What's the most caches you've hit in one day?

slinger91

I voted but it didn't work. We've done 17 in a day and 33 in a weekend. It is easier to do when you are in/near a city with a lot of Caches. There are only about 100 within 100 miles of Missoula. But over 200 near Spokane, not to mention Denver or Seattle. *sigh* moving isn't an option and neither is unemployment...gotta strike the lotto soon.

-Jennifer

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. (JM Barrie)

I have seen this topic discussed before here, but I just don’t understand the large numbers per day that are being reported in these threads. If people are finding over 30 caches in one day, they have to be crappy drive by caches and I find most (not all) drive by caches are not worth stopping at.

The most caches I have found in a day is 3 or 4 and it often takes me most of the day to do that many. I find that the worth while caches all take some time to get to or figure out. Who cares about quantity if the caches aren't interesting?

RM

The day we did 17 was one of the neatest days we've ever had. We were doing a bunch of urban caches in a town we didn't know well. It was a ton of fun to find them and learn about the town. Most of them were thought provoking "Where could it be?" type caches that could only be found if you were in the right mindset. I.E. OUTSTANDING IN MY FIELD by Niskibum. And then, some were near enough to the others that it was worthwile to go get them while we were already in the park. Since most of the caches we haven't found in our home area are snowed in or otherwise inaccessiable for us currently (need truck) we made a special trip to Coeur D'Alene to find some awesome caches.

We'd never have seen the creativity that some people put into their hides if we had limited ourselves to just 4 or 5. If you are ever in the C'DA area, try the Gnome one and the Camo series, and Tubbs Hill park is a blast to walk around with 5 caches on it now.

-Jennifer

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. (JM Barrie)

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

...I just don’t understand the large numbers per day that are being reported in these threads. If people are finding over 30 caches in one day, they have to be crappy drive by caches and I find most (not all) drive by caches are not worth stopping at.

The most caches I have found in a day is 3 or 4 and it often takes me most of the day to do that many. I find that the worth while caches all take some time to get to or figure out. Who cares about quantity if the caches aren't interesting?

RM

To each his own. Not all geocachers consider most "drive by" caches to be "crappy" and "not worth stopping at." Personally, I enjoy just about any type of cache, as well as benchmarking. I've parked within 100 yards of some really nice caches, with scenic views, terrific trade items, and difficult hiding spots. I've also hiked several miles to find ammo boxes full of junk sitting out in plain sight next to piles of trash.

I've found as many as 20 caches in a single day. I also did 19 caches plus 9 benchmarks the very next day. Some of the caches were somewhat lame, but a couple were among the best I've done. The main thing is, I had a great time doing them!

As far as "Who cares about quantity if the caches aren't interesting?", obviously many cachers do, based on the responses to this thread, as well as the other thread you referenced.

If you don't like "drive by" caches, don't hunt them. If you don't care how many caches people have found in a single day, just ignore threads about how many caches people have found in a single day.

Now, go out and find a few of those long, difficult caches you prefer icon_smile.gif, and have a great day!

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

I have seen this topic discussed before http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=3060957535, but I just don’t understand the large numbers per day that are being reported in these threads. Who cares about quantity if the caches aren't interesting?

RM

I mostly agree. But this was a one of a kind deal with a party atmosphere. Of the 37, i only found 4 myself. heck some were found before i was out of the car. It was more about socializing and putting faces to cachers you've never met. I had fun, but for regular caching, I go for quality, not quanity.

"If I knew how thirsty I was going to be this morning, I would have drank more last night."

Rocketman. I have to take exception to your comment about crappy drive by to get that high of a count in one day.

Drive we do. The day I hit 31 was over 450 miles, over 19 hours and most of them where out of town and only three or four where within five miles of the next caches.

Several I had to walk over a half mile to find and a couple where a mile, one way.

There where a couple that where park right by them but when the caches are scattered upwards of twenty mile apart. A good high count, high quality hunt involves planning, pure and simple.

The first cache I found was over a hundred miles from home and the last one was around 130 miles from home.

I traveled the High Desert and into the High Cascades in over two feet of snow. If you want, I will get the id numbers for all the caches for that day and let you take a look at there placement from my house and each other. Then you can plot them all out and tell me how much of a drive by it was.

I was hunting on Diamond Lake with snow, I was hunting under Old Growth Doug Fir better the ten foot DBH and I could rant a touch more. Just contact anyone in the Klamath Falls or Butte Falls, Oregon area and ask about the area to find out how easy of drive by caches they have. Or come up this summer and hunt some to see for yourself.

I still think you can get quality and quantity in the same hunt.

Enough of a rant for now.

TTFN, logscaler.

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

Rocketman. I have to take exception to your comment about crappy drive by to get that high of a count in one day...

I was hunting on Diamond Lake with snow, I was hunting under Old Growth Doug Fir better the ten foot DBH and I could rant a touch more. Just contact anyone in the Klamath Falls or Butte Falls, Oregon area and ask about the area to find out how easy of drive by caches they have. Or come up this summer and hunt some to see for yourself.

Wow, I think I hit a nerve. I am truly impressed that you can do 31 good caches in a day and I like your idea of coming up to the Klamath Falls or Butte Falls area this summer. I have an old friend that lives in Tennant California, not too far from there.

RM

yea, I guess you did hit a nerve somewhat. Yours is not the first posting, either here or PM, that says we could not do that many in a day. And if we did, they where all crappy, drive by, virtuals, etcetc. Pretty much the same as what you posted.

Tell you what. If you get into the Bend, Oregon area I will take you arond on some hunts, If I am in town that is. I never know where I will be lately it seems.

Before we pull one of these long runs, we plan as far a a month ahead of time, we print out all the caches, we plot them to the laptop then check all them a couple days before just to make sure.

Anyway, anyone want to go hunt??

TTFN, logscaler

I leaving tomorrow for a visiting family/geocaching trip to the LA area. While looking at Buxley's maps I found a cluster of caches that looks like it holds 70+ caches in a 10 mile circle.

I'm going to see how many of those I can grab in one good hard day of caching. I'm going to see how many of those I can hit in a good hard day of caching. The only drawback is it gets dark so early this time of the year. I've got lights though.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Rocketman,

the legendary logscaler's adventure notwithstanding, slinger was talking about this event cache which was actually a pretty incredible day. Normally, i'd agree with you, as my day in bellevue in march (18 in one day) burned me out on the cache-and-dash caches for a while. I'll never do 37 caches in one day again unless it's with 19 people (again).

logscaler's right about going to central oregon, that's for sure. the navdog/moondog caches alone are some of the best i've ever done. Just stay away from Stars Cabaret: they have this weird dress code that prohibits wearing your baseball cap backwards. How odd is that?

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by slinger91:

Next summer i'd be up for a trip your way for some caching.

If you go to Bend, be sure to go to K- and B-Falls. Not only can you find a 5/5 within a half mile of a 1/1, but that area is home to the most hospitable cachers in the country. Give them 24 hour's notice, and they'll not only set up an event cache in your honor, but they'll probably let you camp on their ranch after they buy you a pint at miapia's brewery. I went last may (after the snow melted), and i'll probably go again this may.

And to keep in the spirit of this thread, i'm pretty sure you could get 50 in a day if you planned carefully.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed