How small is too small for a log book?

It seems this keeps coming up and I've got to know, how small is too small for a log book?

The smallest log books you can buy are about 2" x 3" give or take. The smallest common log books are 5x3. Neither fits in a film canister.

True I can fold up a piece of paper and stuff it in the cache and call it a log but it's not a log it's a piece of paper. Plus if you have a trade theme that paper takes up all the room.

One of my caches is a magnetic key holder. You trade dollars and log the serial number online. Simple and no room for anything but the dollar.

So really somehwere beteen a 5 gallon bucket and microsopic it's just not practical for a log book. What's your take on that point?

Wherever you go there you are.

I fit a workable log book into one of these.

Of course there is no room for trade items, so it will be a log only cache.

I also fit a log book in a small medical vial (here)

and had plenty of room for trade items.

I just cut some sheets of paper to fit, stapled them together and rolled the whole thing up.

Nobody's complained.

For slightly larger containers...decon boxes, etc... I take a 2 x 3 spiral bound book (with the wires on the side, not the top) and cut it in half, or thirds.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

I've done 2 micros in the last month that had Listerine Pocket Packs as containers and the logbooks were the size of the breath strips. In one of them the pages were all perfectly cut and stapled together . . . someone really wanted it to look good.

I've got one micro that is a magnetic key case too and I've taken one of those mini composition notebooks and basically cut the corner off it for the logbook. It's probably no longer than an inch and a half.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

If I need a magnafying glass to sign the logbook, it is small. If YOU supply the magnafying glass, it is too small. If 0.6mm pencil lead is too fat to write on the paper, it is too small. If a peice of fly poop on the paper is mistaken for a period, it is too small.

icon_biggrin.gif

Truth is, there doesn't need to be a log book if you want to make it a virtual. It doesn't get much smaller than that!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
True I can fold up a piece of paper and stuff it in the cache and call it a log but it's not a log it's a piece of paper. Plus if you have a trade theme that paper takes up all the room.

Why isn't it a log? Sure it is. It's just not a log BOOK. If you can write your name and date on it, it is big enough. I have a log and room for coin trading in a magnetic hide-a-key.

- Seth!

People who make preparations to kill others are never truly free.

They are not gun-toting murderer wannabes... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WARRIOR WANNBES! (Who, when their office buildings are blown up by jets or nuclear warheads, will rise from the ashes, guns blazing.)

icon_geocachingwa.gif

The smallest logbooks you can buy may be too large to fit in some of the containers listed here, but that's when you have to get creative and make ones that do.

For magnetic keyholders, I print out a series of logbook pages sized to the container on waterproof inkjet paper, then cut them out and staple them together. That ends up looking like this. There are 25 sheets of paper in that logbook.

For the tiny Bison microscapsules, I print a series of logs on waterproof paper, then cut the paper into strips. At one end, I glue a round toothpick and wrap the paper around it to form a scroll. You can see what that looks like here.

Granted, there's no room for trade items in these micros, but they are not meant for trades. I'd argue that most micros aren't.

Can a container be too small for a logbook? Probably, but generally only if the container is some sort of novelty. The World's Smallest Cache is one such "container." (The cachers who hid that, however, did not use that novelty as the final cache. They instead used it as a means of delivering partial coordinates to the final cache.)

icon_geocachingwa.gif

In some, they are just a strip of paper with the stash note printed on one side and numbered lines on the other (we use these for film canisters, for example). She has actually made a log book (with pages) that fits in one of the lysterine strips containers (for those of you have have found Old Blue Eyes, you have seen one of these). Amazingly, people were able to write comments on the little 1/2" by 3/4" pages, which surprised us. She makes them out of Rite in Rain, Adventure Paper, or similar products so that they will hold up. It's a lot of work, but she enjoys making them.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

For the tiny Bison microscapsules, I print a series of logs on waterproof paper, then cut the paper into strips. At one end, I glue a round toothpick and wrap the paper around it to form a scroll. You can see what that looks like here.

I like the toothpick idea. Do you attach the logsheet to the toothpick with tape? I have been trying to figure out how I could put a log into a small tube and this sounds like a great way. Without the toothpick, it would be hard to extract the logsheet. I might try something like a nail in the cache I'm thinking about (so there is a head to grab onto), since I can't glue the toothpick to the lid. I'd just have to use a nail that won't easily rust.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

I like the toothpick idea. Do you attach the logsheet to the toothpick with tape?

I use plain old Elmer's white glue. I first squeeze out a small line of glue along the length of the toothpick and then stick that to the bottom of the log strip. After that has set, I smear a thin coating of glue over the rest of the exposed toothpick and a short section of the paper, then begin to roll up the log. It helps if you have already pre-rolled paper so that it wants to curl that way after the glue has been applied. When you are done, you have one or two rolls of paper glued tight around the toothpick. Then you just clip off the toothpick ends.

The toothpick really helps when trying to roll the log up tight for putting it back into the lid of the Bison capsule.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

In some, they are just a strip of paper with the stash note printed on one side and numbered lines on the other (we use these for film canisters, for example). She has actually made a log book (with pages) that fits in one of the lysterine strips containers (for those of you have have found

Hey Marky, could you post some pictures to show the others on the forum. I've seen all these log books and they're really nice. A picture with a coin for scale.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.