A 600 mile multicache?

I'm considering the placement of a multi-cache from Georgia to Maryland. I hope to hide actual caches in each state in between. (GA, SC, NC, VA, WVA, & MD). The final cache will have some really nice goodies in it!

I want to prevent "team caching." That is, I want folks to have to go to each cache in the chain. At each cache there will be an email address they use to send me an email confirming they found that stage of the multi. Finders would only get the coords for the next stage if they have been confirmed as finding the previous stage(s). This would have an aspect of a virtual in that they only can log the cache if they send me an email. (Each cache would have a different email addy, and each cache would be a "find" unto itself.)

As a relative newbie, I'd like to hear some thoughts on this one.

Why not just leave the coords from cache to cache and only have the final find as the cache to log. Yes, teams may find a way to make it easier but how many teams are scattered across those 6 states??? I think the distance and variety of locations would discourage anyone, except those who are truly interested in the cache theme, from doing this type of cache.

If you plan on considering each part a "find" then I don't believe that qualifies as a multi-cache. Additionally the ability to log parts of a multi-stage cache, may create a lack of incentative for cachers to complete all the stages. I once had to abandon a multi-cache and it was killin me until I got it done.

If someone finds a way to log the cache without gaining the experience you tried to provide for them than it is their loss. Not yours. Don't sweat it.

I have a hunch this is going to be something like a Civil War battlefield multi-cache. If so, then I think its a great idea!

Smoochnme

ps. Consider a substantial reward for anyone who may complete this cache. It sounds like it could be a HUGE effort.

goldfish.gif

"Only when the last tree is cut,

and the last stream is polluted,

and the last fish is caught,

will we realize that you can't eat the money"

[This message was edited by smoochnme on May 06, 2002 at 09:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by smoochnme on May 06, 2002 at 09:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by smoochnme on May 06, 2002 at 09:21 PM.]

Do you plan to place all your caches during one trip, or will you take a separate trip to place each cache? I'm guessing you probably won't make a separate trip to place each cache, but your method of verification will force many (most?) people to do exactly that. Some folks will have internet access while enroute, but those who don't will be forced to return home after each leg in order to get the coordinates for the next. And will your email addresses be set up for auto-response, or will you be doing it manually? Six caches in six hundred miles averages out to a few hours of driving between each leg, so searchers with internet access enroute could complete several (or all) legs in a single day IF they got immediate responses to their emails. But if they had to wait an indeterminate span of time for you to respond...

Worldtraveler

"Time's fun when you're having flies." - Kermit the frog

I think that team work is the best option. Also you could set up web pages that will give you the instructions for the next leg. Like in the 1st cache you could have simply:

www.geocities/geo3htesrt/index.html

where they could go to and find what is needed for the next which would have diffrent web address like

www.members.aol/hometown/geocacher4325/errhith984.index.html

I pulled the sites out of my @$$ (i donbt they work) but you get the idea - make it so it can't be guessed.

-------> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave to a troll

You say you want to prevent "team caching," but that is precisely what you would be promoting.

Someone finds a leg, e-mails you the verification information, and you send them the next set of instructions/coordinates via e-mail. What will prevent the recipient from forwarding that e-mail to anyone else along the way? The next person could send the next bit of information back to the original party, who would re-contact you. This could be repeated for as many stages as necessary.

And in the end, the original party could share all the information with all participating parties, enabling all to claim finds with just the pretense of sending you a few e-mails to throw you off.

All good points! Exactly why I posted the idea here.

Maintenance won't be a problem as I make this particular trek several times a year. The final cache will have some nice goodies in it.

There's really no way to guarantee against what some would call cheating and others would call efficient use of resources.

I'll keep listening - an idea is starting to form in the cobweb I call a brain.

quote:
Originally posted by Da Rebel:

Maintenance won't be a problem as I make this particular trek several times a year.

Unless "several times a year" translates as "once a month or more" I'm not so sure this is a hot idea.

If a problem pops up, are you going to make a special trip?

If someone doesn't find your cache, they'll want verification that it's missing. This is doubly true on a multi-cache.

I say you allow for teams and that You find people to help with the maintanance prior to placing them. Also, seriously consider hiding the coordinates to the next cache in the physical cache since as other have pointed out, net access isn't universally mobile. (Shoot, I can't log in while mobile since I'm too cheap to buy the cable to connect my cell to my notebook or Palm)

Someone will find it, for sure. I bet most people will work as a team, though. As with previous posters, I don't have internet access on the road, usually, so that would slow me down considerably. I make the trip from NC up to PA a few times a year, so parts of the cache would be agreeable to the boss, I mean the wife icon_biggrin.gif

I would try to find parts of it anyway, just to help pass the time on the way to visit the Inlaws!

I can see the maintenance aspect being a problem, unless you worked out a deal with local cachers. I have one cache about 150 miles from home, but it is about 150 feet from my parents house! Dad loves to read the logs and call me if something interesting happens.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Someone will find it, for sure. I bet most people will work as a team, though. As with previous posters, I don't have internet access on the road, usually, so that would slow me down considerably. I make the trip from NC up to PA a few times a year, so parts of the cache would be agreeable to the boss, I mean the wife icon_biggrin.gif

I would try to find parts of it anyway, just to help pass the time on the way to visit the Inlaws!

I can see the maintenance aspect being a problem, unless you worked out a deal with local cachers. I have one cache about 150 miles from home, but it is about 150 feet from my parents house! Dad loves to read the logs and call me if something interesting happens.

Keep us posted on the progress.

I've decided that I really don't care if folks team up to find the final cache. I also don't care if they ride a bicycle or drive a Lincoln Navigator to make the trek. There's not much I really could do to make any differences there.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing. The last cache to find will be the first one placed. It'll have a significantly large Federal Reserve Note as well as the usual cache goodies.

In the next to last, which I will place second, will be the coords of the final cache - written on the last page of the log book and without any explanation as to what the coords are for.

And on through the rest until I place the first (or last for me, that is) cache - somewhere in Georgia. Only this cache will be logged on the geocaching website. I'll also post the info here one week before posting it on the website.

The first cacher (or team) to make the trek gets the "grand prize." When the "grand prize" has been grabbed, I'll add a note to the cache page, and in the paper logs of the other caches, to that effect. I'll also then post the other caches to the website so that others can then enjoy the hunt for them.

How's that grab y'all?

[This message was edited by Da Rebel on May 09, 2002 at 03:11 PM.]