Why are some topics rated?

Eric K

Well I have been meaning to complain about this for some time. This seems like the right place to do so.

A rule I like is "If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all"

Please follow the same rule with rating a thread. (Breaking the rule time) If you want to be a child and rate a thread a one just because you don't like its contents or the person who posted it then:

A. Get a Life and

B. Don't read it

Your petty act of rating it a One just because you don't have the balls to tell someone what you think about them or their thread is weak.

Sorry Eric K for taking and highjacking your thread and giving it a negative vibe but I just had to get that out.

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

A rule I like is "If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all"

Okay - now a real post on the topic. I strongly disagree with you here. What is the point of even having a 1 star rating if everyone is supposed to be a kissass and only praise the 'good' posts? I say if you don't like a post that you read, then let people know. icon_smile.gif The feature is here, so use it.

quote:
If you want to be a child and rate a thread a one just because you don't like its contents or the person who posted it then:

A. Get a Life and

B. Don't read it

Umm - first off, "rating a thread a one just because I don't like it" is exactly what the rating system is for. If I read it, and don't like it - for whatever reason - why should I not feel free to rate it with a single star?

And your solution of "don't read it" is dumb, because how am I supposed to know that I'm not going to like a thread if I haven't even read it yet? Once I've discovered that I don't like a thread, I'm a little past the point of 'not reading it.'

quote:
Your petty act of rating it a One just because you don't have the balls to tell someone what you think about them or their thread is weak.

On the contrary, I think giving someone a single star is telling them EXACTLY what you think of their thread.

A side note: I think the idea of rating caches/threads isn't a good one... but since the feature is here, it should be used freely. If people don't like a thread, rate it low. Also, if you think a thread is particularly good, rate it high.

Complaining about the negative people isn't going to increase the star rating... you positive folks put your vote where your mouth is, and give the "good" threads some good ratings.

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

quote:

Okay - now a real post on the topic. I strongly disagree with you here. What is the point of even having a 1 star rating if everyone is supposed to be a kissass and only praise the 'good' posts? I say if you don't like a post that you read, then let people know. icon_smile.gif The feature is here, so use it.

Yes the feature is here so use it. I guess the point you are missing is that if you want to rate a thread a 1 then go ahead but have the BALLS to explain why you did so and not hide behind your little rating system. (your not meaning yours specificlly but in general) Me, I will not rate a post, if I think it sucks (which I don't think any of them do) I will say so and leave it at that instead of hiding behind a rating system.

quote:
If you want to be a child and rate a thread a one just because you don't like its contents or the person who posted it then:

A. Get a Life and

B. Don't read it

Umm - first off, "rating a thread a one just because I don't like it" is exactly what the rating system is for. If I read it, and don't like it - for whatever reason - why should I not feel free to rate it with a single star?

Fine, go ahead but at least explain why you did so. Just seeing a thread rated a 1 doesn't tell anybody anything other than some jack@$$ was in a P1$$y mood.

And your solution of "don't read it" is dumb, because how am I supposed to know that I'm not going to like a thread if I haven't even read it yet? Once I've discovered that I don't like a thread, I'm a little past the point of 'not reading it.'

Fine but again, if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all, or at least have the balls to post under your nick.

quote:

On the contrary, I think giving someone a single star is telling them EXACTLY what you think of their thread.

WEAK

A side note: I think the idea of rating caches/threads isn't a good one... but since the feature is here, it should be used freely. If people don't like a thread, rate it low. Also, if you think a thread is particularly good, rate it high.

Complaining about the negative people isn't going to increase the star rating... you positive folks put your vote where your mouth is, and give the "good" threads some good ratings.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/geobanana.gif http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe/index.html

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

quote:

WEAK

Hey, if you don't like my post don't read it. icon_razz.gif

Oh, and thanks for that well thought out reply, filled with reason and logic.

quote:
Originall posted by georgeandmary:

They don't to me anyway. I've never not read a thread because it only had 1 star. I mostly don't notice.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I can't think of a time where I've let a star count influence whether I read a post or not. I do find it amusing that people get so upset when their own thread gets a single star rating. *laugh* Hell, I've given some of my OWN threads a single star. icon_biggrin.gif

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

I don't usually pay attention to the ratings.

Decided to give this thread 5 stars for those of you who offer kind, humourous and brilliantly insightful responses.... -

-

-

OK, mostly I just wanted to test out the rating process.

----------

Greenjeens

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm... will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Oh, and thanks for that well thought out reply, filled with reason and logic.

Do I ever post differently? icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_smile.gif

I don't let the rating system influence whether I am going to read a thread or not and for that matter don't see much use for it because it just gives someone something to hide behind.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Rating don't matter

They don't to me anyway. I've never not read a thread because it only had 1 star. I mostly don't notice.

george

I don't pay attention to stars either. Partly because not all threads are even rated. If ones a 3 and the others are unrated, does that mean the 3 is "high" or "low"?? icon_confused.gif

And besides, even if they were all rated, how can I Know what person(s) rated it? Theres no way to check who rated it, if they even bothered to read it or were just screwing with the starsicon_biggrin.gif, or if I agree with those who rated it.

And even if those things were somehow included, am I going to spend the time to read up on who rated it and how they rated it? No, I'll just go look at the actual thread, in the fist couple posts you can tell If the thread will be worth reading top to bottom. So the thread/star rating system is worthless to me. icon_biggrin.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg