Attention Etiquette Police

gallahad

The Geocaching.com faq page reads:

"If I post a new cache, how long does it take to be listed on the web site?

Because each cache is reviewed by a volunteer, it may take up to 2 days to have your cache posted to the web site. Usually it takes much much less time - but be patient! Someone will approve your cache shortly. It does take longer on the weekends since we receive a larger volume of caches during this time."

-------------------------------------------------

I submitted a cache for posting on the site three days ago and, except for an automated email response announcing that the information had been received, I've heard nothing since.

I would consider it bad form to begin making inquiries at this time (three days isn't that far off the stated goal) but I'm wondering if it would be unreasonable to submit an inquiry after five days.

Any geocaching etiquette police out there who can help?? icon_rolleyes.gif

"Today's truth remains valid only as long as it withstands the test of tomorrow's discoveries" - George Hicks

I went and checked the approval queue for you. I did not see any pending caches for your account name, out of the 33 caches presently in the queue for the busy California volunteer approvers.

So, I did some more research. You have temporarily disabled your cache page. When you do this, the cache is removed from the approval queue. This fact is noted right on the hide a cache form. So, your cache was not acted upon because it is not in the approval queue. To fix this, go to your cache page and click the "enable" button near the title of the cache. To further fix this, you might consider an additional post to this thread.

Sincerely,

The Etiquette Police

--------------------

smile.gif Signal says, "Drink the Kool-Aid!" smile.gif

Re: the holding of breath and turning blue.

I learned from my kids that those kinds of reactions simply result in lapses of unconciousness so I'm not likely to try that. And being impolite, eventhough it is one weapon within my arsenal, would be my least favored choice. Hey, now that I think of it, maybe I was unconcious when I submitted the thing originally - but that would have been a malady associated with old age rather than holding my breath.

------------------------------------------------

Re:

"You have temporarily disabled your cache page. When you do this, the cache is removed from the approval queue. ... To fix this, go to your cache page and click the "enable" button near the title of the cache.

Sincerely,

The Etiquette Police"

--------------------

Sheeesh!! Well, is my face red?

Perhaps I could be excused cuz it's my first hide?

I have looked all over my cache page (even used the browser's "find" feature) and UTL any reference to the cache I submitted and, inadvertently, disabled.

Also:

"My hidden caches (show archived)

You haven't hidden any caches yet."

Would it make things easier if I simply resubmitted it?

"Today's truth remains valid only as long as it withstands the test of tomorrow's discoveries" - George Hicks

quote:
Originally posted by gallahad:

Sheeesh!! Well, is my face red?

Perhaps I could be excused cuz it's my first hide?

I have looked all over my cache page (even used the browser's "find" feature) and UTL any reference to the cache I submitted and, inadvertently, disabled.

Also:

"My hidden caches (show archived)

You haven't hidden any caches yet."

Would it make things easier if I simply resubmitted it?

Use the URL that was sent with the confirmation email. That should get you to the cache page where you can re-enable it so they can see it.

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

Yep, your cache is now visible in the approval queue. Congratulations on hiding your first cache. I am sure someone will look at it shortly.

Pardon me for being a bit jumpy... but when I saw the topic title "Etiquette Police" during this, the first week of trying to moderate an active forum, it did raise my pulse rate a notch. I don't much like that term, and one look at me will tell you that calling me anything "police" is an insult to hardworking law enforcement professionals everywhere. cute.gif

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

I don't much like that term, and one look at me will tell you that calling me anything "police" is an insult to hardworking law enforcement professionals everywhere. cute.gif

It's okay KA, we love ya anyway....LOL.

