Mapopolis Pushpin Files?

I hear great things about Mapopolis. I don't need autorouting. My GPS does that. What I do like about Streets and Trips is the Pushpin files and the ability to have all the caches I'm interested in show up in my map.

Does Mapopolis have a similar ability? It would be better if GPSBabel could create the file format.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Mapopolis calls it a Maplet. I believe it is a propietary format and I have not seen any non-Mapopolis software that can read/write a Maplet, so you would have to enter in the caches manually. The older version (3.x) of Mapopolis used a command line utility for this, with the new (4.x) version you would enter the lat/lon on the Pocket PC right into Mapoplis to create the Maplet.

http://michael.sprague.name/pocketpc/

Geocaching with a Pocket PC FAQ

quote:

Does Mapopolis have a similar ability? It would be better if GPSBabel could create the file format.

I don't know about version 3 vs. version 4 that msprague speaks of, but there was a bit of discussion on the GPSBabel-Misc mailing list in this messageand this message where someone shows secret of the gpsbabel/mapconverter/mapopolis trick.

It seems a bit involved as each "maplet" seems to have "hard-coded" information in it regarding the map it's designed to be used with. ??

alex

This thread hints at my holy grail. Anyone try this successfully yet? (see alexm's links)

I'm dying to import my caches into mapopolis.

I'm going to tinker this weekend. Dying to do this though.

If anyone has, please share! icon_smile.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

This thread hints at my holy grail. Anyone try this successfully yet? (see alexm's links)

I'm dying to import my caches into mapopolis.

I'm going to tinker this weekend. Dying to do this though.

As far as I know, noone has yet to 100% crack the nut on that one. It appears to be the #1 requested feature (or close to it) in the forums at gpspassion.com. So far, the best answer (from mapopolis) is to poke the lat/lon into mapopolis ver 4. Version 3 is, of course, to use Mapconverter and GPSBabel.

I'm 99% confident that I could create something usable using GPSBabel. I'm simply lacking the math-thrust to encode/decode the coordinates into anything useable icon_smile.gif.

Like you, I think if I had that one piece... my quest for the perfect PDA mapping application would be complete. Out of PocketStreets, Delorme XMAP HandHeld Street Atlas / Topo, Destinator, Mapopolis, and probably a few others I'm forgetting, Mapopolis has 'em all beat hands down. 'cept the whole waypoint issue...

For now I'm happy with version 3 + mapconverter. I just hope I don't need any more maps than I already have as the PPC version 3 maps are apparently no longer available icon_frown.gif.

alex

I have Mapopolis loaded on my palm and use it with my gm100. As we know the maps on the older gps's for here in Canada are not very good.

Hooking up the palm and running Mapopolis with there maps is the best thing I found for good street level mapping for Toronto.

I even use the routing for my wife when she needs to go to a place she is sure how to get there.

The only thing missing is getting my waypoints imported instead of typing them in....

icon_smile.gif

gm100guy

http://members.rogers.com/gm100guy/cachepage.htm

Ontario geocachers http://groups.msn.com/GeocachinginOntario/homepage

Using mapconverter, I have been able to get the waypoints into Mapopolis, but I cannot associate them with a map, in other words. all I get is a blank page with my waypoints. Can you tell me what to do to get them on top of a map.......

With an example if you would.....

Thanks in Advance

quote:

Using mapconverter, I have been able to get the waypoints into Mapopolis, but I cannot associate them with a map, in other words. all I get is a blank page with my waypoints. Can you tell me what to do to get them on top of a map.......

With an example if you would.....

I haven't had a problem with the GPSBabel/Mapconverter combo putting things in the wrong place. Now maps & maplets I've tried to make by hand are a different story. icon_smile.gif

I'll walk through my procedure here in case I'm missing something... It's actually not that bad. 99% of it is handled in my weekly "go geocaching" batch file. The only thing that takes any time is actually running mapconverter itself since it can't be scripted in a batch file.

