Most victim's?

Doombot!

quote:
Originally posted by Doombot!:

I have a cache with 14 no finds and only 3 finds (82% Not Found rate). Can any of you site an example with so many people proud (or at least willing to admit) NOT to find a cache?

That's nothing. Here's one (not mine) with 5 finds and 36 DNFs. That's an 88% DNF rate.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

quote:

I have a cache with 14 no finds and only 3 finds (82% Not Found rate). Can any of you site an example with so many people proud (or at least willing to admit) NOT to find a cache?

That's nothing. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=50677&log=y (not mine) with 5 finds and _36 DNFs_. That's an 88% DNF rate.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2800.gif

_"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."_

Dapper Dan is in my region. I have yet to seek one of his, yet. This one looks like it was a special one, though.

Question: If there are a lot of DNF's, does that encourage or discourage you? Hmmmmm

I had one with 100% skunks until the area was completely trashed and the local cachers revolted and refused to try anymore. I archived it due to the unintensional dammage to the vicinty very soon after listing it.

The ones who logged a skunk got a hint emailed after as a reward for logging the skunk and were given the chance to hunt it before I actually pulled the cache. There was a beer and pizza event the same night I emailed the hint. The hint was passed around and everyone at that event decided to tackle this cache with the hint in hand. They got a kick out of it because the only thing in the vicinity that was not destroyed was where the cache itself was hidden.

Never have I tried to do one that hard again. The goal isn't destruction. Now if I find a spot that is indestructable I might. Maybe it will rate a 4.5.

I like the Dapper Dan Man cache. Maybe he solved the problem that I was having.

quote:

I have a cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=52451, with 14 no finds and only 3 finds (82% Not Found rate). Can any of you site an example with so many people proud (or at least willing to admit) NOT to find a cache?

You seem proud of the difficulty of this cache. Why is that? It doesn't take any creativity or particular skill to hide something in a place where you can't get coords and then gloat about the DNFs. Actually, it's kind of sad.

It's also not hard to hide a fake rock in a field of rocks, or a cache in the midst of a big area of ivy.

Just because a cache is hard to find doesn't mean it's a good hide.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

You seem proud of the difficulty of this cache. Why is that? It doesn't take any creativity or particular skill to hide something in a place where you can't get coords and then gloat about the DNFs. Actually, it's kind of sad.

It's also not hard to hide a fake rock in a field of rocks, or a cache in the midst of a big area of ivy.

Just because a cache is hard to find doesn't mean it's a good hide.

Let me address your "concerns" (i.e. crapping on my post) one at a time.

1. "You seem proud of the difficulty of this cache. Why is that?"

I have hidden a variety of caches, this is the most fun hunt of them all, IMO.

2. "It doesn't take any creativity or particular skill to hide something in a place where you can't get coords and then gloat about the DNFs."

I agree. You can get coordinates at the cache site, albeit a weak signal. As for gloating, I'm sorry if that impression was given, I'm happy that I have created something that has given other geocahers a challenge, unlike most of the caches (including mine) out there.

3. "Actually, it's kind of sad."

I find it quite a bit sadder that you feel the necessary to go into other's post and insult them, unsolicited.

4. "It's also not hard to hide a fake rock in a field of rocks, or a cache in the midst of a big area of ivy. Just because a cache is hard to find doesn't mean it's a good hide."

Agreed. I think we could agree that a hard to find cache could be a good hide. I think you could also agree that you haven't been to this cache, so you are ill informed to make a statement to the relative "goodness" of this cache.