Advice and opinions needed......

I was wondering if we should archive this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=33366

or just wait a few. Upinyachit has learned alot here on the forums and completely understand about hiding caches on vacation. I have no problem checking and maintenancing the cache to keep our reputation a float, but it is a long drive from Rochester N.Y., just to find out the cache was stolen. We most likely will not place another vacation cache again, and feel like this cache is a prime example not to. I am now in a dilemma on what to do. Since I took on this responsibilty and had great discussions on hiding vacation caches, do I drive out there to check on the cache, or wait a few to see if someone else might find it, or just archive it?

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

Since the guy who posted a skunk has found the cahe before. They are the kind of person who you would have emailed to help you verify the cache is still there to begin with.

Given that he can't find it now. The cache is probably toast and should be archived or diabled until you can get there and confirm for yourself.

Wherever you go there you are.

I'd E-mail a cacher that has been there and perhaps has had a repore with you as the owner or has posted such that you feel this person would be a good candidate to check it out for you. Also is there a local chapter to geocaching.com groups? This could be another source.

Then... I'd see if someone local wants to adopt the cache before you archive it. Send an e-mail out to several posters that have logged the cache and ask for a new owner willing to adopt.

..coarse, I'm no expert, but this seems logical to me.

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

and was the last one there and it's gone. But it looks like he lives in Ohio. Find someone local if you can. Check the regional forums. Otherwise, archive it. The photo shows the fallen log, and it can't be that hard to find. Ah, well lessons learned.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

Short term, contact someone who has been there before to go back and check on it for you.

Long term, work out an agreement with some of the local cachers to do maintenance runs for you -or- have a local cache placer adopt it from you.

As a last result, archive it. Obviously no one wants this to happen, but it is an option - even temporarily!

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I had a similar problem with this cache that I placed while on vacation. The cache was never found. Three separate people tried unsuccessfully (two e-mailed me but didn't enter a log). I even gave hints and sent photos to one person who went back and still couldn't find the cache.

The cache was in such an out of the way place that there is no way anyone would have stumbled upon it (1 mile up in the Sierras and far from the trail). Someone must have hunted it down and taken it.

That is the last I will place a cache far from home.

RM