First, you create the mapconverter "input" file. I use GPSBabel and a version of the style file noted above in my earlier post. It's this text in a file called mapopolis_geo.style that tells GPSBabel how to read/write these things for Mapconverter:

# Format: Mapopolis Enhanced/Basic CSV# Author: Gary Paulson#   Date: 01/13/2003# Requires unsupported mapconverter.exe from mapopolis.com.## Modifications by Alex Mottram documented 6/30/2003# Change %-40.40s on description output to %-.40s to stop padding.# Add QUOTE as badchars, remove COMMA.# Removed Mapconverter.exe's README information from style file.# Changed OFIELD to IFIELD in case you ever want to read one of these things.## FILE LAYOUT DEFINITIIONS:FIELD_DELIMITER   COMMASPACERECORD_DELIMITER  NEWLINEBADCHARS          "# Map Info Record (header):PROLOGUE M, "Geocaches", "GPSBabel", Geocaches, C:GPSMakepsp__mapconverter_out_geo.out### INDIVIDUAL DATA FIELDS, IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE:## L Records:IFIELD  CONSTANT, "L", "%s"		# [L]ANDMARKIFIELD  CONSTANT, "Geocaches", "%s"     # Category for Landmark SearchesIFIELD  DESCRIPTION, "", "%-.40s"       # NameIFIELD  CONSTANT, "1", "%s"		# View at Zoom Level 1 (1-4)IFIELD  LON_DECIMAL, "", "%08.5f"       # LongitudeIFIELD  LAT_DECIMAL, "", "%08.5f"       # Latitude

With that, I run a GPX or whatever through GPSBabel and spit out the mapconverter input with this command:

gpsbabel -i gpx,gsshortnames -f 877.gpx -o xcsv,style=mapopolis_geo.style -F __mapconverter_in_geo

When that's done, I have a file called "__mapconverter_in_geo" that I feed through mapconverter. It looks like this:

M, "Geocaches", "GPSBabel", Geocaches, C:GPSMakepsp__mapconverter_out_geo.outL, Geocaches, 763FD 35/3 Wild Azalea Cache, 1, -92.62175, 31.23895L, Geocaches, 7E2FD 2/15 Palomino Cache, 1, -91.01313, 30.58123...L, Geocaches, GEMXFD 1/1 Cosay Rd., 1, -92.12723, 30.63550L, Geocaches, GEXVFD 15/15 Born on the Bayou, 1, -91.82243, 30.13208

Once that's all done, the batch file copies __mapconverter_out_geo.out to a directory that syncs with my iPAQ PDA under the name "geocaches.mlp".

And now that I've typed all that... This may be your problem. I crank up Mapopolis, and select "choose map" on the tools menu. I see my "geocaches" map as well as the other county maps on my PDA. I select my geocaches map as well as which counties I want and don't want to see and suddenly I've got maps with little pink dots all over it for geocaches.

And the best part is... You can then use the geocaches as destinations in a driving directions route. Sweet.

Hope that helps!

alex

[This message was edited by alexm on August 10, 2003 at 02:25 PM.]

How do I do this part....????

How do I get your style into gpsbabel...??

With that, I run a GPX or whatever through GPSBabel and spit out the mapconverter input with this command:

gpsbabel -i gpx,gsshortnames -f 877.gpx -o xcsv,style=mapopolis_geo.style -F __mapconverter_in_geo

quote:
Originally posted by lazymannow:

How do I get your style into gpsbabel...??

2 things.

First, you need a GPSBabel that supports the xcsv (whatever character separated values) format. I don't think it's in the release version available on the GPSBabel Website, but I am sure it is in the beta that is downloadable.

Second, you'll need to do it from the command line. The windows graphical user interface wrapper is quite limited and only handles simple "convert this to that" invocations of GPSBabel.

