Magellan MapSend DirectRoute

embra

Someone in the Yahoo group spotted a new press release on the Magellan web site today--new software on two CDs with autorouting capacity. Maps are based upon NavTech database, runs on "most" Meridian and SporTraks.

Read all about it here

They also announced a new SporTrak that will come with 108 MB of topo maps preloaded (US, I think).

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

Since they mention autorouting, voice navigation, I'm assuming there will soon be some new receivers out to take advantage of these features. One thing I hate about Magellan press releases however is the bad info they give out such as:

quote:
the Fall introduction of the Magellan® MapSend® DirectRouteTM software, the first street-routing software designed specifically for recreational GPS handhelds.

Are they trying to say magellan units are just for fun, and units such as the G-V are "professional"?

Whatever the case, the NavTech database should finally bring the Magellan units up to the mapping quality that Garmin has had for awhile now. If only we can talk them into upgrading the TOPO from the DEM they now use......

quote:
Originally posted by Searching_ut:

Since they mention autorouting, voice navigation,

Neither the word "voice" nor the word "spoken" appear. It says "audio-prompted". Which probably means it's like the GPS-V - it'll emit a wimpy little beep when you you're approaching a turn.

There's a lot the press release doesn't say, but I'm looking forward to seeing it!

roberlipe said:

quote:
Neither the word "voice" nor the word "spoken" appear. It says "audio-prompted". Which probably means it's like the GPS-V - it'll emit a wimpy little beep when you you're approaching a turn.

Bummer. It would appear in my initial excitement of reading about new software, I read what I was hoping to see, rather than what they had actually written. Now I'm really confused as to what they are offering a first in? icon_frown.gif They did indeed say audio rather than voice, which could mean just about anything.

Guess we'll have to wait till fall......

All is not lost though. I re-read more carefully, and they did indeed say it's a Navtech database.

I can't believe I let myself get excited over a press release. You'd think I would know better by now.......

If they can offer turn-by-turns from geocache to geocache at a reasonable price for my existing receiver, they'll be my heros. (If, instead, they offer some PC-only "solution" or only address-to-address or such, I'll be much less excited.)

The Navtech maps are capable. It'll be interesting to see how "right" they get this. I'd _love_ to see it...

quote:
Originally posted by stutzismydog:

I use my MeriPlat on my ATV for trail riding in the extreme boon docks and use the ToPo maps for guidance on logging roads. I wonder how or if the new Navtech based software will help when using ToPo??

I was wondering the exact same thing... I'm not giving up my Topo for turn based autorouting. If they live together in harmony, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:I was wondering the exact same thing... I'm not giving up my Topo for turn based autorouting. If they live together in harmony, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. icon_wink.gif

As has been observed, there's a lot that the press release doesn't say, but I think the key sentence for this concern is:

quote:

The addition of this software enhances versatility of Magellan handhelds like never before, enabling users to access topographic maps, marine charts and street navigation – all on a single Magellan receiver.

quote:
Interesting... 108MB of Topo detail and only 16MB available for street level detail.
Makes sense on a unit wth only RS-232 and no expandable memory.

Memory is cheap, and big numbers look good on advertising lit. But no user will want to spend 4 hours downloading maps via serial port! So Thales preloads at the factory with the one kind of data least likely to change: topo. Costs little extra, appeals to a specific class of buyers, and looks like an awesome piece of equipment (on paper. Until you study it too closely :-)

Personally, I'd rather see (in this order):

1) ACCURATE maps

2) Better designed user interface on the map software

3) Hosting the map software on both PC and MAC

4) USB or FIreWire Connectivity for the GPS

5) SD card slot in something the size of the SporTrak.

---

LDR.

I really have my doubts about the quality of routes it creates on the unit (if it will even do it on the GPSr) since it mentions only "shortest route" as an option. To me this means it will make really stupid decisions that involve allot of turns on side streets (I am assuming that it thinks all streets allow the same speeds, so it will avoid an interstate if it is further away than a side streets).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

[This message was edited by phantom4099 on August 17, 2003 at 10:44 PM.]