Uh, your Kool-aid line does remind me of my time at Roosevelt Roads Naval Station in Puerto Rico. I was there when the fellows brought back the remains of all those folks that *drank the kool-aid* for Jim Jones down south of us. I had to stand guard on planes full of them prior to transport back to the states. We had two survivors in our base hospital and we had a Marine guardpost in their ward twice to keep reporters from sneaking in to try and chat with them. Late one night, about three in the morning, my partner and I were checking on the Marines and one of the survivors woke up and screamed like a banshee with no warning... sheesh, needed a new uniform after that...LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."

quote:
... "Etiquette Police" ... I don't much like that term, ... :

Sorry, KA; meant no disrespect. Wanted to grab some attention. Have seen a lots of policing among these threads so I just combined all those little thoughts and the title surfaced.

No hard feelin's..........

Appreciate your prompt response and clearly understandable instructions.

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

Uh, your Kool-aid line does remind me of my time at Roosevelt Roads Naval Station in Puerto Rico. I was there when the fellows brought back the remains of all those folks that *drank the kool-aid* for Jim Jones down south of us.

Wow, that was about the *coolest* thing I've read in these forums. No offense to anyone involved, though. But Breaktrack, you got additional browney points in my book for that little story.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

gallahad: No problem!

Breaktrack: Great story!

HappyFrog: Great travel bug!

It occurs to me that my signature tagline might offend someone. God forbid that some geocacher who lost a loved one at Jonestown might read that line. I adopted it to demonstrate to a forum poster that direct insults against an admin will just bounce off of my kevlar flak jacket. Having made my point, I will change it. An "edgy" tagline would be more appropriate for my personal player account, if at all.

--------------------

quote:

gallahad: No problem!

Breaktrack: Great story!

HappyFrog: Great travel bug!

It occurs to me that my signature tagline might offend someone. God forbid that some geocacher who lost a loved one at Jonestown might read that line. I adopted it to demonstrate to a forum poster that direct insults against an admin will just bounce off of my kevlar flak jacket. Having made my point, I will change it. An "edgy" tagline would be more appropriate for my personal player account, if at all.

--------------------

Well, I sure didn't mean for you to change it because of my story, but I do see your point as well.

As an aside, you should have seen those poor Air Force pukes who had to go down there and clean up that mess.... those guys were messed up, I'm sure for a long time. Just young kids, like I was, out there doing what we were told to do. I'm sure glad I was in Puerto Rico and not on the ground at that compound.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:

It occurs to me that my signature tagline might offend someone. God forbid that some geocacher who lost a loved one at Jonestown might read that line.

--------------------

I have to admit, since I was stationed in CENTRAL California at the time, and all those folks lived in that area before jim jones took them south, it did hit my "unfunny bone" especially with the posting "location".

It was a miserable Christmas.

I spent three weeks stacking aluminum coffins.

I can still smell it.

geocan.jpgmicro.gif

Trash-out, EVERYtime

"And I asked myself, 'Why is he sprinkling dirt on his GPSr?' "

quote:
Originally posted by GeoCan:

quote:

It occurs to me that my signature tagline might offend someone. God forbid that some geocacher who lost a loved one at Jonestown might read that line.

I have to admit, since I was stationed in CENTRAL California at the time, and all those folks lived in that area before jim jones took them south, it did hit my "unfunny bone" especially with the posting "location".

It was a miserable Christmas.

I spent three weeks stacking aluminum coffins.

I can still smell it.

I know Geo-can, I didn't mention the smell, but it's never far from memory, eh? You must have been at Travis or thereabouts, I wasn't sure where they took em after they left Roosy Roads. I had read where most were from California. It was quite an ordeal for all involved.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bo Peep & The Sheep:

Most were fromteh Fairfield area, which was about 60 miles from us, I was at Castle. Travis is outside Fairfield, but a lot came back by Tanker.

http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/gc/geocan.jpg http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/gc/micro.gif

Trash-out, EVERYtime

"And I asked myself, 'Why is he sprinkling dirt on his GPSr?' "

Ah, okay. I had no idea how they were transported later on, they all left Roosey in C-130's. Don't know what they did for transport after they hit the states. I just figured they headed for Andrews or points west of there.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif