Waterproof Paper

Jamie Z

In looking for a good way to make a waterproof logsheet for a microcache, I did some forum searches and came up with these pertinent threads:

waterproofing printouts

Printing Waterproof Cache Pages

The threads offer some good ideas, but because of their age, I think technology has advanced in the paper industry. I read this off-topic post in a regional forum.

National Geographic paper sounds like the stuff I need (although it looks to be rather expensive). I went to a local office supply store, but they don't carry stuff like that.

Where's a good place to buy this waterproof paper? Any other waterproofing ideas? We haven't discussed this topic in quite some time.

Jamie

I've seen the NG paper at our REI store here. Wasn't cheap, but I don't remember it being overly expensive either. You'd probably need to buy a pack of sheets, of which you'd probably only use one to make the log book, so for one micro, yes, that might be too expensive. But check REI if you have one near you.

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

Hmm, maybe I'm dating myself..

What about the paper frequently used by butchers, deli's etc to wrap meats in? I don't know what the "trade" name of it would be, but the thought of a paper that can be in full contact with a raw/frozen surface and still hold, that's what comes to mind.

Roger

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side

Try putting regular paper in a Scout waterproof match container. Get them at any local Scout supply store and some army surplus.

Life is like being on a dog sled team. If you are not the lead dog the view is always the same.

Complacancy is feeding a tiger steaks while waiting for him to become a vegitarian.

FYI It's free shipping on your -next- order.

https://riteintherain.safeserver.com/samplerequest.html

quote:

All for just $10 dollars (U.S. recipients only). Plus, if that wasn't enough, we will throw in FREE shipping on your next "Rite in the Rain" order! (U.S. recipients only) So, you really have nothing to lose. (Free shipping offer for new customers only - sent UPS ground where available)

For anyone interested, I'm considering purchasing a ream (500 sheets) of the 8 1/2 by 11" paper. I'd be willing to resell the sheets in small quantity to anyone interested.

It would come out to something like $0.10 - $0.15 a sheet at cost, plus shipping, etc. Certantly better than the $0.80 a sheet of the NG paper!!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A (dekaner@kkf2a.com)

quote:
Originally posted by Faderaven:

Don't you mean waterproof ink?

Well, according to Fizzymagic, that's not a problem with NG's new paper:

"The National Geographic waterproof paper is amazing! You print on it with an inkjet printer, and you can leave it submerged and it won't smear or fade. I am very, very impressed with the stuff."

At almost $1.00 a sheet though... man.

Jamie

FYI, I'm still waiting on the printer to "find" the box of my first run of Microcache Logbooks. They moved the day after printing the first hundred and they haven't been seen since.

I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to give up and have another batch printed.

They're 35 sheets (70 logs) of 24# Rite in the Rain paper bound with a durable, printed cover. It fits perfectly in an Altoids tin. Cost: around $1.50 or so. (Less if I can guilt him into giving me a deal since he lost the first batch!)

If you're writing on it, RiteintheRain...

If you're printing on it, NG Adventure Paper.

Personally I use the 11x17 NG Adventure Paper to print out topo maps and love it. It is most definately waterproof (First time you submerge it the excess ink will come off the paper cleanly, but the excess only, the map is still there) and pretty darn tearproof. While it is a bit expensive, I recommend it highly.

Doug

If you go to the Rite as Rain website they list a dealer location. It lists dealers in all 50 states. I found one here in Ellensburg. They had the full line. I bought 8 sheets for $1.35 on sale and will make 32 pages of micro cache logs from them. I did not pay shipping or handeling. They also had a ream of 8X11 sheets for $21.95 which works out to approx .04 per sheet. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I would suggest that you hit thier website and look for a dealer near you.

Note, you have to print the logs out using a Laserjet printer or a photo copier. Waterbased ink used in injet printers will not work.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Where's a good place to buy this waterproof paper? Any other waterproofing ideas? We haven't discussed this topic in quite some time.

Jamie

I use the waterproof notebooks sold for military use. They come in several sizes from very small pocket, to full military breast-pocket size, to small notebook size. Best of all, they are all under $4. I get them at the Fort Bliss Clothing and Supply sales store. I expect they are available at any military post, and most camping/surplus stores although maybe cost more. I will get the name of the manufacturer if anyone wants it.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!