While the cache owner is watching

Have you ever tried to find a cache while the cache owner is watching you? I ride bikes with a fellow cacher and we were on a trail where he had placed a cache that I knew of. He stood and watched while I hunted for the cache and it drove me crazy. I asked him to go around the bend but he would not. It's just too much pressure to search while the cache owner is watching. Am I alone here?

Only in this situation once, and the reverse to boot...was doing cache maintenance on one of my caches and had my girlfriend along for the hike. She wanted to try and find it, so I gave her my gps and told her to go ahead and find it for me. I had to sit there and try not to give it away.

On Thanksgiving my daughters and I went to find a friend's cache, only to run into her doing cache maintenance. Fortunately, she spotted us before we got there so she wouldn't completely give it away. She did stay there watching us (prolly partly my fault,) and it was distracting in a way. It was interesting having the hider there. The problem is that with her watching, I didn't want to stray from where the GPS insisted the cache was. I had an idea of where to look, but since it wasn't where the GPS said, I felt a little embarassed to look that far away... Of course that's where it turned out to be. icon_smile.gif I've also gone with family looking for caches that I've found and I'm sure I caused them the same kind of problems...

On Thanksgiving my daughters and I went to find a friend's cache, only to run into her doing cache maintenance. Fortunately, she spotted us before we got there so she wouldn't completely give it away. She did stay there watching us (prolly partly my fault,) and it was distracting in a way. It was interesting having the hider there. The problem is that with her watching, I didn't want to stray from where the GPS insisted the cache was. I had an idea of where to look, but since it wasn't where the GPS said, I felt a little embarassed to look that far away... Of course that's where it turned out to be. icon_smile.gif I've also gone with family looking for caches that I've found and I'm sure I caused them the same kind of problems...

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Running into a cache owner doing maintenance is one thing . . . it's those cache owners who sit on a lawn chair, at a distance but in full view, beverage in hand and laughing maniacally that may be somewhat . . . distracting.

Mmmmm, I think I'll hide one within range of sight from my back porch, now when summer is coming up. Perhaps better than television!

24148_200.jpg

Anders

I never would of found the multi-cache I was looking for if it hadn't been for two others with me plus the placer looking over our shoulder.

On the flip side, I let the finder finish before checking on one of my caches. Another time I came back the next day to add a pencil. I handed the pencil to the searcher and asked him to add it when he found the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Running into a cache owner doing maintenance is one thing . . . it's those cache owners who sit on a lawn chair, at a distance but in full view, beverage in hand and laughing maniacally that may be somewhat . . . distracting.

Mmmmm, I think I'll hide one within range of sight from my back porch, now when summer is coming up. Perhaps better than television!

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/avatar/24148_200.jpg

Anders

There is a local cache on the back edge of the cacher's property. I chatted with the owner for a bit and then asked him to leave and he did so politely. Still didn't find it.

george

I introduced a bud to caching, and now we sometimes go searching together. Now and then he goes after one I've already done, so I just stand around and watch (and try not to kibbitz)... it's really scary deja vu to watch someone go thru the exact (stupid/wrong) motions you did the first time.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

I did wind up cache hunting with Triffid the other week ... actually tried to out-geohog him ... and blew it ... but he followed along with me on the two caches he had just done ... it was fun ... but with my luck I kept thanking I'd screw up royally ... nope ... went fine ... BUT later that day while on a first find hunt together ... I input the wrong diget in the GPS on a multi leg ... I was only off 500 feet ... thankfully he located the cache before I convinced him to go down through the briars icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

I did wind up cache hunting with Triffid the other week ... actually tried to out-geohog him ... and blew it ... but he followed along with me on the two caches he had just done ... it was fun ... but with my luck I kept thanking I'd screw up royally ... nope ... went fine ... BUT later that day while on a first find hunt together ... I input the wrong diget in the GPS on a multi leg ... I was only off 500 feet ... thankfully he located the cache before I convinced him to go down through the briars icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

I went on an urban hunt a few months back that ended up being a spy cache. The owner had set it up across the street from his house just so he could watch people look for it. Of course, none of this is mentioned in the cache description. He happened to mention it in an email he sent to me on an unrelated subject. I was very pissed off about it then and it still angers me now. I do not like being spyed upon by voyeurs. And the cache sucked too. It would be quite different if someone I knew was watching me and I knew about it. That would be OK.

----- icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

|

V

rdw

I went on an urban hunt a few months back that ended up being a spy cache. The owner had set it up across the street from his house just so he could watch people look for it. Of course, none of this is mentioned in the cache description. He happened to mention it in an email he sent to me on an unrelated subject. I was very pissed off about it then and it still angers me now. I do not like being spyed upon by voyeurs. And the cache sucked too. It would be quite different if someone I knew was watching me and I knew about it. That would be OK.

----- icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

|

V

rdw