If you're doing the command line and still lost, it goes like this:

0. Cut and paste the above "style" into notepad and save it as "mapopolis.style" in your gpsbabel directory. Change the last chunk of the line that reads:

M, "Geocaches", "GPSBabel", Geocaches, C:GPSMakepsp__mapconverter_out_geo.out

to something that actually exists on your computer. This is where mapconverter will store it's output. Something such as:

M, "Geocaches", "GPSBabel", Geocaches, [b]C:GPSBabelgeocaches.out[/b]

** I also noticed that I muffed up the original version. The line that reads:

BADCHARS      "

should read:

BADCHARS      ",

1. Open a command line session (called either a command line or MSDOS prompt in various versions of windows).

2. Change to your gpsbabel directory.

3. Run the command I noted above using whatever filename you chose for your mapopolis.style file and whatever filename you would like to use for GPSBabel's output.

4. Run mapconverter and choose "mapconverter.txt" or whatever as input.

5. Copy output file to your PDA and make sure it has a .mlp extension (for PPC devices, palm uses .pdb extension).

Here's the step-by-step:

C:WINDOWSDesktop>cd gpsbabelC:gpsbabel>dir Volume in drive C has no label Volume Serial Number is 3A30-1AF2 Directory of C:gpsbabel.              <DIR>        08-11-03  8:31a ...             <DIR>        08-11-03  8:31a ..877      GPX     1,280,399  06-10-03  2:32a 877.gpxGPSBABEL EXE       348,672  07-15-03  9:45a gpsbabel.exeMAPOPO~1 STY         1,093  08-11-03  8:39a mapopolis.style         3 file(s)      1,630,164 bytes         2 dir(s)        5,403.42 MB freeC:gpsbabel>gpsbabel -i gpx,gsshortnames -f 877.gpx -o xcsv,style=mapopolis.style -F mapconverter.txtC:gpsbabel>dir mapconverter.txt Volume in drive C has no label Volume Serial Number is 3A30-1AF2 Directory of C:gpsbabelMAPCON~1 TXT        13,433  08-11-03  8:41a mapconverter.txt         1 file(s)         13,433 bytes         0 dir(s)        5,403.41 MB free

Nobody ever said it would be easy. Do-able, but not easy for the casual user. icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps!

alex

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

alex,

Does this work for the new version of mapopolis, or just the old?

I'm ready to buy a full version of mapopolis, but I KNOW the minute I do, I'll find a Pocket PC app that allows bulk load.

Let me know when you find that app. icon_smile.gif This works only for Mapopolis version 3.x. I've only tested it on the PocketPC version, also.

This thread got me looking at all this again yesterday for about an hour or so. Suddenly the evil hack that's been staring me in the face for weeks occurred to me. Mapopolis version 4 will convert maplets from version 3 on the fly. I can make version 3 maps with mapconverter. If I can convert from a version 3 "mapconverter map" to a version 3 maplet, I'm there. The file formats are quite similar and I'm hoping it's just a different arrangement of the same bytes. Essentially enslave mapconverter do the dirty geometry / math work that I can't figure out.

I probably won't have time to put any code to it any time soon, but I'll keep the world posted as to whether it worked or not. icon_smile.gif

If you can't beat 'em, force them to do your dirty work I always say. icon_wink.gif

GPX -> GPSbabel -> mapconverter -> map2maplet -> Mapopolis.

Yes, it will be even more nasty than the stuff mentioned above.

And like you, I'm ready to plop down cash for the full subscription to version 4. I think after all the time I've put into this little conversion project trying to work around them, they should give it to me. icon_smile.gif

I really think they don't realize the market they're missing by opening up to the world of people who want to go to coordinates, not street addresses or the local mall. sigh.

alex

Thanks Alex....

Got it to work...

Created a "bat" file to include the directory change and your command line so all i have to do is run the bat file...

By the way the current new release version has support for xcsv format.

An additional note for anyone else going to use this , on the command line, substitute your name for your gpx file for "877.gpx"

Thanks again for your help.....

I don't do Mapopolis, but if Alex would like to include that style in GPSBabel (adding doc and perhaps renaming it "mapconverter") he'd have my encouragement to do so.

That would reduce some the pain in that process

I think I'd even chip in the code to add __FILE__ expansion in the PROLOGUE lines if it'd make this less ugly. (I'm shocked that people write file names IN the file - what happens if you rename one of these files?)

One problem still exists in the input into mapconverter......

Some gpx entries have a comma in the description entry itself and this adds an extra comma in the line and causes mapconverter to stop with an error. It does show the line number and the line itself, so it is easy to use notepad and delete the comma but is their any way to correct this in the style file ????

quote:

One problem still exists in the input into mapconverter......

Some gpx entries have a comma in the description entry itself and this adds an extra comma in the line and causes mapconverter to stop with an error.

Are you sure you picked up Alex's fix:

quote:

I also noticed that I muffed up the original version. The line that reads:

BADCHARS "

should read:

BADCHARS ",

It's likely the BADCHARS wouldn't have to contain COMMA if the output itself were quoted.

Alex, I'd go:

GPX -> GPSbabel -> mapconverter -> map2maplet -> Particle accelerator -> hair dresser -> body shop -> laundry mat -> Mapopolis

if it meant I could have all my waypoints in Mapopolis icon_smile.gif

This is really killing me. Such a great program, such a HUGE oversight. Anyone hear from Mapopolis when/if they plan on ever offering that feature? If I knew it was coming, I'd still feel comfortable buying.

And if you can figure out an import workaround, alex, let me know. For the record they should give you a 10% share in the company if you do... not just a free copy icon_smile.gif

If I can help, also let me know. I'm a programmer, though my expertise is a bit out of the byte and bits arena these days. I may be able to help if you want though.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

On a whim, I emailed mapopolis today. Got a positive response, let's see what comes from it.

quote:

Thanks, I will send these on to the programmers and we will let you know if

we need anything else.

Cheryl

----- Original Message -----

To: "Mapopolis Support" <info@mapopolis.com>

Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 9:10 PM

Subject: RE: Mapopolis v.4 waypoint loading

> Well, geocachers get their bulk listings in a format called GPX from a

> service offered via geocaching.com called "pocket queries". It is an XML

> file that provides all the data, including name and coordinates, type of

> geocache, etc. I can dig up the XML specification for it and I could also

> ask the people at Groundspeak (owners of geocaching.com) if it would be

okay

> to supply a copy of my pocket query for your reference. It states in my

> user agreement that I'm not allowed to distribute it so I don't want to

get

> you or I into trouble. I'm sure they'd be okay with this though.

>

> Other than GPX format, most cachers use "GPS Babel" to convert the GPX

file

> to a variety of formats. These formats include a comma seperated values

> format file, a "Maptech" format, pocket streets and trips pushpin files,

> Delorme Xmap format, etc.

>

> I think I even have an old version so there are more conversions now and

> additional ones could be added. In general, either a direct import of the

> GPX format or the CSV format would be ideal I think. CSV would be really

> easy for you to work with and is also a pretty standard format. This

> example just has latitude, longitude (both in decimal), and the cache name

> which would just be the name of a 'landmark'. Another field that's not in

> here, but would be incredibly useful is an 'icon' field so you could set a

> variety of icons on bulk imported points.

>

> I can get some more opinions on it if you'd like me to, but CSV is where

I'd

> put my money if I were to bet on the best input format option for the

> average person. Those with even basic knowledge of computing can create a

> CSV file in Excel for import. If you were using CSV, the fields I think

> that would be required for mapopolis to handle as a minimum would be

> latitude, longitude, waypoint name, waypoint icon, any extra meta-data

that

> Mapopolis will take. And ideally the program would allow you to enter

> Latitude, longitude and name, leaving the other items optional and

skipping

> them if they are not present, using some kind of default.

>

> There is a pretty active thread in the geocaching.com forums on this

topic.

> If you wanted to join the site and ask there, I'm sure you'd get plenty of

> feedback. There is also a fairly active topic running on gpspassion.com

>

> gc.com thread:

>

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=7116058331&m=870607

> 26

>

> I've attached some of the conversions and can ask about GPX if you'd like

to

> see it. Hope this helps and please contact me if you need any additional

> clarification on these things. I'm anxious to help if it'll see this

> feature to fruition icon_smile.gif

>

> --

> Mike Wunderlich (trippy1976 @ geocaching.com and mi-geocaching.org)

> Michigan Geocaching Organization

> Email: mike@mi-geocaching.org

> Web : http://www.mi-geocaching.org

> Snail: P.O. Box 321, Lake Orion, MI 48361

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: Mapopolis Support [mailto:info@mapopolis.com]

> Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 6:00 PM

> To: "Mike Wunderlich"

> Subject: Fw: Mapopolis v.4 waypoint loading

> Importance: High

>

>

> Hi Mike

>

> Do you know what a STANDARD INPUT FILE for this purpose would include?

If

> we do something, we only want to do it once.

>

> Thanks

> Cheryl @ Mapopolis Support

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> > From: "Mark Jones" <markjones@core.com>

> > To: "Mapopolis Support" <info@mapopolis.com>

> > Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 6:40 PM

> > Subject: Re: Mapopolis v.4 waypoint loading

> >

> >

> > > Hi,

> > >

> > > It would be helpful if we had a concrete example of a file they want

to

> > > convert. I looked at that geocaching site a while back and there

seemed

> to

> > > be multiple standards.

> > >

> > > Mark

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ----- Original Message -----

> > > From: "Mapopolis Support" <info@mapopolis.com>

> > > To: "Matt Kuenzel" <matt@mapopolis.com>; "Mark Jones"

> <markjones@core.com>

> > > Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 6:06 PM

> > > Subject: Fw: Mapopolis v.4 waypoint loading

> > >

> > >

> > > > This issue relates to the mapconverter not working with 4.x PPC so I

> am

> > > > sending it to both of you.

> > > >

> > > > I have been telling people to use 3.x with the Map Converter or 4.x

> > > without

> > > > (with easier entry on the fly).

> > > >

> > > > Are there any plans to make 4.x work with the map converter or to

> offer

> > an

> > > > alternate means of mass data entry for this purpose?

> > > >

> > > > Thanks,

> > > > Cheryl

> > > >

> > > > ----- Original Message -----

> > > > From: "Mike Wunderlich" <mike@wunderware.com>

> > > > To: <info@mapopolis.com>

> > > > Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 5:38 PM

> > > > Subject: Mapopolis v.4 waypoint loading

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > > Is bulk loading of waypoints a planned addition to the newest

> version

> > of

> > > > > Mapopolis software?

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm having pains over this as it's my primary desired feature in

any

> > > > mapping

> > > > > application. I think Mapopolis is the most solid app out there,

but

> I

> > > am

> > > > > wondering if I can justify the purchase if it'll never offer me

the

> > full

> > > > range

> > > > > of features I wish. I don't neccesarily expect them /now/ but if

I

> > > cannot

> > > > be

> > > > > assured this is on the roadmap, I am hesitant to invest in a copy.

> > > > >

> > > > > There has been much talk accross many GPS forums and Geocaching

> forums

> > > > about

> > > > > this feature but I've been unable to find an official comment from

> > > > Mapopolis

> > > > > about what the plans are to implement this.

> > > > >

> > > > > Many people are trying to make up 'work arounds' in the time

being.

> > Is

> > > > there

> > > > > any way (even convoluded) that this can be accomplished right now?

> I

> > > even

> > > > > know some people who may be willing to support a community driven

> > > > development

> > > > > effort if the information on how to accomplish this was made

> > available.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's such a great program. It practically breaks my heart this

> > feature

> > > is

> > > > > missing. Having to enter dozens of waypoints manually makes this

> > almost

> > > > > perfect application a nuisance to use. If this were in it, it'd

be

> > like

> > > > mana

> > > > > sent from heaven for us geocachers.

> > > > >

> > > > > --

> > > > > --

> > > > > Mike Wunderlich

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

I've worked with Cheryl over at Mapopolis in the past so she emailed me as well about these sugestions asking for more info. I sent her a sample gpx file from one of my pocket querries and offered to help out in any way I can.

These folks just flat rock, I have a feeling they are going to work this feature in for us!

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

The minute you get three field CSV, you'll realize you want more - you wanted longer text, icon types, and so on. Just expose the details of whatever file format they now have and it'll all come clean. There's no need to invent any new wheels.

Ditto. I believe the current information as captured by mapconverter is sufficient. The minute someone shows them a GPX or geocaching.com .LOC, they'll be screaming XML parser and pushing it way to the bottom of the pile of things to do. If they supply the conduit, the community will figure out how to force things through it. icon_smile.gif

It makes me wonder if I didn't hack someone over there off early in the game. I've send upwards of a half dozen mails to various @mapopolis.com addresses and have received a total of one reply. ?

If someone does step up and is willing to release developer style information, please keep me in the loop. I'll offer up an incognito email address in case I'm in some sort of unwanted email filter. icon_smile.gif

alex

Here's what I just got from them:

<pre>

Hi,

We found an answer to your question and included it below.

Question:

It would be amazing if you could publish how to write our own maplet files. Ideally, mapopolis could read .gpx files. However, that will require a bit of work. If you could just let us know how the maplet files are setup, I can write a doodad that will convert a .gpx file to your format.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan Blace

GeoCacher

Answer:

Hi Ryan,

Check back in a month or so -- our programmers are working on something here (for Pocket PC, not Palm OS).

Please let us know if you need further assistance

Thanks,

Mapopolis Support

</pre>

quote:
Originally posted by BatteryPoweredFun:

I just sent an email asking for the spec to their "Place Guide" format. I figure I can write a doodad to take a .gpx file and instad of a "Fairfax City VA Demo Platinum Place Guide LC" it might be "Fairfax 30 mile radius, last week Cache Place Guide".

Here's a web page that references that doodad (version 3 place guides, I think). Strangely enough, the source code is missing from the link (pgpdb2txt.c). If you feel you can work with it (it's ANSI C), let me know. I've got it here somewhere. It's a start.

alex

quote:

Check back in a month or so -- our programmers are working on something here (for Pocket PC, not Palm OS).

Did you ask for file formats or a converter tool? If they'd just document their formats, this conversation would have been over long ago.

As for Alex's link, replace "sw" with "geo".

quote:

I just noticed that the latest version of gpsbabel, Released Aug 13, has a Mapopolis Mapconverter output file type now in its frontend program.

Thanks to whoever took the time to add it......

but what can I do with that? I have v4.

"They don't serve breakfast in hell" - newsboys

I don't have specific information, but Crashmore and I both spoke with them and supplied them with GPX files and CSV files (generated by GPS Babel from the GPX) and I believe they are working on an import feature for ver 4.X that uses one or both.

My email about it is pasted above. I asked that they provide import capability for any data their maplets support like icons, etc.

I'm hoping to see something like that soon. And to see an email with a one month timeframe rocks my world.

If you have V4... you're stuck until Mapopolis publishes something. But it does appear that we've been listened to and that they are working at it. Great news IMHO.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:

but what can I do with that? I have v4.

Currently nothing. GPSBabel's mapconverter output simply eases the pain of converting from whatever format to something that can be used by Mapopolis's Mapconverter program, which only works for version 3 Mapopolis. It essntially turns my instructions above from Aug. 10th & 11th into a single command line. Much, much simpler and within the grasp of the average computer user. icon_smile.gif

alex

http://home.mn.rr.com/richardsons/geo/pgpdb2txt.c

is a huge help; however, it doesn't describe the entire format of the file. Is is enough to read from them, but I'm not sure the other direction would generate a file mapopolis likes.

And, I still can't get my arms around if .pdb files are what we are looking for. I'm only interested in V4 of this little gem.

If the studs at Mapapolis are going to have something in the next month or so.... I will find it hard to put too much time into this. <laughing> Let's at least see what they come up with.

Crashmore and I got a beta version of Mapopolis' new GPX import utility. It takes in a GPX file and converts it into maplets for the version 4.X software. It's SUPER fast and works great.

We are working to get a readme.txt ready for it with some instructions and known limitations before it goes out to the world, but it won't be long now.

It's the best thing since sliced cheese, I have to say icon_smile.gif

MANY thanks to the Mapopolis crew for kicking this out so quickly.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:

Crashmore and I got a beta version of Mapopolis' new GPX import utility. It takes in a GPX file and converts it into maplets for the version 4.X software. It's SUPER fast and works great.

1. Please tell me it doesn't run *on* the PDA.

2. Pleaes tell me it will accept command line arguments and not force you to use a GUI to get anything done. Not all of us like pointing and clicking if we don't have to. (and even find it to be a nuisance for certain tasks).

Please?

Either way, congrats on getting the point across to the proper folks!

icon_smile.gif

alex

Ok since Cheryl has pretty much told us it's cool to redistribute this you can find the conversion utility here

http://www.mdgps.net/pocketcaching/gpxtomaplet.zip

I have also included a rough copy of a how to doc for the utility in adobe pdf format.

Cheryl and the whole gang over at mapopolis have been ultra cool in delivering this util to the caching community. If any of you guys end up buying the software as a result be sure to let them know you're a geocacher in the process. At this point these folks really do deserve our support!

"Law pain i reviar mistar aen"

quote:
Originally posted by crashmore:

Well you'll be happy on 1 of the 2 points. First it is a gui. It is a very simple and fast gui but it is a gui. 2nd the program does run on the pc and not the pda.

Having just looked at it, it's showing a good bit of promise. For the record,

it does accept command line arguments. For example:

gpxtomaplet.exe 877.gpx

will run the app bypassing the first "select input file" screen and essentially just process the GPX into a maplet.

I still have to work around the other "OK" button nags, but it's close. icon_smile.gif

Ok, this is the best thing since sliced bread. I got a copy from Cheryl before it was posted elsewhere. I love it.

Told the staff at Mapopolis that their program was by far the best thing running on my Axim.

Sounds like they have other geocaching things in consideration after a big European project they are working on right now.

"They don't serve breakfast in hell" - newsboys

Making GPXtoMaplet "clickless"

I'm assuming that some others may have the same requirements as I do, so here's a few steps for creating a "clickless" GPStoMaplet. Please note that this information is supplied without any warranty. You're on your own. icon_wink.gif

1. Locate mapcopy.exe on your hard drive (C:Mapopolis) and rename it something else (mapcopy.bak). This will inhibit the execution of the "Would you like to copy this maplet to your PDA?" program after GPXtoMaplet is complete. THIS WILL ALSO DISABLE YOUR ABILITY TO CLICK ON A MAPLET AND COPY IT TO YOUR PDA.

2. In your favorite hex editor, change the bytes at 0x127a from:

24 0C 55 68 00 90 40 00 42 55 52 55 3B F5 74 09

to:

24 0C 55 68 00 90 40 00 42 55 90 90 3B F5 02 09

This will inhibit the "Created file: c:blah..." "click ok" dialog box.

This allows for batch processing without the need for human intervention. For example:

echo "Mapopolis Maplet - Louisiana"REM **** Note the next line has the GPX file to process on the command line ****C:GPSGPXTOMAPLETGPXTOMAPLET 877.gpxREM **** We move the file by here to our PDA's Synch directory ****move 877.mlp C:My DocumentsiPAQ My DocumentsMapletsLouisiana.mlp

This works for me! (so far)

alex