MapSend question

I asked a similar question about 2 weeks ago and got no replies. It would be nice to move loc or other file types directly to MapSend. My current fix is to load all the points from the computr to the merigreen and then souwn load them from the merigreen to MapSend. Clumsy and slow but it works and is a lot faster than entering a lot of waypoints by hand.

We need to see if the MapSend file format is published, or if it needs to be reverse-engineered. If the former is the case, then I will probably extend my Perl script that translates EasyGPS XML .loc files into g7towin .csv files so that it cen generate the MapSend files. But I don't have enough time to reverse-engineer the format.

quote:
Originally posted by headmj:

I have sent an email to the technical support folks at Magellan to see if I can get the file layout. I expect that this reply will take a while. I will let you know what I hear.

Isn't this discussion happening in a couple of places?

The mapsend file format is documented. Look in the 'files' section of the m330 or meridian groups. My open-source program 'gpsbabel' on sourceforge reads and writes waypoint sections just fine.

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

Look in the 'files' section of the m330 or meridian groups. My open-source program 'gpsbabel' on sourceforge reads and writes waypoint sections just fine.

Where are these groups? Not on Groundspeak I assume (I didn't think they had GPS specific groups.) Yahoo?

I will definitely check out your program!

quote:
Originally posted by John, Mark & Kyle:

quote:

Look in the 'files' section of the m330 or meridian groups. My open-source program 'gpsbabel' on sourceforge reads and writes waypoint sections just fine.

Where are these groups? Not on Groundspeak I assume (I didn't think they had GPS specific groups.) Yahoo?

I will definitely check out your program!

Yes, sorry to be imprecise. Those are both yahoo groups. The description is in both, but you can go straight to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/m330/files/

quote:

The mapsend file format is documented. Look in the 'files' section of the m330 or meridian groups.

Thanks for the info. With that we can easioy build an app to import .loc files into MapSend.

quote:
My open-source program 'gpsbabel' on sourceforge reads and writes waypoint sections just fine.

You listed your program as "Unix-only," and the source is not available.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

You listed your program as "Unix-only," and the source is not available.

The source is right there. If you can't get it from sourceforge, mail me. It's ISO C and works on anything with a POSIX interface. As I said in the doc, it even works on Windows systems running Cygwin and Mac systems with Darwin.

I'd welcome ports to other OSes or environments. If you aren't using the serial handling, you probably don't even need POSIX termio handling and could probably build it for DOS or something equally under-featured.

I fthi sconversation is going on in mutiple places its [robably because I don't know all the places yet. icon_biggrin.gif Just had my GPS since early June. I am probably not in your league as programmer but I as gonna try. But I think teh pros have this under control. If I can help testing or anything let me know!

I fthi sconversation is going on in mutiple places its [robably because I don't know all the places yet. icon_biggrin.gif Just had my GPS since early June. I am probably not in your league as programmer but I as gonna try. But I think teh pros have this under control. If I can help testing or anything let me know!

I just bought our first GPS today......Magellen Map 330X and it has MapSend software with it.

Don't tell me I'm not going to be able to use it for geocaching, which I really wanted to get into.

If I have to enter a lot of stuff manually Sam's will be getting it back! I don't have time for that!!

Kathy in WV

quote:
Originally posted by GeoCraig:

I just got a Magellan SporTrak Pro with the MapSendTopo map software. I can't load geocaching data from GeoBuddy into MapSend because it (MS) needs the file in its own format.

Any ideas on how to load cache info into MapSend?

Thanks.

Kathy in WV

Geocacher posted August 03, 2002 01:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MapSend, EasyGPS and Geobuddy

You can download from Geocaching.com to EasyGPS.

Easy GPS will only do 25 at a time.

Take from EasyGPS to Geobuddy to merge over 25 files.

Open merged file with EasyGPS and transfer to GPS.

Transfer from GPS to MapSend database.

My brother-in-law downloaded all the waypoints in Idaho to Mapsend at one time. This was over 300 waypoints, so it isn't limited to such as small number. This is not all good since now I have so many waypoints that in some areas all I see is the waypoints. icon_cool.gif

Lost? Keep Going. You're making good time anyway!!

Geocacher posted August 03, 2002 01:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MapSend, EasyGPS and Geobuddy

You can download from Geocaching.com to EasyGPS.

Easy GPS will only do 25 at a time.

Take from EasyGPS to Geobuddy to merge over 25 files.

Open merged file with EasyGPS and transfer to GPS.

Transfer from GPS to MapSend database.

My brother-in-law downloaded all the waypoints in Idaho to Mapsend at one time. This was over 300 waypoints, so it isn't limited to such as small number. This is not all good since now I have so many waypoints that in some areas all I see is the waypoints. icon_cool.gif

Lost? Keep Going. You're making good time anyway!!

Easygps can transfer waypoints to the Magellan 330 and meridians with no problem. You can then download those points to the Mapsend if yu want them there. The problem was in going directly from the geocache download to the MapSend software. Don't panic your Map 330x will outperform may othe rdevices used here.