You Don't Get Many Pirates In Canada, Eh?

Pantalaimon

Well, I know there is the contingent which says stop feeding the Pirate's lust for attention and he'll (they'll?) go away, but its too much fun for me to let go.

It seems that another Pirate has cropped up in Canada. See this thread.

The pirate seems to have an MO different from past pirates, but I won't go into too many details, I'll let each make their own decision.

Also, let it be known that the Canadian Pirate seems to have logged on to piratecaching.com and posted this thread.

Thoughts?

Pan

Here there be tigers. - My response when asked by a fellow Geocacher to describe the attitude of the forums.

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

Fascinating.

Hydee just deleted a bunch of notes from the most recent cache that was pirated.

All of the notes were local cachers flinging accusations. It was not necessary. There is a thread in the canada forums already discussing the topic. If the local cachers want to have a discussion they should make their posts to the forum not the cache page. bad_boy_a.gif (signal with his best pirate imitation)

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

I work for the frog

Please don't throw sand when playing in the sandbox!

Fair enough Hydee. There were a lot of accusations being thrown around there -- including fingers being pointed not only at me, but also towards at least one very prominent and respected local cacher who we all know didn't have anything to do with the pirating of these caches.

btw: Have I mentioned that I really don't like those frog emoticons? icon_wink.gif

This is what I posted on the other Canada thread, it still holds true.

I haven't gone back and read the thread that got shut down just yet so I'll stick to my orginal opinion for now. I don't think its entirely wrong to add a new dimension to the game, if it doesn't cause harm. Having said that there could be some problems with moving a cache, what if the land owner agreed to where the orginal cache was placed but doesn't like the fact that it had been moved. Assuming the cache stayed in the same neck of the woods that is. He could take the cache and not allow any others on the land. Just one of the what ifs. Personally if I had a cache and it was moved and a prize was added to it I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Canadian pirates, eh? I guess this is more on topic than last time then:

"Last Saskatchewan Pirate" by Arrogant Worms

I used to be a farmer, and I made a living fine,

I had a little stretch of land along the city line

But time went by and though I tried, the money wasn’t there

And bankers came and took my land and told me "fair is fair"

I looked for every kind of job, the answer always no

"Hire you now? " they’d always laugh, "we just let twenty go!"

The government, the promised me a measly little sum

But I’ve got too much pride to end up just another bum.

Then I thought, who gives a dadgum if all the jobs are gone?

I’m gonna be a pirate on the River Saskatchewan!!!

Chorus

Cause it’s a heave-ho, hi-ho, comin’ down the plains

Stealin’ wheat and barley and all the other grains

It’s a ho-hey, hi-hey farmers bar yer doors

When ya see the Jolly Roger on Regina’s mighty shores

Well, you’d think the local farmers would know that I’m at large

But just the other day I found an unprotected barge

I snuck up right behind them and they were none the wiser,

I rammed their ship and sank it and I stole their fertilizer!

A bridge outside of Moosejaw spans a mighty river

Farmers cross in so much fear their stomachs are a-quiver

Cause they know that Tractor Jack is hiding in the bay

I’ll jump the bridge and knock them cold and sail off with their hay!

Chorus

Well, Mountie Bob he chased me, he was always at my throat

He’d follow on the shoreline but he didn’t own a boat

But cutbacks were a-coming and the mountie lost his job

And now he’s sailing with us, and we call him Salty Bob!

A swingin’ sword, a skull and bones and pleasant company

I never pay my income tax and screw the GST (screw it!!)

Prince Albert down to Saskatoon I’m the terror of the seas

If you wanna reach the co-op, boy, you gotta get by me!

Chorus

Arrrr, Metis! Get it? Matey? (Hey, that’s Riel-ly funny! you know, Louis Riel? )

Well, pirate life’s appealing but you just don’t find it here,

I’ve heard that in Alberta there’s a band of buccaneers

They roam the Athabaska and sail to Fort Mckay

And you’re gonna loose your stetson if you have to pass their way!

Well, winter is a-comin’ and a chill is in the breeze

My pirate days are over once the river starts to freeze

I’ll be back in springtime but now I have to go

I hear there’s lots of plundering down in New Mexico!

Chorus x2

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Jomarac5, I really didn't go into too much reading about it. Are they doing the same thing as the pirate in Washington? I really have no feelings towards it one way or the other. It's wrong if they are taking stuff from the cache. If they are playing their game without hurting anyone or causing the cache owner to go out of their way then fine. It's still funny. I was contacted by the pirate a week or two ago. They wanted me to aid in their game. I chose not to respond to them.I was offered the chance to "rescue" a TB. While it was temptiing to see if they would follow through, I didn't want to be accused or being associated with it.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Woodsters, the pirate that is in our neighbourhood is not operating the same as the one recently plundering caches in Washington. The pirate that plundered our caches is called Captain Urchin.

One of my caches was plundered by the pirate, along with another local cache.

This pirate is removing the contents of the cache, hiding the contents in a Lock & Lock container close by to the original cache location (of the two caches plundered so far, the contents have not been more than 30 or so meters away).

A note is left in the original cache saying that the cache has been plundered and a map is drawn on the back of the note showing the location of the plundered contents.

After opening the pirate container (the Lock & Lock box), a second note is found, with instructions to take the contents back to the original cache, put them back in the original cache container, trade whatever you want to trade, and then take the Lock & Lock box and use it to place a cache of your own.

You can see some photos of the notes that were left on this thread in the Canada Forums that is now closed.

Quite a different method compared to the Washington pirate.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Woodsters, the pirate that is in our neighbourhood is not operating the same as the one recently plundering caches in Washington. The pirate that plundered our caches is called Captain Urchin.

One of my caches was plundered by the pirate, along with another local cache.

This pirate is removing the contents of the cache, hiding the contents in a Lock & Lock container close by to the original cache location (of the two caches plundered so far, the contents have not been more than 30 or so meters away).

A note is left in the original cache saying that the cache has been plundered and a map is drawn on the back of the note showing the location of the plundered contents.

After opening the pirate container (the Lock & Lock box), a second note is found, with instructions to take the contents back to the original cache, put them back in the original cache container, trade whatever you want to trade, and then take the Lock & Lock box and use it to place a cache of your own.

You can see some photos of the notes that were left on http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=3516058331&m=42760668 that is now closed.

Quite a different method compared to the Washington pirate.

Pirate? Huh? What's one of those?

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Personally I see nothing wrong with this kind of Pirate, he/she is adding to the game rather then subtracting from it. I know some people will have problems with it because I know people that get upset when you use their phone at work, or move something on their desk because it is not in the exact place they put it. I have even had to fight someone because I placed a jacket on the baseboard of their bunk without their OK. There are all types of people out there some more an*l then others and we will never have a 100% agreement on any subject, so lets just not take it too seriously and act like it is the end of the world.