Myth or Real????

My fiance heard a story from some of his friends that go geocaching and i was wondering if anyone else has. It goes like this. In a big older city in the USA there is an old library like 80 years old and in it is a cache. (But no one knows its name.) Its hidden in a book some one brought from there house and stuck on the library shelf when you find the unmarked book, which has never been moved or even noticed by people. You open it and its hollowed out... and a note pad is in there and all you do is sign it and log it on the web site. Nothing to trade its the trick to find the right book. Sounds interesting!! Does anyone know if this actually exists or could I have given an idea to someone out there!! HEE HEE icon_biggrin.gif

We hunted a multi-cache once which gave us coods. to a light pole outside a libary. On the pole was a book location number. We went to the shelf and opened the book. The book had blank pages and a note to sign the page like a log book. Which is what it was. We think it is a great idea and enjoyed the hunt.

Always so close and don't know it!

I don't know about that story, but I remember when the Newark Public Library was switched over to a computerized checkout system a few years back, there was am amazing number of books that had been on the shelves for over 50 years never been checked out even once ... so the story sounds feasible.

Not too long ago, I noticed a page for an out-of-state cache where coordinates for the next stage of a multicache would be found written in pencil on a designated page in a reference book at a library ... I think the cache was in Virginia.

I went to a cache like that but I wont share the link. SPOILER It's in Kirkland though.

Pictures spoilers to the owner deletes them if you post them.

I'm not triing to ruin other searchers experiance They didn't have to look at the link if they didn't want to. icon_eek.gif

Just sharing with the thread.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

[This message was edited by leatherman on July 20, 2002 at 10:43 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

No pictures though the owner deletes them if you post them.

Why do you think the owner does that? Do you suppose it's because the FUN of that particular cache is the surprise value of not knowing what to expect before you start out? Do you suppose that the cache owner is trying to preserve that aspect of the cache, by deleting spoilers?

Do you suppose that by posting it here, you've just spoiled the surprise for some people, and thus spoiled their fun?

quote:
Originally posted by Kodak's4:

Do you suppose that by posting it here, you've just spoiled the surprise for some people, and thus spoiled their fun?

You're being a tad harsh.

Nobody made you click on that link, since people read these forums from thousands of miles away, it makes sense to share ideas.

Be careful what you click on if you're going to be upset over receiving information.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

quote:

You're being a tad harsh.

Nobody made you click on that link, since people read these forums from thousands of miles away, it makes sense to share ideas.

Be careful what you click on if you're going to be upset over receiving information.

You seem to be missing the point.

1. The owner of the cache is actively engaged in trying to make sure that the surprise isn't spoiled, by deleting spoiler photos and spoiler log entries.

2. Posting a spoiler here in the discussion forum is a spoiler the cache owner can't delete.

3. It's possible to share ideas without including spoilers. Note that the post by the 6 Pack Rats and the post I responded to are both discussing the same cache. The 6 Pack Rats shared the idea without including a spoiler.

4. My not reading the posts does not prevent people other than me from having the surprise spoiled. On the other hand, sharing the idea without including spoilers DOES.

Since the cache owner is apparently taking steps to keep spoilers from being bandied about (by deleting spoiler logs and photos), it seems like ordinary politeness to not post spoilers here. What do you think?

quote:

Since the cache owner is apparently taking steps to keep spoilers from being bandied about (by deleting spoiler logs and photos), it seems like ordinary politeness to not post spoilers here. What do you think?

I'm not going to deny that I didn't think about spoilers when I posted. However a polite email would have prompted me to change that post. You didn't have to jump in here *****ing everyone out.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg