Whats the quickest find on a new cache?

Centaur

I don't know what the record is, but last weekend I was on the website and a new cache appeared while I was poking around. One minute it wasn't there, the next minute it was. Turns out it was about a mile from my house, so I had the cache in hand probably about 45 minutes after it appeared on this website.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Today a couple of us found a cache that hasn't been listed yet ... it's almost like the old days!

Apparently, a newly listed cache by Big Bill6 was placed very close to a cache Gwho had hidden a while back, but never submitted a page for. Gwho went to the site, moved his cache and left the coordinates for his as-yet unlisted cache in the logbook of Big Bill's cache ... unexpected bonus caches are always fun!

UPDATE: The cache was approved and listed at approximately 6 p.m. today, so I found the cache only 8 hours before it "existed."

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on September 29, 2002 at 02:58 PM.]

Jill and I found our first, FTF a week ago. Just happened I was surfing GC when a new one came up and it was at one of our favorite spots. So we had it in an hour or so.... funnyiest thing is the second to find actually beat us to the posting... so we were first to find and second to post.

In my area FTF is logged within minutes in many cases, certainly within a couple of hours.

A few months ago I awoke and saw that a new cache had been listed overnight way out in the boonies 30 miles from town, figured I had a jump on the FTFers since I am retired and they mostly have jobs.

Hauled fanny to get there before lunch time, when I knew it'd be found. Found it at 12:02, just past noon, and 3Card had signed it at 12:00... that meant he had just been there, couldn't have come back down the trail or I would have seen him, so he had to be in the woods watching me! Looked around, no 3Card. Looked at the log again - he had gotten FTF at 12:00 midnight!

A few weeks ago three came out about 10 p.m. by the same hider, all within 2 miles of my house. Woohoo! Grabbed the flashlight and out the door within 10 minutes of the email notification - got there within 30 minutes of publication and all had been found - one of them 3 times!

One of the issues is the email timing - it may be 30 minutes to hours difference between when different cachers receive the notification.

The other is, of course, that you gotta be ready to pounce!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Holy crap this thread is ancient! :D

Funny, I didn't even notice!

Yup, old, and repetitive - probably gets asked every 3 months or so, but still current and interesting to newcomers.

I'd rather see an old thread revived than 20 new ones posted.

Same here,but then everyone gets their panties in a twist about resurecting old dead threads. B)

Holy crap this thread is ancient! :D

Yup, old, and repetitive - probably gets asked every 3 months or so, but still current and interesting to newcomers.

Same here,but then everyone gets their panties in a twist about resurecting old dead threads. :D

No not everyone just certain ones B)B)B):D:D

Holy crap this thread is ancient! B)

Same here,but then everyone gets their panties in a twist about resurecting old dead threads. :D

No not everyone just certain ones B)B)B):D:D

This is an interesting topic for anyone that hasn't seen it before. I respectfully disagree with those who find it necessary to shut down discussion without offering redirection to the initial pertinent discussion. I'm not speaking of this thread in specific. Just some of the old guard tends to find it more important to point out their silver fur than provide help or information. But back to the topic at hand...

I was fortunate enough to FTF a cache in my area while looking for a hiding spot for a cache of my own. I considered this to be just desserts for another puzzle cache I was second to find on despite being there about 25 mins after it was posted....with the puzzle solved. The FTFer had been looking for a spot of his own as well.

There has been a couple of times I have run into a cacher who is looking for a stage of a multi, and I am looking for a spot to place a traditional of my own! Saved me an e-mail to the reviewer, I guess. :D

On a weekday in the big city (Winnipeg, MB) caches are almost always found within the hour. I enjoy the race - a little competition is fun and you generally end up meeting someone at the cache. My “personal best” is 12 minutes:

TurdleEggs found Buffalo Blitz

Sometimes it’s a party. A dozen cachers showed up at the same time for this one within 1-1/2 hours of it being published. They ended up going for coffee nearby.

Baldry Creek (Scrabble-E)

I've signed a log within 18 minutes of the cache notification mail - and the cache is on the other side of town. I have signed another one 20 minutes after the notification and it was not only on the other side of town it was out of town a bit. I can't recall any quicker than that right off the bat but I may have done some. I get off on being FTF. It doesn't mean a darn thing but I enjoy finding the empty log.

I have 925 finds and 117 of them are FTF. That's roughly 12.65% of my finds. Of course some of those caches had been sitting for days before I looked for them. In fact, my very first FTF (Grandma's Schoolhouse) was in Montana and I live in California. The cache was placed 10 days before I found it and it sat another 15 days before it was found again. You don't always have to be fast in order to get a FTF.

Edited by Thrak