How often do you check your cache

I only have one cache and it is in a very safe area and so isn't as likely to go missing. I have checked on it once since I placed it last fall. I plan to check it again in the spring to be sure that it is still hiden ok, is dry, nothing broke from freezing, etc. Of course I would go check it right away if a log indicated a problem.

pokeanim3.gif

I'm afraid those categories are too "black & white". I've only placed a couple, but I immediately visit a cache whose log indicates it needs tending or if conditions affect it (a visit immediately after fresh snowfall to obscure tracks if the log doesn't indicate they did). I visit nearby caches that are placed where I regularly hike between once a week and once a month. A cache a bit farther away that I pass by more than once a month I won't check that frequently unless logs indicate a need.

So, it depends AND it varies. I suppose 'F', all of the above is most applicable.

Randy

I also had to vote "other." My caches vary from low-maintenance (single stage caches with sturdy containers in secure spots) to high-maintenance (four-part multicache with instruction sheets at the first stage and a tricky hiding spot at the final stage; four-part multicache along a popular bicycle trail). I will rush out immediately if there is a problem, like when I rescued one of my caches when finders reported bulldozers were removing the forest it was hidden in. I also checked each of my caches in November/December to make sure they were secure for the winter/how easy or hard they were in the snow, and I will check again in the spring.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

I selected every month. I love checking up on my caches. I usually go out after a few people find it with the first go-round. Wait for a few more finds and check on it again. So if nobody has found one of them in a while I don't bother until they get a hit or two.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

I selected other. I will immediately check on a cache where a problem was reported. Other than that, I will try to stop by whenever I can. If it's a cache that gets frequent visits, I'll do so more often. I'd say, on average, I hit each cache every 6 months or so. But it does vary a lot.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

I've only placed one cache and I've only checked it once. No one has been near it since. It was left uncovered, there wasn't anything good left in it and there was litter in the area of the cache. I cleaned the litter and covered the cache. I wanted to go back with more goodies but we got snow cover and I don't want a trail leading to it. I think I will keep a closer eye on it. Probablly once per month.

rut

Other

We check on our caches if log entries suggest a need to do so, or if a cache has not been visited for more than a month. We will post a note to let people know that everything is OK and have had to archive three caches which went missing.

We feel it is important to let potential seekers know the current status of our caches but also don't want to wear a path to them by checking on them too often.

$1000 Bill

With my two caches it's weather permitting. One is probably snow bound right now until late spring. I've checked it once, and will check it again then. The other I just placed and after the first snow, 3 finders at once couldn't find it, but it is also weather permitting. Right now we are walking on ice around here, the snow melted enough to freeze and it's a crust of ice everywhere. As soon as the cold snap breaks I can check that one again. I know it's there, I think I camo'd it too well.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

I just planted three this month and i am going to check them this morning,and i will try to at least each month unless i see it logged that something needs to be done with it. I am also going to plant some caches this morning but they will be farther away and i will check those when a log suggests a problem!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

No, I am not lost...I am where I am suppose to be...At least I think so? [icon_biggrin.gif]