Using ATV's on Cache Hunts..

I have been planning on goin on a few cache hunts where I can approach the cache site from a good distance away with my ATV.

Im in the looking stages right now for a few caches that will fit this type of approach.

Does anyone reguarly use an ATV while in persuit of remote caches in hard to get at locations?

I got the handlebar mount for my Vista installed on my Honda TRX300FX, and it works GREAT..

I may be looking to set out a few ATV friendly caches in my area as well.

Any Ideas on caching with ATV's or experiences in persuit of remote caches where an ATV was used are appreciated..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

B8P,

One cache I searched for would have been made a lot easier had I brought along an ATV.

There is a logging road leading to the cache, and I had driven a 4x4 in preparation for this. However, the logging road was gated, so we couldn't drive back there. Instead, my friend and I ended up trudging through a half mile of swamp.

Had I brought an ATV, we could have skirted the gate easily. I don't know if that would have been illegal. It is public-use land.

Of course, this cache is in northern Minnesota, so I don't expect you'll be going up there anytime soon, but I like the idea of using an ATV.

A cache around here (south of Memphis) requires a walk along a trail that could be traversed with an ATV. The surrounding woods are full of ATV trails. The walk to the cache is only about 3/4 of a mile though, so it wouldn't be much of a ride.

Other hunts I've been on that require some sort of trail-walking are located in parks where it would be unwise to bring an ATV to ride around.

I think you might find a cache or two out there with good ATV traits, but they'll be few and far in between.

Of course, if you mounted some big paddlewheel balloon tires, you could hunt for hydrocaches on your ATV. MMmmmm, there's a thought. Amphibious vehicle caching.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by MGGPS:

A cache in an area designated for ATV use would be interesting.

A multi-leg cache would be good in some of these areas because of the number of different trails.

Muahahaahahaha...

What an awesome Idea.... icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by MGGPS:

A cache in an area designated for ATV use would be interesting.

A multi-leg cache would be good in some of these areas because of the number of different trails.

Muahahaahahaha...

What an awesome Idea.... icon_biggrin.gif

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:I don't think you guys know what you're getting yourself into by suggesting B8P to put out a multi-ATV cache!!!!!

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I agree...you needa car for his caches! If they were ATV multi's...you prolly need some extra gas cans on the back! icon_razz.gif

=============

If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into a watergun and shoot other people in the eyes.

quote:
Originally posted by pizzachef:I don't think you guys know what you're getting yourself into by suggesting B8P to put out a multi-ATV cache!!!!!

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I agree...you needa car for his caches! If they were ATV multi's...you prolly need some extra gas cans on the back! icon_razz.gif

=============

If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into a watergun and shoot other people in the eyes.

I made a reconnasance run this past weekend, and I have a great location for a ATV or 4x4 Friendly Multi Cache.

I also have a few great shots of the handlebar mount for my vista installed on my Honda FourTrax TRX300FX for those interested..

Buck8Point

Thanks for the offer Chobe..

When can I take delivery?

For anyone that i interested, here are a few shots

of my trusty Vista with the Handlebar mount on my Honda TRX-300FW.

Dsc07640a.jpg

Dsc07642a.jpg

Dsc07643a.jpg

Dsc07644a.jpg

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Don't they have real beer down there in BR?

Buck, how's the GPS hold up on the trail? I'd be worried that it'd bounce around so much and vibrate to make it almost unreadable.

Jamie

Bud Light IS REAL BEER...

Actually, the Mount is ROCK SOLID, it dosent vibrate not one bit..

It is very easy to read, and is in a fairly protected spot. I usually put the lanyard over the handle bar, and pull the bead tight just incase it might come off in some freak accident, that way i wont loose it.

Im really impressed with the mount.. got it at Amazon.com for 13.95.

Its like adding an instrument panel to my ATV.

Im havin a lot of fun with it..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

quote:
Originally posted by WaldenRun:

However, that muddy puddle in the background makes it look like you have erosion problems on your trails around there.

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

That Puddle is a DEEP Drainage Canal, bordering a cow pasture, after a fairly good downpour. No riding in there..

I was on the spoil bank about 10ft above that water and a steep bank.. Not much erosion at all actually, except maybe where the cattle make thier way down there to drink.

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

Here are a couple more Detail shots of the back side of the Garmin Handlebar Mount on my Honda FourTrax TRX-300FW.

Dsc07735a.jpg

Dsc07736a.jpg

Dsc07737a.jpg

Dsc07738a.jpg

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

[This message was edited by Buck8Point on June 17, 2002 at 07:49 PM.]