Is this possible??

ktg1986

This is a little off the subject of geocaching -but maybe someone here can help.

I have a Garmin etrex Vista handheld GPS that I want to take with me on trips to Istanbul, Turkey and Bombay and Calcutta, India. I want to use it to help locate points of interest within those cities.

The problem is, unlike for North America and Western Europe, Garmin does not offer detailed (street-level) background map software for these cities. However, I don't really need that. I just need the coordinates of points of interest that I am looking for. But, that is proving very difficult.

Mapquest, terraserver, YahooMaps, etc do not offer detailed maps of these cities. Zoom in too close and is says "data not yet available". So, I can't for example, zoom down to my hotel's intersection and then look at the LAT/LONG.

I have a folded paper street map of Istanbul. There are what appear to be some LAT/LONG lines crisscrossing the map, but NONE are labeled. I have paper maps of some other world cities...same thing. Nothing on the map even hints what these lines mean or what kind of projection system the map is based on.

Any suggestions on how to get the coordinates of such things as major museums, train stations, monuments, hotel location/street intersection? Is there a website which may help? If that's not possible, all I really need is a paper map with the lines labeled and I could extrapolate off of that.

Might require a little leg work on your part, but call the State Department. They may have a list of POI and their cordinates. They may be able to also help in determining if it is safe to travel there or not.

Not much help, but a friend of SWMBO works for them.

See the happy moron

He doesn't give a da**

I wish I were a moron

My God, perhaps I am

Author Unkown

quote:
Originally posted by Trogdor!:

Do a google search for topograpic maps of india and turkey. Those maps will have the grids you are looking for.

Good idea. On this site I found this offer:

Turkey--1:100,000 Topographic Quadrangle Map Set. 1:100,000. Soviet government. High quality topographic maps for a country where little else is available. This set offers complete coverage of Turkey. In Russian. 65-45505 Set of 564 sheets, rolled $7,128.00.

You will of course have to learn Russian with the money you have left over! icon_smile.gif

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

Good idea. On http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/turkey.htm#p2 site I found this offer:

Turkey--1:100,000 Topographic Quadrangle Map Set. 1:100,000. Soviet government.

All military installations are missing, and all missle silos are located at least 100 miles from where they are purported to be on the maps. icon_wink.gif

5307_1000.gif

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

A few things you could try:

Send an email to user nazbeg; he is an active cacher from that area and may have some waypoint info.Try to find the area described on this cache page on your map. That will give you coords for a starting point.Try doing some Google searches with your hotel name, "Istanbul", and "coordinates" or "latitude" and "longitude".

Don't bother buying Garmin's Worldmap CD. It doesn't have much detail for that area.

worldtraveler

Every gal in Constantinople lives in Istanbul not Constantinople, so if you've a date in Constantinople she'll be waiting in Istanbul.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------