Adding "old" serial ports to a new PC.

MotorBug

Its about time for a new whiz bang desktop PC. I have two GPSrs and a Palm that use a serial port. I know I can get an adapter that connects them to USB, but I would rather have a serial port for each device if they can be added on. The reason is that the adapters are expensive and not always reliable-- in my limited experience. Plus it is just more stuff hanging on the back of the PC.

Are add-on serial ports available? How many ports can be added? Does this make sense?

Thanks.

Except for new compact and sub-compact laptops, I believe most new PCs in the market still give you at least 1 serial port and 1 parallel port for backward compatibility. Most new PCs would probably give you 2 to 4 or even 6 USB ports now but I would be surprised if they don't provide at least 1 serial (COM) port.

And yes, I believe you can buy serial port cards (which would probably be the ISA type and not the PCI type) that you can add to most PCs if the proper expansion slot is available. The card would probably give you one or two serial ports.

I was talking with my local computer guy the other day, okay bad line to start with, but anyways, he is seeing a rash of "non-standard" computers coming in with bad motherboards and other hardware related problems. These non-standards are the Compaq/HP, Dell and Gateway computers. If you have a computer guy that builds computers, talk to him. He has made some interesting computers for customers. He does not charge extra for it, since it is all built from the ground up, but the product works and it is designed around your specifications.

SOAPBOX, if you can buy from a local guy and spend the same or 1 or 2% more, I say buy locally. You will get what you are after and they will more than likely work with you on any problems that you may have.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unknown

quote:

And yes, I believe you can buy serial port cards (which would probably be the ISA type and not the PCI type) that you can add to most PCs if the proper expansion slot is available. The card would probably give you one or two serial ports.

You can buy PCI cards with several serial ports. I use one with 4 serial ports that runs several 5 instruments. (Two standard ports and 4 on the add in board). It's almost impossible to buy an new mother board (read computer) that will accept an ISA card. About a year ago I had a mother board go up in smoke, litterly. I had two very expensive ISA cards in it that I didn't want to replace. I managed to find an older computer around the place that would I could use the ISA cards. Sorry, I digressed. A 2 port RS-232 PCI board is not expensive.

I would expect to pay less than $50.00 for 2 ports. I just looked at one at AXXON for $39.95.

Yes there are some propritary computers out there. However, we've lots of Dells around and I've been able to update, add specilized boards, etc. without any problems. It was the "build up" by somebody ones that have given me the most problems, including the one that went up in smoke.

Just $.025 worth.

Byron

STATS -- NOYB

If your custom building your system especially, it should come with a built in serial port, or at the very least a I/O port that connects a cable from your motherboard to a harness that screws into one of your empty PCI/ISA card slots.

If for some very very strange reason it doesn't come with a serial port (and I've never seen a case like this on any system) then just get the DB9(Serial) to USB adapter.

Just to echo Byron, adding a PCI serial card to your desktop sounds like the way you're wanting to go.

I'd suggest heading into Fry's (I see you live pretty close to one). They will have probably 4 or 5 different models you can choose from.

If you ever need more than one or two, I can recommend a card I use all the time for motion control (robots). It only has 64 serial ports though... is that enough? icon_smile.gif

CacheCreatures are spreading... They can hide, but they can't run!

quote:

Originally posted by MotorBug:

Its about time for a new whiz bang desktop PC. I have two GPSrs and a Palm that use a serial port. I know I can get an adapter that connects them to USB, but I would rather have a serial port for each device

Are add-on serial ports available? How many ports can be added? Does this make sense?

I am with you, I have had poor luck with USB adapters. The add in PCI card I would recommend is a Siig. They make up to a 4 port Serial Add on card. Their stuff is higher but given what you want to do, I would not cut corners. Some of the cheaper cards are a pain to setup and some will not work at all.

The recommendation about using a local builder is good advise. They are the ones that can do this and make it work.

quote:
Originally posted by CacheCreatures:

If you ever need more than one or two, I can recommend a card I use all the time for motion control (robots). It only has 64 serial ports though... is that enough?

What I REALLY need is a robot that will cache for me? icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone for your responses. I remember now seeing these serial boards, but had forgotten. And I think I will check into a local builder.