Best waterproof geocache containers?

Hi there. I've been introducing my family to geocache hunting over the past month, and now we are interested in creating some caches.

Its been a rather soggy month here on the East Coast. Both of our geocache finds this weekend were water-damaged. We suspect a third cache that we sought unsuccessfully got Swept Away.

We want to avoid all that if possible for any cache we create. Obviously the locale is important but, being outdoors, a cache cannot entirely avoid exposure to water.

Based on your experience, what kinds of containers do the job well?

Thanks!

Dreamer of Pictures

The best container by far is an ammo can. I've heard stories about caches in ammo cans that stayed dry after being under water for months at a time.

They are durable, watertight and critters can't get into them. Most army surplus stores have them and you can get one for around $5.00.

smile02.gif We're all here, because we're not 'all there'.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

For full sized caches the best containers are ammo boxes. They are by far cheapest, most durable and watertight container. I've also had pretty good luck with the RubberMaid containers with the blue rim. Real Tupperware is also quite good, but real Tupperware is pretty expensive.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Try Lock 'N Lock containers made by Starfrit. They're lightweight and they are 100% watertight. Hard to beat them. If you want to camo them a bit use a spray paint designed for plastic (eg. Krylon) - looks great and it won't come off.

I love the smell of Lock 'n Locks in the morning...they smell like $$$

We have had luck with Rubbermaid top of the line $7.00 containers with the extra lining around the lid. By far Ammo Boxes are the best but it certain areas they are frowned upon but I still love hunting for them. The best is Tupperware but not the easiest accessible. Don;t skimp on Containers. I have actually replaced two cache containers in the last few months that were Salad containers that you get from the Salad Bar at a grocery store.

Wags, Russ & Erin