Overnight Cache Hunting Adventures

I'm just wondering how many have gone for caches that required an overnight stay.

I just got back yesterday from an overnighter with Canadazuuk. It was my first overnight caching trip and I'd definitely do more. This particular cache, the Tsleil-Waututh cache (you can read the log and see photos) is located at the top of an inlet near Vancouver and required us to paddle 42km (27 miles). It was a very enjoyable and scenic trip.

The cache is accessible by 4x4 (and then a 2km hike) but we were trying to be the first to find it by paddling. On the way back we placed a couple of caches that are only accessible by water and will most likely require an overnight stay. We plan to go back and place several more caches along the route in the hopes that it will offer more incentive for others to make the effort.

So the question is (and it does not only apply to kayak or water-based caches):

Have you done any caches that required you to camp overnight and would having a number of caches along the route make you more willing to go after them?

Jomarac5:

Have you done any caches that required you to camp overnight and would having a number of caches along the route make you more willing to go after them?

_____

Yes!

I would definitely go for an all-weekender, two (and maybe even two and a half) days of paddeling and with more caches on the way!!

______________________________________________ Kanto

~lucien.o

My parents and I had planned to go after a difficult NE multicache that would require a trip into the Platte river for a stage and we figured would require an overnight stay. Unfortunately, several legs of it recently went missing and it was archived. icon_frown.gif

Anyway, I would definitely do one. Most of my caches have not been very challenging and I am dying to go for a real hard one!

I do have a hard one or two planned to go for in Colorado soon, but they likely won't require overnight stays. Just a long drive, decent hike, and a lot of searching!

pokeanim3.gif

A group of us recently did an overnite cache hunt. The overnite stay wasn't required to get to the caches. but it made it more fun. In fact the cache hunt was secondary. We'd have made the trip even if thre were no caches involved.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Briansnat, that's a very cool idea. Coincidentally, Zuuk had spoke to me on the phone last night about putting together a kayaking event cache in our area. It will mean arranging kayak rentals for most but that's pretty easy.

Looking at your cache page and your trip report, it sounds like it was a lot of fun.

It appears that you only gave a week or so notice -- how many showed up for the event?

Anything that you would do done differently if you were to do another one?

Thanks.

quote:
Looking at your cache page and your trip report, it sounds like it was a lot of fun.

It appears that you only gave a week or so notice -- how many showed up for the event?

Anything that you would do done differently if you were to do another one?

It was a lot of fun. There was plenty of advance notice in the regional forums. Turned out that there were only 5 of us (It was a bad weekend for several locals), but that was fine. We still had a blast. It's not easy to get a bunch of people together for a weekend like this one, but all you need is a few great people and a nice place to go and it works. And the Catskills are one of the best spots one can imagine.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

If anyone ever gets to the florida area we have a paticular set of caches that can be done as a weekend set up. even though each cache is easily accessible one or 2 at a time the trails loop around and along The Florida National Scenic Trail and requires close to 30 mile of hiking to complete the 6 caches together. we recently did an overnight and did some of the caches the next day. these caches are located in the Ocala National Forest.

boldly going where others have gone before