First 5/5 SCUBA MultiCache now online...

quote:
Originally posted by Vertigo:

If it took you that long to find a place to put the plaque, how long will it take someone to find it without having any idea where to look?

If you look at my cache page, I leave explicit instructions on where the plaque is located. I dont want divers 'digging up the wreck' unnecessarily. Deciphering the Cheat underwater is NOT reccommended icon_biggrin.gif

As for the time it took to find a spot, I was concentrating on looking for a spot that can be easily found with minor problems. This may mean a few sweeps over a few places on the wreck.

That's awesome! I'm going to do it withing the next month or two.

I'm working on one as we speak (write) that is similar, but will be located in an area where no SCUBA diving is allowed and no boats are allowed, either. So the individual will have to swim out two hundred yards and hold thier breath as they dive down 30 feet. I did this so people without SCUBA gear or certifications can get the cache.

What will you find when diving 30'? I had the same problem as you, so instead of making a plaque with coords, I'm laminationg the whole geocache thing between two peices of lexan and then placing a number on the back. There will be a formula to follow that you will have to plug in the number to get the correct lat/lon.

It will be secured to the ocean floor with a 100 pound peice of iron. To solve the problem of getting covered with samd, the Lexan will be wrapped in fiberglass and closed/cell styrofoam and attached to the peice of iron with a one-foot chain.

I SHOULD have it all set up and logged into Geocaching by Monday. For a second stage, I think I will have two trees - one with low branches and one without - the cacher will have to shimmy across a rope leading between the two trees. I just have to find two trees in this configuration. I might enlist the help of the Geofreakz for this... if they are up for it icon_biggrin.gif

Art,

I remember when we discussed how to do this in the forums, when you were looking for ideas about the plaque. I am totally impressed. This is without a doubt the best work done by any of our local guys. I only wish you hid it near us....it would be worth the SCUBA lessons to get it!

Congrats again...awesome work! I will be keeping an eye on this one to see who finds it.

macro

This is an A-1 effort on your part. From the thought put behind the "hide", to the graphics on the cache detail page, a very impressive piece of work indeed. My hat goes off to you!

I only wish I could be in Bimini soon, but all of my diving recently is in Hawaii. I need to be in St. Petersburg FL in June for work...maybe I need to work in a trip to Bimini then icon_cool.gif

----------------------

The shore is an ancient world, for as long as there has been an earth and sea, there has been this place of the meeting of land and water. -Rachel Carson

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

...I am considering creating another scuba multicache for one of the many http://www.njscuba.com/njscuba/njs_shipwrecks.html in the New York/New Jersey area. Stay tuned .... icon_cool.gif

Great cache and cache page. I haven't dived in ten years but your map link reminded me of the dives I did on two on them shown - The Iberia and the Lizzie D (also known as the Rumrunner, a you can guess what kind of ship it was when it went down during Prohibition - divers were pulling rotten rum fulled but whole bottles off the wreck. I didn't get any but had the pleasure of being traped in the wreck for a few minutes after kicking up the muck and not being able to find my way out).

Bimini was great also. I can't recall the name of the divemaster down there back then but for publicity for his dive company he scuba dived from Bimini to Miami Beach about 90 miles. Bimini's great place. Besides one of Hemingway's hangout (it's know for deep sea fishing, marlin and all that), it's two main busines are T'shirts and drugs. What a place. I did my deepest dive down there to 135feet off the continental shelf Abyss. The water was cobalt blue. On the way up my equalizer vest overfiled, popped my wieght and I went up the last ten feet inverted!

Think I'll try your cache. Anyone want to buddy with me? icon_wink.gif

Alan

Nice job there A.D If I ever have the chance to go diving in the bimini's this would definetely be a great adventure. hummm I might also borrow your idea and place one like that too some day. We have lot's of wrecks in the area. This would be interesting.

742_900.jpg

AD: Check this page out for photos and descriptions of these and other local sites.

http://dis.cs.umass.edu/~mailler/diving/index.html

Roger T. Mailler | mailler@cs.umass.edu

You might want to check with Roger (I believe he's written a book about the local sites) for ideas of where to place your cache. Or maybe one of the local dive boat captains - they might like the idea as it could be used for publicity for their operation, maybe run contests, plus you'll have an outfit that regularly visits the site and can maintain it for you.

Good luck

Alan