Child Unfriendly?

Xitron

Well, we in Northeast Ohio tend to take the presence of any inappropriate item, ie. knives, ammo, drug or sex related items, etc, very seriously and make it our business to dispose of them if found. True, they pose a threat to children, but they also can be misinterpreted by the local police or rangers should they happen upon it. For heaven sake we had a cache blown up by the police here in Cleveland because they didn't know what it was... and all it had in it were toys! (Of course the police never opened it before they blew it up!)

So, we say why invite problem? There are lots of great cache items that can be placed without using items of an unsafe or questionable nature!

Happy Caching!

This world has nothing for me

And this world has everything.

All that I could want

And nothing that I need.

**** Cademan's Call ****

quote:
Originally posted by ChurchCampDave:

1 billion buddists and a handful of Moslems are certainly welcome to disagree but I expect them to gracious enough to grant me the freedom to express my views that they take for granted.

I never said they had to agree.

Whether I say it, God says it Buddah says it, Allah says it, Confucious says it, or even if Bill Clinton says it. Truth is truth.

GDAE, Dave

Having spent a considerable amount of time in the Middle East I will say your comment about the freedom to express your views is a strongly Americanism. They do not espouse the view of freedom as we do.

I was about to agree on the truth on truth comment, until you invoked the name BC. Anyone who bases thier comments based on what the definition of IS IS isn't necessarily telling the truth.

Of course, I'm only referencing a comment, no discussion about religion here... icon_biggrin.gif I'm talking about FREEDOM! and TRUTH! Noble characteristics all good Jeremy-Fearing Cachers strive to display! icon_wink.gif

I allowed even BC COULD tell the truth!

I mean, what the hades, the Devil even tells the truth sometimes!

Freedom of speach and religion ARE (pertineer) uniquely Americanism. They ARE guaranteed by our constitution. You can literally be executed in some countries for speaking another name other than the "god" of their choice.

We are getting so PC in this country that Christians are being persecuted for expressing their beliefs.

It is becoming "open season" on Christianity and I only ask that they (Christians) be accorded the same rights that the politically correct persons seem to think were written solely for themselves.

Symptomatic of this is various attempts to silence religious discussion, even incidental references that are common in everyday speech, on public forums.

It is getting to the point in America that it is only OK to say "god" in reference to his alleged position in front of a river retarding structure.

(OOPS! I gotta get back on topic: We gotta protect our chiiiiildren from this.)

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

icon_smile.gifIt is my opinion (to not use acronyms like IMO and upset someone) that you are quite right Mr. CCDave. BTW - I removed a cig lighter from a cache today in Washington state. I would rather have some kiddie cut his thumb on a little ole pocket knife than set fire to the whole darn state. It's dry here. Now, I'm not advocating for removing lighters from caches but at this point they seem to be more of a threat than pocket knives.

What are you looking for?

Back on topic.....I placed a cache today....no knives in it...lol A bunch of kiddie stuff in it, although getting to it, isn't necessarily capable of the smaller ones. So I guess my cache would considered child unfriendly as far as the terrain goes. Can't wait till it gets approved and see if anyone has a difficult time getting to it, or mentions it. I think there is a less strenuous, but longer route to it. We will see if anyone finds it that way.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Titus2_13:

By the way, in reference to an earlier post, what religion is represented by the term Amen?

It's a Hebrew word commonly associated with prayer in the Judeo-Christian tradition.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Can't wait till it gets approved and see if anyone has a difficult time getting to it, or mentions it.

I recall there being a thread or two a few months back...can't recall if it was genuine or just troll bait...complaining that the hider of a cache should have specified all the terrain hazards en route...like holes in the ground, thorns, etc.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

The owner of the site has asked that you not put knives in caches. A mature adult would respect that and not do it and would not moan about it.

Time to move on.

To bad this isn't a political discussion, I'd love to address the "follow with out question" reasoning brought up here. icon_biggrin.gif But since it isn't...

quote:
Originally posted by ChurchCampDave:

I mean, what the hades, the Devil even tells the truth _sometimes!_

Freedom of speach and religion ARE (pertineer) uniquely Americanism. They ARE guaranteed by our constitution. You can literally be executed in some countries for speaking another name other than the "god" of their choice.

We are getting so PC in this country that Christians are being persecuted for expressing their beliefs.

It is becoming "open season" on Christianity and I only ask that they (Christians) be accorded the same rights that the politically correct persons seem to think were written solely for themselves.

Symptomatic of this is various attempts to silence religious discussion, even incidental references that are common in everyday speech, on public forums.

It is getting to the point in America that it is only OK to say "god" in reference to his alleged position in front of a river retarding structure.

(OOPS! I gotta get back on topic: We gotta protect our chiiiiildren from this.)

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

Well, I guess it has turned political. icon_smile.gif

Goood Post ChurchCampDave. Isn't it odd that the 2 exceptions to the PC rules are

A) Thou shalt not besmirch any religion other than Christianity.

B) Thou shalt not make racist utterances or laws, except when dealing with W.A.S.PS icon_rolleyes.gif

This has gotten to way off topic, time to let this thread die. Religon and our beliefs do not need to be debated here. We are all here for a single purpose, to cache and it doesn't matter what race/color/religon you are we all have caching in common. Lets give it a rest and cache on. Let the thread die here.

I see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah

Something else that gets me is how, when someone personally doesn't like something (eg. knives, guns), they hide behind the excuse that it is "dangerous" to "the children".

Hey, EVERYTHING is dangerous to children! Ever wonder why there are so many recalls of toys, beds, pajamas, (u name it)?

Children are, (and to a lesser extent as they grow and mature), totally dependent on adults to support, feed, clothe, nurture, and protect them.

As parents, we must protect them from the serious hazards and let them learn on their own of the lesser ones. And the distinguishing line between these two steadily blurs as they grow older.

I handled knives when I was a kid. And I cut myself. That is part of learning what a knife is and what it does and how to handle it.

I handled guns. And I DIDN'T shoot myself. That is one of the SERIOUS hazards that we protect our children from. That is why guns in a house should be locked up.

See the difference?

What are some of the first thing a parent tells their younguns? Hot! Burn Baby! Sharp! Don't touch! No NO!

How about this one: (for those who worry that their kid might find a box in the woods and open it and die from a knife or come home with a rubber -which OBVIOUSLY should not be in a cache!- and ask mommy to blow up his new "balloon") "Little Johnny, If something does not belong to you, leave it alone unless the person who owns it says you can touch it."

It is truly sad how few kids seem to understand that simple principle and how much grief it would prevent if they did!

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

Dave, that goes without saying that the child goes home and tells their parents. Do I have knives and guns? Yes. Are they dangerous, absolutely. Have I cut myself with a knife? Yes. Have I ever shot myself? No. I've been shot with a pellet gun when young by a cousin and it did not feel good. I've almost been shot by and adult with a Ruger 9mm while doing training. Yes it's our job as parents to teach our own children and to protect them to the best of our extent. But, you can not do that 24hrs a day, without them being under your shadow. Kids go out and play. Have you ever told your child not to do something and they did it? Have you ever as a child been told not to go somewhere, but did it? I know when I was younger I was told not to go into the woods around our home. Did I? You better believe it. Why? Because I wanted to see why I couldn't. Plus if my parents told me it was something I couldn't do, then I wanted to do it even more. My parents were very strict. I was allowed to have pocket knives and the like. Did I do stupid stuff with them? Sure I did. Luckily I was not injured badly. I also had a BB gun at 5 yrs old. What was I first told, don't shoot at any living thing. What's the first thing I shoot at when my parents aren't looking? A bird. I also remember when I was a bit older, perhaps 13 or so, shooting the bb gun out in the back yard. I thought I was being smart at shooting at some fome against the side of the house. Lets just say bb's ricochet off of brick even through foam and back out. I hit just below my eye by about an inch. The fact is, that we can try and control our kids to the best of our extent. They are going to do stuff, when you aren't looking and you aren't around, even though they've been taught not to do so. Since we can not truly control our own kids in that aspect, then we can not assume other parents are doing the same. So do we say the he*l to some other little kids? If so, my kids won't be visiting yours for sure. Would you leave a knife or other "tool" that is dangerous lying around at home for anyone to get? If so, and someone gets hurt, try explaining that. Just as you stated about locking guns up at home, then yes a knife should probably be put away as well. At least at home, you can kind of control that better than you can the woods and a cache. Once again, I like knives. I like guns as they were part of my working career. But, I also know the dangers of them and the correct use of them. I don't know you or anyone else, so I can't say you do know the correct use of them. So I will not leave them for you to harm yourself or anyone else. Same thing for kids as they are normally less experienced with these things.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

This has gotten to way off topic, time to let this thread die. Religon and our beliefs do not need to be debated here. We are all here for a single purpose, to cache and it doesn't matter what race/color/religon you are we all have caching in common. Lets give it a rest and cache on. Let the thread die here.

I see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah

While I was typing my last post, you apparently posted this.

I agree. We have beat this horse to death and we have general agreement it seems on the subject. To summarize:

Protection of kids is primarily the parents responsibility but they can use all the help they can get.

Knives in caches is very little danger in the overall scheme of things, but they are banned by the rules and it is a good rule to follow.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave