Lanyard for Meridians?

I had read Majic's message about someone yanking his lanyard and I thought "hey, yeah, I forgot I need to get that out..." And connect it to what? No clips, eyeholes, nothing... My Magellan canvas case doesn't have a clip like a cellphone so that's useless. It's too big to stuff in my pocket and it's too inconventiant to stop and pack it...

The way I see it, I'll just huck it in the general direction of the car... It'll be like a second find on my way back from a cache...

How do you guys carry yours handsfree? Have you modified it in some way?

Edit: Looking at my datacable, I wonder if I can't make an eyehook and thread the end to use the same hole the cable screws into?

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

I got an old cellphone jacket with a belt clip that's held on by 2 rivets... I'm wondering if I can't rivet that clip on my Meridian case and then line that inside part with some felt (so the rivets don't scratch the unit...)

This is something I'm definately gonna solve... I've only found a few caches, but it's annoyed me every time... icon_smile.gif

geosig.jpg

I got an old cellphone jacket with a belt clip that's held on by 2 rivets... I'm wondering if I can't rivet that clip on my Meridian case and then line that inside part with some felt (so the rivets don't scratch the unit...)

This is something I'm definately gonna solve... I've only found a few caches, but it's annoyed me every time... icon_smile.gif

geosig.jpg

I am retired Army, and I live near Ft. Bliss. I bring this up, because I carry my GPS (E-Trex) in a military pouch. In fact, when I am high-speed hiking, I strap it on the the top of my web gear shoulder harness so it can track as I go. If I need to look at it, I just pull open the velcro flap, and slide the unit out. To protect the face of the E-Trex, I lined the pouch with that green felt you can cut and ctick on lamp bottoms, etc.

I do not know which unit you have, but almost anything from pager carriers through pistol magazine holders, M-16 magazine holders, and even pistol holsters - all might work. Got a carrier for a big knife???

Look around. I carry my M-2 compass in a first aid pouch.

Good Luck.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, TX. icon_biggrin.gif

I am retired Army, and I live near Ft. Bliss. I bring this up, because I carry my GPS (E-Trex) in a military pouch. In fact, when I am high-speed hiking, I strap it on the the top of my web gear shoulder harness so it can track as I go. If I need to look at it, I just pull open the velcro flap, and slide the unit out. To protect the face of the E-Trex, I lined the pouch with that green felt you can cut and ctick on lamp bottoms, etc.

I do not know which unit you have, but almost anything from pager carriers through pistol magazine holders, M-16 magazine holders, and even pistol holsters - all might work. Got a carrier for a big knife???

Look around. I carry my M-2 compass in a first aid pouch.

Good Luck.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, TX. icon_biggrin.gif

When I bought the windshield mount I found I no longer needed the screw with the D-ring from the external power supply so I put a small lanyard on that and screw it in when carrying in my hand. When I am on longer hikes and the GPS is in the canvas case on my belt the lanyard is looped onto the zipper pull

Eagle creek makes a product called the apck=it system. One of the gadgets is a small bag with a zipper and a clip. It also has a place to attacha cord if you wish. The bag will allow the GPS to continue to receive. You could set this up for your belt of with a camera starp that would allow it around your neck or on your shoulder. I got mine at Galyan's an outdoor store. I;m sure they are available elswhere.

go to Target or Wal-mart and you can get a belt clip for nokia phones. Just use the nob with the stick-um on it instead of the one that clips on to the battery. I've been using mine for several months and the sticky stuff is still stuck (say that 10 times fast) Anyway then you can clip it to your belt or whatever. I've even gotten an extra clip and zip-tied it to my bike so now I've got a bike mount as well - all for 5 bucks!

I bought a six pocket fanny pack from Wally world in the sporting goods there is also an attachable water bottle kit that comes extra and the gold fits perfect in it if your interested get there soon as they are seasonal with the hunting displays also its good for carring extra goodies for trading

All who look are not lost

[This message was edited by vagabond on July 19, 2002 at 03:44 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by jasbo:

go to Target or Wal-mart and you can get a belt clip for nokia phones. Just use the nob with the stick-um on it instead of the one that clips on to the battery. I've been using mine for several months and the sticky stuff is still stuck (say that 10 times fast) Anyway then you can clip it to your belt or whatever. I've even gotten an extra clip and zip-tied it to my bike so now I've got a bike mount as well - all for 5 bucks!

I use a phone nob with a tether or ultra belt clip clipped to my pack.

http://www.theclip.com/mall/tether.asp

I was unhappy with the ultra clip until I figured out it wasn't stuck and all you need to is push a button to release the GPS.

I took my Sportrak Pro into a sporting good store and tried out the cellphone carrying cases until I found one that fit properly. This one had a belt clip as well as a belt loop for more permanent protection. I haven't had any issues with it so far and have had it for about 2 months.

Lost? Keep going. Your making good time anyway!!!

I was also getting tired of carrying my Meridian in my hand and really wanted a belt clip like I have on my MAP330. So I bought a second swivel dashboard mount and a belt clip case for a Motorola phone. I threw out the swivel base and cut away the mounting points on the back of the plastic support that holds the Meridian. I removed the belt clip from the Motorola case (and threw away what was left of the case) and then epoxied (is that a word?) the belt clip to the back of the support. I still have the button on the top to release the unit when I want to hold it but I've found that it's just as easy to grab and hold the whole unit - clip and all. So far I'm very pleased with this solution. If anyone in interested in seeing some pictures of my creation, email me at bhench@worldnet.att.net

Bob