National Parks & "Non-Traditional Use"

ScottJ

Not long ago, I remember a discussion arising over the National Park Service's non-support (read: prohibition) of Geocaching on National Park lands. Their explanation, in part, was that Geocaching constituted a "Non-Traditional Use" of park land.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I've just read that Lucasfilm has been leased a huge chunk of the historic Presidio National Park, and will be building a new facility and conducting business there.

Seems to me that building a huge new commercial building on National Park land would constitute a "Non-Traditional Use". In fact, it seems to me that it's a complete scam, awarding National Park land to a corporation for its exclusive, business use.

Sorry, but I'm a little outraged at this. I can't put a little metal box in the middle of thousands of acres of National Park land, but Lucas can waltz in and put up a skyscraper and move in? This is wrong.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

http://www.insidevc.com/vcs/state/article/0,1375,VCS_122_1733137,00.html

quote:
SAN FRANCISCO -- Star Wars creator George Lucas broke ground Saturday for a $300 million special effects campus

The groundbreaking marks a new beginning for the Presidio, a former Army base and now a national park with breathtaking views of the city's famous Golden Gate Bridge. The project is designed to allow the park to break-even financially and create a space for the digital arts project of Lucasfilm Ltd.

So for $300 million you can put something in a National park.

From Lucas' point of view http://www.lucasfilm.com/presidio/2002/intro.html

Its sad that the national parks system refuses environmentally consious people the right to cache and such, but they will sell out to allow a commercial company to build on the land, permanantly changing the natural face of the park and land. Geocaching cant get them out of debt, so they sell the land to save the park? I just dont get it.

My time, your time is limited, but time itself is unlimited.

The Presidio is an old Army base. It is NOT pristine wilderness. Here is an exerp (sp?) from the news article...

The 850,000-square-foot project will eventually house 2,500 workers. It will occupy the former site of the Letterman Army Hospital, which was demolished.

Officials with Presidio Trust, which manages most of the 700 buildings on the 490-acre park...

$300 million?

It only cost me $100 as an administrative fee to apply for a Special Use Permit for geocaching in my friendly neighborhood National Park Service administered park.

I have yet to hear if it was money well spent though. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

They were very open to listening to my presentation and encouraged me to apply for the permit as the next step, so there is hope. icon_smile.gif

~erik~

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

For $300 million, they'd let you cut down all the trees and leave a huge pile of ammo boxes. Heck, they'd probably let you plug old faithful with a doot bucket.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

That has to be the funniest comment I've seen in a long time. I Just spit potato chips all over the place laughing. icon_biggrin.gif

Get off the cellphone and DRIVE!