Hiding a Cache in a Tree

Pantalaimon

Is there a discussion on Geocaching.com, or within the forums about rules regarding the hiding of a cache in a tree? My search function does not seem to be operating within acceptable parameters.

I'll take unsolicited advice too.

(Wow, I see I just accidentally typed my very own oxymoron.)

Thanks.

Pan

Cachito ergo sum. I Geocache, therefore I am.

I'll stick with my original answer. If the cache is accessible without damaging the tree and it has been given the proper rating, its all good, in my opinion. I'd probably also include a warning in the description, but some would disagree.

Danger is in the eyes of the finder. If you choose to go after a cache with a high rating, you know that you may have to make a decision to go away without a find. The warning in the description and a solid rating should give the hider some amount of legal protection.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

This cache is hidden inside the trunk of a fallen tree about 20 feet off the ground. Access is gained by walking up the upper part of the tree like a bridge and pulling a rope to which the cache is attached. Real cool cache, and easy as tree trunk has a good diameter for walking up.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=12366

Binrat

"Blood is thicker than water.......Unless the water is frozen!"

Like was stated before, as long as it is identified in the rating.

I found a cache (not in a tree) that was on the side of a cliff over the ocean. My initial problem was I was about 15 feet below it and didn't know, as there was nothing that gave elevation and I couldn't see the whole area. A tad difficult moving in that type area, too. Of course, I had to find a different route to be able to scan the general area for the cache.

Erawan

quote:
Originally posted by Thack Pack:

I'm thinking this would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.

5 ft off the trial.... sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

go for 40 ft up the tree to make it interesting. I've been looking for just the right tree myself.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I have seen your run of the mill tree caches, but what about a cache hidden just a "little" further off the ground perhaps 100 ft or more, might prove a challenge to some. What do you think a 5, on the terrain? Check this out.

I wonder how many takers we might get on something like this...

http://www.treeclimbingworld.com/Climb2.htm

[This message was edited by GT-5 on February 14, 2003 at 10:27 AM.]