NIGHT RAIDERS

Snoogans

Night cachin can be a real hoot. I get off work at 10pm and it's always great to steal an FTF from the usual suspects. It's also much cooler here in the armpit of the universe on most nights. Before my recent vacation, a full third of my finds were at night. My most memorable caching adventures have been at night as well. I pick #5 since mine are a combination of 2-4.

Why do/don't you do it?

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

Why? 6 beers makes a lot of things seem like fun. They hurt less too.

For some reason after an Idaho Cache event night caching alwasy seems like a good idea and a ton of people go. It ends up being a kick.

Also a cache run starts early and tends to end at midnight for some reason they always take longer than planned and there is always one more cache..

Maybe it's the same elswhere? Night caching is not my normal mode of operation though.

=============================================

Funny, there are 3 let me explains and only my post so far.

Uhm...My name's not Vlad but let me explain.

I would go out at night if I worked late, but I don't work at all now icon_cool.gif so I choose to go out mostly in the morning.

Maybe I'll down a few beers one night and head out for a few FTF's. It does sound like fun!

Og

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

Sometimes it is too hot (like 6 months of the year) so night caching is great. Sometimes the thrill of getting that FTF before anyone else....what a rush. Sometimes we just feel like doing something fun before we go to bed, especially if we've had errands or worked or other not-fun stuff during the day.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Puppy and I have a strong trend going where we either go out in the early afternoon, and be back for dinner, or go out after dinner, and be home by about 3am... Since he's been painting the house off and on the last few weeks, it's been the after dinner rotation, which begins an hour or two before sunset. Since we usually decide to go caching on the spur of the moment, it's usually dark by the time we decide to...

That and we're night people anyways. We're always out at night. Might as well go caching while we're there icon_wink.gif Night caching is fun, and is a completely different experience from day caching, with different critters, and different challenges. Muggles are replaced with darkness.

A great serial killer once said, "Beauty is only skin deep. Trust me, I've looked..."

I haven't done a cache @ night yet, but I do plan to. The only thing that has kept me from doing so thus far is lack of a partner. (My wife won't go @ night) I want someone with me in case I happen upon one of the many dangerous nocturnal animals out and about. I.E. push them toward the bear/mountain lion/bobcat and run like hell.

Gee I can't imagine why your wife doesn't want to go with you at night. Chivalry is dead at your house.

(Just kidding around.)

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Around here, nearly every place that holds a cache closes at either "dusk", "sunset", or 11:00 PM. That sort of rules out most night caching.

I've tried it but didn't care for it. Other than true "night caches", I'll stick to the daytime. It's much easier to appreciate nature that way.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

Well, my name USED to be Vlad, but now I work on day shift....lol.

I've night cached from time to time, mainly when the opportunity arises, no real plan to do it, just did it. Found myself working a parks extra job one weekend, babysitting a cub scout pack in Challenger Park near Nasa. Just happened to have my night vision goggles with me and once the park was locked up, the Cub Scouts were all abed, and me with about 8 more hours with nothing to do, I hit the one cache in the park (at the time) using the night vision. Was a great experience, probably one of the neatest cache hunts I've done. I guess it was about 2 or 3 in the morning, no one else around, just me and the woodland creatures, and the cache.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I did some night caching during the winter when the daylight hours are short, and probably will again this winter.

When you get out of work and it's already dark, you really don't have much choice.

I'm really happy I got talked in to buying my Princeton Tec Aurora LED headlamp, it sure came in handy for geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

Well, my name USED to be Vlad, but now I work on day shift....lol.

I've night cached from time to time, mainly when the opportunity arises, no real plan to do it, just did it. Found myself working a parks extra job one weekend, babysitting a cub scout pack in Challenger Park near Nasa. Just happened to have my night vision goggles with me and once the park was locked up, the Cub Scouts were all abed, and me with about 8 more hours with nothing to do, I hit the one cache in the park (at the time) using the night vision. Was a great experience, probably one of the neatest cache hunts I've done. I guess it was about 2 or 3 in the morning, no one else around, just me and the woodland creatures, and the cache.

Hey man, Try THIS-N at night. I noticed that you still hadn't been there. Midnight seems to be a fun time there.

Excerpt of my 5/1 log:

I stood at the opening to that place (I wouldn't call it an entrance, for entrance implies an eventual exit.) thinking, "If I was on a movie screen right now, there would be someone in the theater yelling for me not to go in there!" I'll say this: 'If there is a house back there somewhere, at least one room is wallpapered with human skin.'

THAT is one of THE most memorable cache hunts in my short cachin career.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.