4WD and geocaching

chris_b600

Hey! More Jeepers!

I belong to a club in Kalamazoo. We've talked about a "Jeep-o-cache" run a couple of times. Nov. 1st, there is one that has been set up by some guys on michiganjeepers.com Basically, we are meeting at a starting point, coordinates are given and we have to navigate from one waypoint to another and so on. Kind of a multi stage run. The run is going to end with burgers, beer and bonfire.

Check out michiganjeepers.com and go to the trailride section.

I live in California now. While on the Rubicon Trail (near Lake Tahoe) I came across a Case Logic 48 CD case that was filled with CD's. Rather than just take it I hid it about 5 feet off the trail and took coordinates. Gives me a reson to go back. icon_wink.gif As for caches along that trail there are a couple that are a little hike away.

While I lived in Oregon I found 3 caches that were all on back roads in the Tillamook State Forest:

Something Special - by The Tungsten Jihad!

The Burn - by Ward Cunningham

Balance Beams - by oregone

Plus that area has some great wheeling like 'Fire Break 5' trail.

I enjoy mixing the two sports. The whole reson I got started in geocaching was I had been using a GPS for tracking routes and then another fourwheeler mentioned it.

quote:
Originally posted by chris_b:

Anyone know of a good place to search for caches on good trails? I love to find new trails in my Jeep and it would be fun to 4 wheel and geocach at the same time.

Thanks

I prefer rental cars -- there are some places you just won't take a 4WD.

And yes, I took a rented Mercury Grand Marquis down some dirt roads this weekend while on vacation.

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

quote:
Originally posted by cmpalmer:

I prefer rental cars -- there are some places you just won't take a 4WD.

And yes, I took a rented Mercury Grand Marquis down some dirt roads this weekend while on vacation.

--

You do of course realize that taking any rental car off the paved road is usually a violation of the rental agreement. Not only can and will they hold you liable for any damage they claim is caused by doing so, the super expensive insurance they sell you to cover such things also will not pay because you were violating the rental agreement icon_frown.gif

There is nothing quite like a $5K repair bill showing up on the Credit Card when you were not expecting it

mystats.php?userid=paulw&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=wsga.jpg

icon_wink.gif These are the cache's we've done in Michigan while 4x4ing. Preacher's Hill- St. Helen , Take it & break it- Mt morris, The Indian said to the devil,"I'm stumped"- Ossinkee, Trip back in time- Fredrick, There is one in Silver lake sand dunes-Mears, off wheeling park, can't remember the name. Silver lk is awesome to do, cache' ok.

If you get to Indiana, go to Attica, BADLANDS- That place rocks!!!!! icon_cool.gif There is a cache' in the area but we were having so much fun wheeling, we didn't even want to stop and that was a first. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Right Wing Wacko:

You do of course realize that taking any rental car off the paved road is usually a violation of the rental agreement. Not only can and will they hold you liable for any damage they claim is caused by doing so, the super expensive insurance they sell you to cover such things also will not pay because you were violating the rental agreement icon_frown.gif

That was, of course, mostly a joke about people abusing rental cars told by a co-worker of mine. Yes, I did take a rental car caching and I did go a few hundred feet down a dirt (actually crushed oyster shell) drive, but it was because my van broke a belt while on vacation and I wasn't going to miss my carefully planned geocaching just because I had to rent a car.

--

quote:
Originally posted by Right Wing Wacko:

There is nothing quite like a $5K repair bill showing up on the Credit Card when you were not expecting it

Oh....if Enterprise only knew where their little Grand Am went when I was visiting in Oregon.

-Midnight