GeoLogs

quote:
Originally posted by Conchcracker:

I have a Excel Spread Sheet that I have developed for keeping track of caches. If any one would care to use it I'll be happy to post it or email it to you.

Me too! Me too!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I do not use a spreadsheet, although CacheMaps looks nice. I built a database for my geocaching experience.

In a thread long ago someone caught my attention by pointing out that unless we keep a log of all of posted logs, in an update of this site (or worse, should the site suddenly disappear) one's geocaching history could easily be lost.

I decided then to build a database. I track all the caches and cachers I come into contact with. I track hitchhikers and the logs of my finds and hides.

It works for me. I link photographs as well. Someday, I will mount it to a web server so it can be queried via the web.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

I found that the pocket queries replaces all of my own logging.

I have 3 recurring pocket queries. 1. My Need to Find, 2. My hidden, and 3. My finds. I can then transform the xml on a web page instantly and daily or weekly the data file is automatically up to date.

Excel or other mechanisms were just dual entry and always a bit out of date. Just my 2 cents.