A Boy Scout Geocaching Merit Badge

pinball

My son recently turned 11 and is in Boy Scouts. This past week we did a small geocache for his scout troop and they loved it. We explained what Geocaching was and hid 2 small caches near the meeting site for them to find.

Has anyone considered or approached the Boy Scouts of America and suggested a goecaching merit badge or perhaps an extension to the Orienteering badge?

There are many BSA camps through the US that could have private geocaches for scouts.

I doubt you'll ever see a merit badge for it. I could see some options in Orienteering dealing with it. The BSA has never been on the cutting edge of keeping up with trends, so I wouldn't put off the Eagle Award waiting on it.

Eswau

Hope I'm not going too far off topic, but in the Girl Scouts, you can (or at least you used to be able to) *create* your own badge. When I was a Cadet (and this is over 15 years ago), I created a 'Great Lakes' badge. Basically, you design the badge and the requirements to earn it. I don't think they really open it up for more than the individual scout/troop (I've never seen scout-created badges listed anywhere), but if they still do that type of thing at least Girl Scouts may be able to have their own Geocaching badge!

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Actually, I know that here in Canada, the Scouts can develop there own "Troop specialty" and "Individual" specialty badge. Part of the badge requirements are to develop the requirements that maintain the specialty. I have heard of Canadian troops doing this as a project, partly because cache maintanence becomes a day hike, and visiting other caches is all the excuse that is needed for a hike.

So, in answer to your originaL question, BSA might already have a badge that could fit the bill. Look for it in the book. If not, drop me a line and I could probably mail down some Canadian badges. Scouts is Scouts after all.

I am sure that Canadian badges help in other international studies. Who knows maybe meeting the badge requirements of another nations badge is worth a different BSA badge.

How about this one?

Being a bit familiar with the process to approve and review Merit Badges, I'd say if we could put together a case and started lobbying now, there could be a Merit Badge in 7 to 10 years. Your 11 year old son and mine could sign up as some of the first counselors for it!

Great idea. It just takes BSA a while to add anything. Merit Badges related to hobbies are definately part of the program, however.

If you seriously want to start working on a Merit Badge program, email me and I can tell you what I know about it. I would be happy to help!

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

My son is a Scout in here in Canada and we did the requirements for the specialty badge for geocaching. You have to write up what you think are the requirements and have the leader approve them and then meet them and he gets the badge. I will look and see what there were and post them.

But I think it would be better to have a badge for the use of the gps and how to use it together with a compass and maps before they are allowed out in the woods.

gm100guy

http://members.rogers.com/gm100guy/cachepage.htm

Ontario geocachers http://groups.msn.com/GeocachinginOntario/homepage

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59064

Great idea. It just takes BSA a while to add anything. Merit Badges related to hobbies are definately part of the program, however.

I seriously don't see BSA approving this as a seperate merit badge since it is one way of many of achieveing the same thing, Orienteering.

I do see, and believe they should have a section on it in the orienteering MB book. If nothing else to touch on the theory of GPS's and how they can be used both pratical and fun.

My troop is going to Summer Camp on the 22nd. We go for two weeks. Between the two weeks the scouts that stay for second week go to a movie, do laundry stuff like that since most camps are closed noon Sat to Noon Sun.

This year the Scoutmaster went out with us GCing and seemed to enjoy it so I floated the idea of doing it with the boys between weeks. We're going to split into teams of 2 or 3 and they will hunt down caches in the area the SM and I have pre selected. My three boys will help as instructors.

The second to last cache each team will find will be one we place containing either coordinates or some sort of problem to determine the coordinates to the resturaunt we will meet at for dinner.

BSA in general is slow on the uptake for new technologies. They really just got on board with the web in the last year or so. Must have thought it would pass. icon_biggrin.gif