How does one conduct a Team Building Game with Geocaching?

J. Galt

I'll start off by saying I've never held such an event, this is just how I would handle it myself. More details (size of the group, ages, etc) would have been helpful.

I would start off by not telling the kids what is going on except that it's an outdoor adventure and advising them what to wear. This will cause them to discuss the "mystery" at length with each other on the way to the site. This will also keep some from researching geocaching...it should be as new as possible to all of them to keep some from having an advantage.

Next, I would divide the group into small teams, maybe 4 per team. The slowest walker in each team would get the GPS (though they wouldn't know WHY they were selected). The first mission should be to correctly mark the starting location so they don't get lost icon_wink.gif

You could have each team hide a few caches and then find each others--collecting the cache itself as "proof" so you don't have to clean up later. Teams could also compete to see who could find each others' caches the fastest. Distance limits should also be introduced (i.e., don't go more then 1 mile down this trail).

Each team should have a secretary to note coordinates, the GPS carrier, an inventory coordinator, and depending upon how old they are an adult for each team. The remaining members would be "seekers"--either seeking a cache or a good hiding spot. Team jobs could be rotated between hiding and finding.

A more work intensive approach would be for you to set up a multi cache in advanced. You could set out several micros with different coordinates for each team so that they aren't all looking for the same cache at the same time (like the micro would have a piece of paper saying "Team 1 go to coordinates xxx Team 2 go to coordinates xyx"). This way they are all doing exactly the same difficulty level. The team that finds the final cache would get a first finder's prize.

Hope this helps!