stations along the way.

A security deposit in case your cache is abandoned.

References from three other cachers that you are an upstanding citizen of the caching community.

DNA and fingerprint samples.

http://www.moondog3.com http://www.moondog3.com

LOL- You were saying that as you put on your rubber gloves, with that telltale snap, I just bet. Hey Chevy, know howta sing "Moon River?"

In all seriousness I can actually provide 1-3 and #5. I couldn't in good conscience do #6, because if someone cloned the sample; the world couldn't handle another Eeevil Geeenious.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

If you really do visit these locations, you should at least have found some of the caches that exist already.

The vacation cache rule change began when someone placed a cache in an area and they hadn't even found a single cache nearby!

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

Ahhh, no problem then. Haven't been out there since I started cachin. A year from now this will be a moot point.

quote:
. Will my caches in these places get approved? What proof do I have to give that I can maintain them?

If I reviewed a cache placed by someone who had friends, relatives, or coworkers in the area who knew exactly where the cache was I'd have no problem approving it.

What you need to do, though, is state just that on the cache page; and be sure those local contacts can indeed go out and check on a cache if you ask them to. That would save the cache approver having to e-mail you to ask if you can maintain the cache. If you don't know anyone in the area you can use the "find nearest cache" feature to find nearby caches and from there find nearby geocachers. Contact them ahead of time and ask if they could back you up if necessary. Make those arrangements before placing a cache and indicate the name of the local geocacher on the cache page and we'll post it.

We want to work with you to get a cache posted, but don't want to post something that will become geolitter and hurt the sport in the eyes of park authorities and the public.

erik - geocaching.com admin

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

quote:
. Will my caches in these places get approved? What proof do I have to give that I can maintain them?

What you need to do, though, is state just that on the cache page; and be sure those local contacts can indeed go out and check on a cache if you ask them to. That would save the cache approver having to e-mail you to ask if you can maintain the cache. If you don't know anyone in the area you can use the "find nearest cache" feature to find nearby caches and from there find nearby geocachers. Contact them ahead of time and ask if they could back you up if necessary. Make those arrangements before placing a cache and indicate the name of the local geocacher on the cache page and we'll post it.

We want to work with you to get a cache posted, but don't want to post something that will become geolitter and hurt the sport in the eyes of park authorities and the public.

erik - geocaching.com admin

I'm right there with you and won't have a problem providing the info. I know 9Key and he gave me the same advice. He doesn't approve the areas that I will be visiting, so I wanted all bases covered way ahead of time. I play by the rules and don't want to hurt the sport. I've also listened very closely to 9Key's experiences and don't wish to give an approver any headaches. The stuff you guys put up with for no pay deserves..<insert clapping hands emoticon here> I don't think the average cacher has any idea. Thanks for the info. I feel much better now.

please, oh please please take a moment to find out if you'd be horning in on the local cacher's territory. even a frequent visitor can mess up negotiations for permission, or put a cache in a place a local would know better than to do.

i'd be toasted if someone from outside took a location i was working on.

that said, if you've done your homework, go on and do it. our locals very much enjoy caches placed by a guy we know who lives a long way from here. his caches are thoughtful and well-maintained, and as far as i know, there have been no complaints from land managers.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by flask:

please, oh please please take a moment to find out if you'd be horning in on the local cacher's territory. even a frequent visitor can mess up negotiations for permission, or put a cache in a place a local would know better than to do.

i'd be toasted if someone from outside took a location i was working on.

that said, if you've done your homework, go on and do it. our locals very much enjoy caches placed by a guy we know who lives a long way from here. his caches are thoughtful and well-maintained, and as far as i know, there have been no complaints from land managers.

The places that I plan to leave caches have been frequented by me for at least 15 years and in several cases for nearly my whole life. (36) I am a local who has been displaced by better economic circumstances. Most of the locations that I have in mind are known only to locals, because the average touron doesn't venture far from their car. I don't mind sharing these places with geogachers, because as a subset of humanity, I have found geocachers (that I have met) to be well above par on almost every level.

It's interesting that you mention territoriality of cache placement. I have seen some posts about that and I just don't understand it. It's like surfers beating up a guy because the ocean isn't big enough for everyone to catch a wave. Please don't take this as a flame. I would like to see a thread on this. IMHO, Ya snooze, ya lose. At the same time I don't want to **** anyone off that might drop kick my cache. I will have to take it into consideration regardless of how I feel about it.

quote:
It's interesting that you mention territoriality of cache placement. I have seen some posts about that and I just don't understand it.

I think a very small numbers of cachers feel this way. Personally, I'd welcome more caches by others in "my territory". It would give me something to find. Probably 90 percent of the caches within 10 miles of my house were placed by me.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

don't get me wrong. i'm not against people placing caches near me...

i'm against people placing caches when they might not have full familiarity with the sensitivities of the territory if they exist. sometimes only a local knows which land managers have given permission, and which will get snitty.

i'm delighted to have someone place a cache near me. if somebody places a cache in a park where i am in the middle of negotiations with the park management, that will tick me off.

i'm just saying do your homework and be certain not to damage works in progress.

Briansnat:

quote:
Probably 90 percent of the caches within 10 miles of my house were placed by me.

So if we triangulate the caches you have hidden and draw a line between them all will we be able to drop in for a beer? icon_biggrin.gif

Now that would be an interesting virtual:

Have a beer with BrianSnat icon_cool.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

So if we triangulate the caches you have hidden and draw a line between them all will we be able to drop in for a beer? icon_biggrin.gif

Now that would be an interesting virtual:

I can log that cache!!!!

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================